Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/10/2018, 07:17 PM   #1
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Who breeds Bangais?

My pair of Bangai cardinals have spawned several times and I actually have three young which survived and are growing rapidly - all in a 90 gallon reef tank. I thought for sure the marine betta (comet) and the chalk basses would have eaten them all, but those three made it.

I feed that tank newly hatched baby brine three times a day, along with live daphnia, just in case more Bangais are hiding in the rock work. The outflow of one of the sump pumps goes to the bottom and full length of the tank, under the rocks, and it shoots food right to the bottom dwellers. I set it up this way for when I get a mandarin goby or leopard wrasse.

The only thing I did that's out of the ordinary is to feed the fish live mosquito larvae several times a day for the three months prior to the Bangai spawning.

I've been feeding mosquito larvae to saltwater fish for about ten years (or more) and it's their favorite food by far. And it's saved me a lot of money, as I simply net it out of my rain barrels.

I've had fish with extreme Mycobacteria marinum and kept them alive for months by feeding mosquito larvae.

I'd like to put the Bangais in a 40 gallon breeding tank, but I'm not sure how to get them out without damaging my corals - maybe a trap of some sort, like a pop bottle with an inverted top?

Who else here is breeding Bangais, and what kind of set up do you use? When I get them out of the display I'll probably breed them the same way I breed African cichlids. I also have a huge Diadema urchin I can place in the breeder. It's my understanding Bangai young hide in the spines of this urchin.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2018, 08:20 PM   #2
Hodad2
Registered Member

Hi
I breed bangaiis along with with other species of fish and shrimp. Sounds like your doing just fine. Check out my thread on striped blennies in the breeding forum. I have a pdf from University of Hawaii, going into detail from start to finish. There’s some good info in it. Just PM your email address. Can’t seem to post files, only links. So I need to set up a Dropbox. My Facebook page is @paulsPodsAZ. I’ve got a lot of great pics and video of my breeding projects. Check it out. Anyways, heres a video of my last Bangaii clutch.

https://youtu.be/tFH2HEo2px8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hodad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2018, 08:25 PM   #3
Hodad2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
My pair of Bangai cardinals have spawned several times and I actually have three young which survived and are growing rapidly - all in a 90 gallon reef tank. I thought for sure the marine betta (comet) and the chalk basses would have eaten them all, but those three made it.

I feed that tank newly hatched baby brine three times a day, along with live daphnia, just in case more Bangais are hiding in the rock work. The outflow of one of the sump pumps goes to the bottom and full length of the tank, under the rocks, and it shoots food right to the bottom dwellers. I set it up this way for when I get a mandarin goby or leopard wrasse.

The only thing I did that's out of the ordinary is to feed the fish live mosquito larvae several times a day for the three months prior to the Bangai spawning.

I've been feeding mosquito larvae to saltwater fish for about ten years (or more) and it's their favorite food by far. And it's saved me a lot of money, as I simply net it out of my rain barrels.

I've had fish with extreme Mycobacteria marinum and kept them alive for months by feeding mosquito larvae.

I'd like to put the Bangais in a 40 gallon breeding tank, but I'm not sure how to get them out without damaging my corals - maybe a trap of some sort, like a pop bottle with an inverted top?

Who else here is breeding Bangais, and what kind of set up do you use? When I get them out of the display I'll probably breed them the same way I breed African cichlids. I also have a huge Diadema urchin I can place in the breeder. It's my understanding Bangai young hide in the spines of this urchin.

Mosquito larvae is a great addition to your conditioning diet for breeding. They go nuts for those! I have a pool and let it go last year because of Illness. I had an endless supply. Some breeders use them to stimulate spawning.
You’re correct with the urchin. It’s long spine urchins. The fry will instinctively hover between spines. I have two, but when I am raising new fry, I use an artificial urchin that I made from reef putty and zip ties. There no food for the urchin in the rearing tank.

Unread 09/11/2018, 10:16 AM   #4
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Is there anything cuter than newborn Bangai cardinals?

Thanks for the input!

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2018, 10:57 AM   #5
steamman
Registered Member

I have bred clownfish in the past. My Bangaii just spawned. I am concerned about the length of time the male does not eat. How long is it between spawns. Does he have enough time to regain his strength for the next spawn? I have read where people isolate the male between spawns to give him time to recuperate.

https://youtu.be/NV5k3ZOPcD0

Less is

Current Tank Info: 800 gal of salt water flowing in my basement
steamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2018, 11:02 AM   #6
Hodad2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamman View Post
I have bred clownfish in the past. My Bangaii just spawned. I am concerned about the length of time the male does not eat. How long is it between spawns. Does he have enough time to regain his strength for the next spawn?

https://youtu.be/NV5k3ZOPcD0

Awesome! But they look so small! How old are they? CHeck these little guys out. Striped blennies born almost 60 days ago. I have one baby bagaii left from last clutch and more on the way I think. Did they go thru the long mating dance?

Unread 09/14/2018, 11:12 AM   #7
steamman
Registered Member

Wow that is really great! I am not sure how old. I bought the male along with his companion from a local store in my area. The female died in a day. I think she died of sudden death syndrome. I thought that was only the babies that died from that. One minute she was hanging with the male and the next minute she was twitching and floating around the tank. I then ordered two from Live Aquaria. In a day or so one of the two paired up with the male I had and they chase away the third wheel. The tank is big enough I don't think they will kill the third. Eventually I will move the odd fish. Both fish are young. The female seems to be practically a baby. He is big enough to breed. But the female I would never have thought she was of breeding age/size.

Less is

Unread 09/14/2018, 11:18 AM   #8
Hodad2
Registered Member

Yeah, when I saw that, it didn’t look right, lol. I thought it looked the same size as the one baby I have left. He was born In February so I gues he’s not a baby.
So yeah, that’s how the pairing works. When they’re outcast like that, they turn dark In color and then end up dead soon. It’s like the get their feeling hurt or something.
So u didn’t say, but did u notice a mating dance that lasted forever or they just paired up? And now they follow each other around?

Unread 09/14/2018, 11:25 AM   #9
Hodad2
Registered Member

If this is his first clutch he is brooding, he may swallow them by accident. It will take about 21 days. After that, the fry will come popping out little by little or a lot at once. It could take up to a week or so for all fry to leave the mouth.
I would love for you to post your progress on my page @paulsPodsAZ. I have a ton of pics and video of my own breeding project over the last couple years. I’m really only getting started. I built a nice set of tanks with central circulation. About 18 tanks now in all I believe. Sounds like a lot, but the all fit nicely in my study. I even have a place for my Copepod, rotifer amd phyoplankton cultures. I was able to find stuff very cheap, so if you need anything or any advice from the knowledge I’ve collected so far let me know. This goes for anyone reading.

Unread 09/14/2018, 11:31 AM   #10
Hodad2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
Is there anything cuter than newborn Bangai cardinals?

Thanks for the input!

No, but these are pretty damn adorable as well!

Unread 09/14/2018, 11:52 AM   #11
steamman
Registered Member

She was doing the shimmy and nipping for a few days at least. I thought she was just practicing due to her small size and age. Now she is protecting him. I will try to capture the babies (If he doesn't accidentally swallow them and let a buddy raise the babies. He is set up for breeding and offered to keep them.

Less is

Last edited by steamman; 09/14/2018 at 11:57 AM.
Unread 10/08/2018, 03:07 PM   #12
steamman
Registered Member

First attempt was successful. He released nine last night. He is still holding. I have to say leaving him in the display tank is a little difficult. Only three babies went in the fake urchin. One was in the overflow. The rest were all over the tank.

[IMG][/IMG]

Less is