Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2019, 08:08 PM   #1
ducati1212
Registered Member

refractometer calibration

So I think my salt is off. I have a 3 month old red sea refractometer and 35 ppt calibration solution. I put the solution in tonight after not doing it in a month and my refractometer was reading high 40 ppt.

I adjusted it with the screw down to 35 and retested and it was fine.

I did the same thing 1/2 hour later and it was 40 ppt again. was just double checkig my work so I adjusted and got it to 35 ppt. waited 5 min tried again it was pretty close still.

now im curious so an hour later I get my solution and test again and its 40 ppt again. Now im not sure what my tank is

Can refractometers do this or am I just that rusty after an 8 year break. cant see what im doing wrong.

thoughts?

ducati1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 08:11 PM   #2
FishAndPhysics
Registered Member

Make sure the axles of the coverslip are moving freely, its important that the layer of saltwater is flat, not wedge shaped. This usually shows up in mine as a blurring of the line.

If I'm actually mixing saltwater right rather than just checking the salinity of my tank, I always calibrate first.

Unread 02/20/2019, 08:12 PM   #3
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Seems like somethings wrong with it. I stopped using my refractometer and bought one of these.

https://clearchoiceaquatics.com/coll...tester-hi98319

Love it so far, for the first week or 2 I checked it with my refractometer then stopped double checking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 08:54 PM   #4
ducati1212
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguyy84 View Post
Seems like somethings wrong with it. I stopped using my refractometer and bought one of these.

https://clearchoiceaquatics.com/coll...tester-hi98319

Love it so far, for the first week or 2 I checked it with my refractometer then stopped double checking.

I just bought that an hour ago it comes in Tuesday. Until then I feel my salinity is at risk. I don’t get what I’m doing wrong I mean it’s a water drop

ducati1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2019, 06:07 AM   #5
homer1475
Registered Member

The Red Sea refractometer is known for not being able to hold it's calibration. Never read of it being this bad, but I have read about them drifting in a couple days of non use.

I have and use the milwaukee electric salinity tester. Just bought the hanna as it looks to be easier to use, and Hanna has a very good reputation in the hobby for reliable test kits.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2019, 06:16 AM   #6
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

You're going to love it, dip, read, rinse. Calibration is just as easy and they recommend monthly

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote