Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/31/2020, 05:26 PM   #1
DiverDave32
Registered Member

Montipora bleaching?

Hi All,

Is this coral bleaching? I increased my intensity on my Maxspect Razor lights about 1 week ago by 5%. This montipora has been in my tank for about 2 months and is showing great growth but is showing a white film on the surface.

I just wanted to confirm whether this was bleaching and I should turn my intensity back down or something else. It still appears to be growing rapidly. Will it adapt. The original monti in the center appears more affected but the new growth much less so.

Thanks for any advice.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Montipora.jpg (64.3 KB, 34 views)
DiverDave32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2020, 05:29 PM   #2
DiverDave32
Registered Member

I should also note that the monti was more a dark brown slightly red colour before and is turning a more attractive purple colour minus the white areas.

Unread 04/01/2020, 05:34 PM   #3
DiverDave32
Registered Member

I started an ATS due to the presence of hair algae in the tank about 2 weeks ago. It is slowly starting to grow algae but there is still quite a bit in the display. My phosphates however are now reading 0.00 using a Hanna checker versus 0.1 a few weeks ago. Could this also be a cause for the whitening. I have phosphorous should I dose it despite having hair algae in the display?

My nitrates are around 12 PPM now versus 16 ppm a few weeks ago so slowly dropping.

Thanks for any feedback.

Dave

Unread 04/04/2020, 08:11 AM   #4
DiverDave32
Registered Member

Anybody have any advice?

Unread 04/04/2020, 11:01 AM   #5
BradR
Registered Member

What’s your alkalinity at? My montipora don’t like low nutrients combined with high alk. Lowering the alk to below 9 or even better to around 8 makes them happy pretty quickly. You’ve changed two variables at the same time so it’s hard to know the cause of your problem. If it were me I’d back down on the lighting, slowly lower the alk to 8.5 or lower, and feed a touch more. Good luck.

BradR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2020, 06:46 PM   #6
DiverDave32
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. My Alk is at 8.1. It seems like the original frag is bleaching but the new growth looks good. I have added a little phosphorous over the last few days and am at 0.03 right now. Will try to maintain around that level. I previously went down to 0 and had a major issue with dinos so definitely do not want to go too low.

I'll also reduce the light intensity slightly and give things a few weeks to see how things go.

Unread 04/23/2020, 09:07 PM   #7
drs2140
Registered Member

It was most likely the lack of nutrients. Keep them detectable and I bet the color will come back fine with some time

drs2140 is offline   Reply With Quote