Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2006, 11:32 PM   #1
courtneyclv
Registered Member

I want to have a reef tank, timetable of things to add and get?

I have had my tank for about 6 weeks. I am slowly putting in my LR, I only have flourscent bulbs and know I need an upgrade, (something that will fit on top of my 82 inch tank) I also know I need a protein skimmer.

What is a good timetable of things to add to my tank? I want to add an anemone for my clown, get more live rock, and slowly add corals to my tank depending on the lighting I need (I know nothing about what kinds of corals)

I want to make sure I don't do anything too soon though.

Any suggestions?

My fish are...
firefish, royal gramma, majestic angelfish, maroon clownfish. I want to get a tang and also a butterfly if I can with corals.

Patience is a virtue..that I do not have..but I'm working on it!

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon long and short, power filter for 10 gal, fluval 305 canister filter, powerhead, sand substrate,51 lbs live rock, 1 sand sifting sea star, snails,all in display tank. foxface has ich again
courtneyclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2006, 04:28 AM   #2
rkelman
Registered Member

The LR should really have been added before fish.. I wouldn't be thinking anenome for a few months at least (some say a year) Be carefull adding live rock you could cause another cycle and put your fish in danger. I wouldn't add another thing without a skimmer personally.. Especially if you plan on adding more LR. I assume you are adding more becuase you only have 22lbs. Right now your way under filtered for your stock. I wouldnt add corals until the LR is all in. Good luck!

rkelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2006, 02:27 PM   #3
courtneyclv
Registered Member

What kind of LR do you suggest? I have been going with fiji at $6.00 a lb.

There is a place that has Florida aquacultured for $11 a lb and I know it is gorgeous rock. Would you splurge?

Maybe I should add the fiji as my bottom layer and get a few smaller nice pieces of the Florida? Would that go well together?

Patience is a virtue..that I do not have..but I'm working on it!

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon long and short, power filter for 10 gal, fluval 305 canister filter, powerhead, sand substrate,51 lbs live rock, 1 sand sifting sea star, snails,all in display tank. foxface has ich again
courtneyclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2006, 02:44 PM   #4
Lyscer
Registered Member

I bought my live rock from http://www.intmarinefish.com/ Right now it is $3.25/lb. I think it is good looking stuff. I called them on the phone, told them that I wanted pieces that I could put acros on and build caves with and they sent me a lot of nice flat pieces that I built ledges and caves with for my fish. Because I was spending way to much on LR locally. I agree with the other posts. Add a good protein skimmer I would go ASM because from what I read/hear they compare with the Euroreef but are a step under. You can scour this board and find a used one for a decent price. I found my ASM G4 on this board for $325 shipped to me. After you add a skimmer, add the rock.

One thing about getting rock shipped to you though, is that you will have die-off because they ship it to you with no water. So there will be lots of decay and you will need to put the rock in a seperate bin for a week or two and skim the hek out of it and do a couple water changes to make it safe to add to your tank. I would look for used MH units as they are just as much as a good T5 system. That's my 2 cents. Good luck!

DIY Arduino Uno Controller with temp probes and 8 outlets ran from web interface
ReefOctopus Skimmer and Eheim 1262 return

Current Tank Info: 68 Cadlights Versa
Lyscer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2006, 04:17 AM   #5
rkelman
Registered Member

I personally like my Fiji you may prefer something else.. No I wouldn't pay $11 a pound except maybe just to get a couple like you said. I agree with the ASM skimmer I hear good things about them too. Good luck!

rkelman is offline   Reply With Quote