Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/02/2013, 06:58 AM   #1
daemondamian
Registered Member

Weld-on (3) safety - ventilation/respirator?

Hi folks,
I'm joining some acrylic (perspex) pieces together and am going to use Weld-on 3 with the capillary/pin method and a plasticator syringe.

I have already bought a pack of masks (http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_..._P5810071.aspx) but on further reading I'm not sure if they are suitable as they are not specifically for vapors.

The msds for Weld-on 3 says:
Quote:
RESPIRATORY PROTECTION (Specify type)
Atmospheric levels should be maintained below established exposure limits contained in Section II.

If airborne concentrations exceed those limits, use of a NIOSH approved positive-pressure, full-facepiece SCBA or positive-pressure, full-facepiece supplied air respirator (with an auxiliary positive pressure SCBA) is recommended.

Even for emergency and other conditions where short term exposure guidelines may/may not be exceeded, use of an approved positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) is recommended.
I found this page where such respirators are over $1000(AU)

The other consideration according to the msds is ventilation:

Quote:
VENTILATION
Use only with adequate ventilation. Do not use in close quarters or confined spaces. Open doors and/or windows to ensure airflow and air changes. Use local exhaust ventilation to remove airborne contaminants from employee breathing zone and to keep contaminants below 25 ppm TWA. Use only explosion-proof ventilation equipment.

Monitoring should be performed to determine exposure level(s) IAW (in accordance with) 29 CFR 1910.1052.
I will be doing this underneath the back porch which is loosely enclosed (ribbed polycarbonate sheeting on metal frame with a 15cm gap from wall to roof along the top) but right next to the door directly to outside (which I will keep open).

I intend to wear safety goggles and gloves.

My questions are:
What safety measures re respirators have others taken when using Weld-on products (if any)?

Would something like this Respirator 3m Tekk Protection Half Face Spray Pntr or this Protector Respirator Kit be suitable and/or advisable to use?
Thanks.

Disclaimer - I just want to know what other people have done or if the respirators I've suggested could be used but obviously I'm not seeking safety advice for which I would hold someone else responsible for in any way.

daemondamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2013, 09:53 AM   #2
Joel_155
Registered Member

Not needed. Just use in an open are and youll be fine

Joel_155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2013, 03:35 AM   #3
daemondamian
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply

daemondamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2013, 05:26 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_155 View Post
Not needed. Just use in an open are and youll be fine
Not true..
Read/follow the MSDS sheet for any chemical.

Tags
acrylic, joining, safety, solvents