Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2018, 08:31 AM   #1
Scott07
Registered Member

Euthanise or Attempt to Save?

I just pulled my blue spotted watchman goby from my 65. He has some sort of disease or fungus which seems to be eating away at his scales/skin. I've been watching this go on for about a week, but as he lives in a cave on the back side of my rocks, been unable to pull him. I just found him swimming erratically near the surface so took the opportunity to get him out. My gut is telling me he's too far gone and euthanasia may be the most humane option. But.... i will certainly attempt to treat him if anyone feels he may recover. Pictures attached. Additionally, he's been in this tank for nearly 2 years, and was initially qt'd, ttm'd, and given a few rounds of prazipro.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180815_102402.jpg (48.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20180815_102440.jpg (25.4 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Scott07; 08/15/2018 at 08:37 AM.
Scott07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 08:45 AM   #2
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott07 View Post
I just pulled my blue spotted watchman goby from my 65. He has some sort of disease or fungus which seems to be eating away at his scales/skin. I've been watching this go on for about a week, but as he lives in a cave on the back side of my rocks, been unable to pull him. I just found him swimming erratically near the surface so took the opportunity to get him out. My gut is telling me he's too far gone and euthanasia may be the most humane option. But.... i will certainly attempt to treat him if anyone feels he may recover. Pictures attached. Additionally, he's been in this tank for nearly 2 years, and was initially qt'd, ttm'd, and given a few rounds of prazipro.
I would always try to treat. I don't know what to even suggest to begin to treat though, I'm not sure what that is.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 08:49 AM   #3
Scott07
Registered Member

I have on hand tetra fungus guard tablets for fresh water.... not sure they make anything salt water specific. I'm thinking about trying this... doing some more research first though.

Unread 08/15/2018, 12:11 PM   #4
hkgar
Registered Member

Try taking your question to the Reef Diseases forum.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 12:13 PM   #5
Scott07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Try taking your question to the Reef Diseases forum.
Good suggestion. I've got him in a temporary qt now, so I'm committed to trying what i can.