Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2018, 12:57 PM   #1
20pilot
Registered Member

Red Sea Reefer 170

I have been out the hobby for about 8 years and just getting back in. My son was looking through some old pictures and saw my tank and instantly became interested. After going to a couple of LFS I knew a tank was going to be in our future. I came across what I thought was a good deal on a Red Sea Reefer 170 so I pulled the trigger. The tank has been up and running for about a week now. This has been exciting putting the tank together with my son. He has been hands on the whole time, just waiting to get everything fined tuned before the fun of stocking the tank.

Here is a list of equipment:

Red Sea Reefer 170
MP10
VarioS 4 Return pump
Reef Octopus 110SSS
Hydra 26 HD
30Lbs Live Rock
30lbs Live sand

I was hoping to get some advice with a couple of things:

I am having a problem with a gurgling noise coming from the overflow, its extremely loud. Any suggestions on getting it to quiet up some. I have tried adjusting the valve but I cant seem to get it dialed in.

What speed should I be running the return pump and mp10 ?

My plan is to buy an Apex classic controller with eb8 to control all of the equipment. I need to replace the ATO and I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation. The factory one was removed by the previous owner. I have an old Kent Marine Maxxima 35GPD RODI unit. I just ordered filters so I want to start getting the top off going as quick as possible to keep the tank as consistent as possible.

I appreciate any feedback, I'm sure I will have more questions as I go along, but I really do appreciate this site and all of the information.

20pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 12:26 PM   #2
bitwise
Registered Member

I have the same tank. I have to adjust the valve on the return pipe every week or sometimes twice a week. The trick is to make relatively small adjustments (like 1/8 turn) at a time and then wait a minute and see if it fixes the issue. If the water level is at the top of the overflow chamber, open up the valve by turning counter-clockwise. If the opposite is true, close the valve.

I think the manual says what your return flow target (in GPH) should be. You can probably find this information online. For the mp10, go with what is compatible with your fish and corals. I've run two mp10s on this tank at 80%+ with no problems - but this was very high flow.

Tunze 3155 ATO has worked very well for me but it's pricey.

For your RO system, if you haven't installed the new filters already, I suggest looking online on how to bleach out the system and install new filters. I was surprised to find out, a few years into the hobby, how many best practices there are for RO systems.

Unread 12/10/2018, 01:31 PM   #3
20pilot
Registered Member

Thanks for the response! I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to adjust it with no luck, it gets quieter but still really loud!

Thanks for the Help with the RO water. I will definitely look into that!

20pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2018, 09:44 AM   #4
smatter
Registered Member

The water level in the overflow box should be a half inch or so below the emergency drain. There shouldn't be any noise as it is a full siphon if adjusted correctly. You shouldn't see/hear any bubbles in the sump.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote