Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/28/2006, 12:39 AM   #1
morty
Premium Member

online LR supplier - opinions

I am looking for feedback on a good online store for a decent size LR purchase (~250 lb). Ive browsed Jeff's Exotic Fish, Premium Aquatics, Reefer Madness, even Foster Smith. Any others? Or would anyone recommend any of the above? Looking for Fiji or Marshall types, and no aquacultured (FL) stuff, had that before and didnt like it. Cured or uncured doesn't matter. But consistent quality does. thx

morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 12:49 AM   #2
reef_doug
Premium Member

Reefer Madness is a good one.

reef_doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 04:07 AM   #3
2farNorth
Moved On

Reefermadness... check my homepage for a couple pics (little red house) Awesome rock.... Good price in the end!! That and he'll probably give you a deal if you order alot... I got Pukani with some Fiji as base.. (to save a little) If you order though, call in person,, They are good people to talk to!!

2farNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 05:59 AM   #4
KDodds
Registered Member

All Fiji trans-shipped comes from the same supplier, Walt Smith. I'd just go with the best price. Nowadays, anyway, the LR you're going to get out of Fiji is not going to be what it was 5 years ago, not in my experience. Most is pretty white, non-encrusted stuff, maybe some Forams, but not much else.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef/180 FOWLR/125 ARLC/40 Seahorse/12 Planted/12 Planted
KDodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 06:34 AM   #5
nmprisons
Registered Member

i love my premium aquatics rock ... check out tampabaysaltwater.com as well.

Mostly LPS reef (lords, micros, duncans, etc.) with some ricordia florida and zoanthids.

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon, 28lbs of Marshall Island and Kaelini Live Rock, 2x65 power compact lighting, IFS Protein Skimmer
nmprisons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 07:37 AM   #6
eskymick
Registered Member

Call Dale at floridaliverock.com 813-948-9121

Awesome rock, great pricing and very accommodating.

NO2 - .003 mg/L
NO3 - .2 mg/L
Calc. - 420
dKH - 8.0
Flow ~ 80x

Current Tank Info: 24" cube SPS Reef, 15 gal sump, 1- LumenBright Pendant with 250w 20K Phoenix lamp, 1 - Vortech MP40, ATB 840 v1.5 skimmer.
eskymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 08:55 AM   #7
morty
Premium Member

thanks for the feedback -- Reefer Madness also has the Fiji and Tonga "specialized" variants that are a step above the base Fiji stuff (of course at a premium). I may give them a call and ask about it and get a mix. They seemed like the straightest shooters, by including the shipping cost in the price of the rock, etc.

I'm real wary about buying anything from FL, I got some cultured stuff a few years ago and hated it. Weighed at least twice as much as the (admittedly less sustainably) harvested S. Pacific stuff. And guess where most of the phosphate mines are in the US? FL!

Unread 08/28/2006, 10:16 AM   #8
scumonkey
Moved On

http://www.livestockusa.org/SITEMAP.html
having a sale right now.....rock arrives and looks just like the pics!

scumonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 10:18 AM   #9
Earl45
Registered Member

I have purchased a 50 lb bock from reefscience.com for evaluation purposes.

Earl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 12:02 PM   #10
650-IS350
Registered Member

Check out... TAMPABAYSALTWATER...

look at the coral deco rock... lots of life.. sponges, tunicates, coraline algae, etc........

lots of hitchikers good and bad...

650-IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2006, 02:41 PM   #11
smariner
Registered Member

Thanks Earl for giving us a shot... We appreciate the business...

Thanks again,
Chad D. Bryant

smariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2006, 05:11 PM   #12
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
All Fiji trans-shipped comes from the same supplier, Walt Smith.
That most certainly is not true at all. We have been using a source of Fiji for the last 10yrs that has been absolutely amazing. We did have a small leave with the supplier while they were down for a year or so and the rock quality definitely suffered. This down time was about two years ago, all the way up until about this time last year. We then picked back up where we left off with our old supplier and the Fiji is absolutely stunning again!

There is still good Fiji liverock on the market, it is just not quite as plentiful as what it used to be. HTH!

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2006, 07:08 PM   #13
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

They rarely get mentioned around here but I took a shot with rock from saltycritter.com What set them apart with others I talked to is even though I was getting dropshipped rock they were willing to help me selct size and shapes. They did an incredible job and they were very nice to deal with. On top of all that the rock arrived better than expected and was a great price. They also steered me away from a more expensive rock telling me that it hasn't been coming in as nice as it used to.

I got 100lbs of Uaniva rock and the toal weight of what I ordered was 126 lbs, in other words it wasn't a 50lb box of rock with 10lbs. being the box itself.

http://saltycritter.com/liverock.htm

Sorry for the blurry photo but here is what a 50lb. box looks like.

After curing...

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2006, 07:21 PM   #14
smariner
Registered Member

Ewwwwww

cb

smariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2006, 07:31 PM   #15
bigdee65
Premium Member

Peter Eichler that is some great looking rock!!!

I only have experience from ReeferMadness as I ordered a bunch of their Fiji about a year ago and I just put in an order for some of the Kaelini and Buna for a new tank I am doing.

IME they have some great rock!!

bigdee65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2006, 08:13 PM   #16
ducati1212
Registered Member

I used Marine Depot for 44 LBS of fiji. Nice rock a little pricey. Its my first live rock order so I have nothing to compare against. Marine Depot support is also very good as I had made a mistake on my order and they cought it and called me with the correction.

Peter Eichler did you use glue to get that formation to stay. Nice looking.

ducati1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2006, 08:26 PM   #17
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ducati1212
I used Marine Depot for 44 LBS of fiji. Nice rock a little pricey. Its my first live rock order so I have nothing to compare against. Marine Depot support is also very good as I had made a mistake on my order and they cought it and called me with the correction.

Peter Eichler did you use glue to get that formation to stay. Nice looking.
Nope, no glue. Despite how it may look it is rather stable. Sadly I get to start over this week since I've decided to swap out the tank due to some scratches. I figured better to do it now than before I've added and sps or fish.

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2006, 08:50 PM   #18
Lyscer
Registered Member

I bought 120lbs of LR from http://www.intmarinefish.com/ they were really good to work with. I called them on the phone told them what I was planning to do and what type/color of rock I wanted and that's exactly what I got. They sent me a bunch of very nice flat long pieces that I built a "SPS Walkway" with The rock I got has green/red/maroon/teal/blue/orange colorations from the different stuff(I know it's a technical word) that was on the rock. I would buy from them again. and their prices weren't to bad.

DIY Arduino Uno Controller with temp probes and 8 outlets ran from web interface
ReefOctopus Skimmer and Eheim 1262 return

Current Tank Info: 68 Cadlights Versa
Lyscer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2006, 10:12 AM   #19
morty
Premium Member

Thanks again for the feedback!

I went ahead and called Reefer Madness and ordered up a mix of their Fiji buna (66#), Fiji kaelini (88#), Fiji show (88#), and a couple big pieces of their cured kaelini (because I figure it's been seeded by their aquarium-surviving microlife). Chris told me it should all be pretty large pieces, maybe 2 doz total. I already have about 70# of some old "dead" fiji and tonga that will also be sprinkled in (its been bubbling in a plastic container for many months). It will be for a 270g reef when it's all said and done.

I'll try to get some photos and post them as the project moves along.

Morty

Unread 08/30/2006, 10:17 AM   #20
stereomandan
Premium Member

Yes, please take some pics when you get it. I'll be placing an order soon for my 90g tank upgrade, and would like to get an idea of what's out there for LR.

Dan

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon Reef
stereomandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2006, 10:52 AM   #21
mhigg71
Registered Member

Reeferrock is good. Check out there site. www.reeferrock.com

Captn Jer will hook you up!!!!!

mhigg71 is offline   Reply With Quote