Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/30/2018, 08:35 PM   #1
BClute
Registered Member

H.Mag QT setup w/pics

So today my Mag Nem came in and I have spent all day setting up my qt tank instead of going to work haha. I'm currently using a 5.5 gallon for the QT tank. I the tank I have a HOB filter with a 50 watt heater and two air stones. I also have a very small wave maker like PH but I think it might be over kill to turn it on , at least at this point in the game. I'm
Also using a 10 gallon tank to mix fresh saltwater every night or 24 hours in advance. Temp is being kept at 79/80 degrees and SG at 1.024.

In reality I honestly don't know if the nem needs the Cipro treatment. It arrived deflated (of course) and the mouth was open exposing its stringy noodle looking insides, but it seems it has since closed up a good bit. That being said, I'm still going to run the treatment just bc of stories I read of a Mag looking good upon arrival and then a day or 2 later sh*t hits the fan.

I put the Mag in the qt tank around 1:00 today and plan on doing my first dose of 175mg Cipro at 10pm tonight when I shut off the lights and go to bed. Then lights will be off for 12 hours when I will then turn the lights back on at 10am. I will complete a WC when I get home from work around 8:00pm and then dose again at 10pm after lights are off which will be 9pm.

As far as lighting goes I have a new set of 40watt LEDs running but I have them on the lowest setting possible as these things are bright and don't want to fry the nem. I will turn it up maybe 4 out of 10 (each color has a intensity setting of 1-10), and then continue to up it each day.

I plan on doing this routine for at least 5 days.

Please if anyone had some words of advice please please chime in as this is my first attempt.

Here are some pics of the qt tank and Nem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BClute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 08:42 PM   #2
OrionN
Moved on

Hope he will do well for you. That anemone looks more like a BTA than a Mag at this point. Take a picture of he mouth if you can.
Good luck

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 09:08 AM   #3
BClute
Registered Member

H.Mag QT setup w/pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Hope he will do well for you. That anemone looks more like a BTA than a Mag at this point. Take a picture of he mouth if you can.
Good luck

Thanks! I guess it could be some other type of nem. It was almost completely inflated this morning before I turned on the lights, but deflated when I turned the lights on. I'll snap a pic when it inflates again when it adjusts to the light.

Is that common for the Mag to deflate upon lights turning on? Yesterday I had the intensity at 1 out of 10 for both the blue and white "spectrum". I was planning on doing 4 out of 10 today but just turned it down to 2 out of 10 till the nem inflates again.

Also, if I remember correctly you also dose the Cipro right before lights out for the night. Now do you do the water change in the morning after 12 hours or do you wait till almost 24 hours to complete the WC I.e right before you dose?

Thanks for the response!

Last edited by BClute; 01/31/2018 at 10:01 PM.
Unread 01/31/2018, 10:57 AM   #4
D-Nak
Registered Member

Wow--my first reaction to the photos was that it's either a BTA or a different species of nem, but not a mag. The tentacles are very pointy where mags typically have blunt ends.

Hopefully it'll make it through QT so we can ID it.

Unread 01/31/2018, 11:10 AM   #5
BClute
Registered Member

Is it possible it's a sebae? I'm gonna be ****ed if it is..

Unread 01/31/2018, 11:43 AM   #6
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClute View Post
Is it possible it's a sebae? I'm gonna be ****ed if it is..

My LFS got a few of these a while ago, where the size and shape looks about right for a mag, but the tentacles were too pointy. We weren't able to figure out what they were, but they're nice-looking nems regardless. Still a nice pick up!

Unread 01/31/2018, 12:02 PM   #7
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
My LFS got a few of these a while ago, where the size and shape looks about right for a mag, but the tentacles were too pointy. We weren't able to figure out what they were, but they're nice-looking nems regardless. Still a nice pick up!

The foot is conducive of a Mag.. it was orange when it came in, but now it's looking more pink and is very pillowy, delicate and large. It doesn't remind me of any other foot of a nem I've had before which is most besides a Mag.

Unread 01/31/2018, 05:28 PM   #8
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post

So I just got home from work a lil while ago and he still hasn't opened up like he was right before I turned the lights on this morning. That being said, his foot is more visible so I snapped a few pics. The color of said foot actually looked orange yesterday when it arrived but now it's looking more pink.. It's weird, it's like 50 percent of her tentacles are blunt like they should be but the other half are pointed. Let me know what you think (all blue LEDs were turned off to show true color and the White LEDs turned down about 75):

Unread 01/31/2018, 05:48 PM   #9
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Good luck

So I created a lil more turbulence and turned off the blue LEDs and she started to open a little. Here's the best I can do of the mouth for now. It's easier to see IRL. It's closed and sticks up like a protruding Rectum which I believe is conducive to Mags. I'll try to get a better one if she opens up more:

Unread 01/31/2018, 09:10 PM   #10
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Good luck

Here's a couple better pics of the mouth. The second one is like 30 min after the 90% water change and about 15 min after the cipro dose thus the cloudiness. Let me know what you think:

Unread 01/31/2018, 09:27 PM   #11
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Good luck

The more I look at it the more I think you're right as far as it being a BTA... I'm very frustrated haha. I've wanted a Mag for years and have waited and waited and finally pull the trigger, get everything set up, and this is what I get ... errrr!!!

Unread 01/31/2018, 09:33 PM   #12
OrionN
Moved on

I think he is a BTA but not 100% certain. Wait until her recover a bit.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 01/31/2018, 10:05 PM   #13
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:

I'm about 90 % sure you and Mag are right about it being a BTA.. and to think I was so sure it wasn't one earlier haha. I think I was. Just so excited to have a Mag that logic went out the window... the lines to the mouth give it away.. I'm really annoyed with LA at the moment.. seeing a Mag host a clown fish is what got me into the hobby 15 years ago and when I finally decide I'm ready to get one, they send me a BTA... o the irony. LA is going to be getting a nice phone call tomorrow morning that's for sure.

Unread 01/31/2018, 10:56 PM   #14
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:

I'm going to be calling LA to ask for a refund but I'm going to need to send a pic and evidence... what would be your argument(s) that the nem is in fact a BTA and not a Mag? TIA!

Unread 02/01/2018, 06:25 AM   #15
OrionN
Moved on

The lines radiated from the mouth, but at this point it is not clear yet. The shape of the tentacles, the look of the anemone as a whole. However, you really need for him to regain his health first before you have indisputable evidences. Have their biologist looks at the picture and make the decision but don't be too disappoint if they ask you to wait a few days and resend.
Clean clear, in focus picture of the mouth in white light should do it. You can use something to move the tentacles out of the way to show them what you need for them to see.

Unread 02/01/2018, 09:59 AM   #16
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
The lines radiated from the mouth, but at this point it is not clear yet. The shape of the tentacles, the look of the anemone as a whole. However, you really need for him to regain his health first before you have indisputable evidences. Have their biologist looks at the picture and make the decision but don't be too disappoint if they ask you to wait a few days and resend.
Clean clear, in focus picture of the mouth in white light should do it. You can use something to move the tentacles out of the way to show them what you need for them to see.

Did you see this pic?:

Either way I called LA and they're going to process a refund and I ordered a Indonesian Mag last night. Hopefully it will get sent out today and I'll have it tomorrow.. hopefully

Unread 02/01/2018, 05:52 PM   #17
OrionN
Moved on

Great. I am glad that they make good on their mistake. Now you have a BTA you need to get out of your tank.

Unread 02/01/2018, 08:03 PM   #18
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Great. I am glad that they make good on their mistake. Now you have a BTA you need to get out of your tank.

Yea I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the BTA (or whatever it is) I just received. I already have one in my tank and my 150 gal has kinda turned into a fish only tank (it's at my parents). I will prob take it to my LFS for a credit.

Unread 02/01/2018, 09:52 PM   #19
FNGsaltwater
Registered Member

I have multiple anemones together with no problem. 1 Mag, Malu, 1 Rock, 3 bubble tips, 1 long tentacle, and a tube anemone. Nurse it back to health before you take it in. You don't want to stress it more by changing environments so rapidly.

FNGsaltwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 10:00 PM   #20
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNGsaltwater View Post
I have multiple anemones together with no problem. 1 Mag, Malu, 1 Rock, 3 bubble tips, 1 long tentacle, and a tube anemone. Nurse it back to health before you take it in. You don't want to stress it more by changing environments so rapidly.

I would love to keep it but don't have room to have a large Mag (arriving tomorrow) and now the Large BTA nem in the same tank. There's also too many other corals/nems in the tank already including 2 small BTAs that I rescued and nursed back to health from a petco (I hate that place) . I totally agree with you though as far as nursing it back together before taking it into my LFS. I won't let it die that's for sure. They have 3 huge display tanks with MHs that I'll put it in (I worked there in my teenage years, and still good friends with the owner) That being said it's looking pretty good today. I think a couple more days and it will be close to 90%.