Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2015, 03:04 PM   #1926
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natas View Post
if we can nail this down and get multiple people confirming that plankton and pods solve the issue for a good % of people maybe someone can write up a summary and howto and get it posted as a sticky.
I've been toying with making a chart of efficacy from this and the older dino thread. I dunno how to account for multiple methods tho.

I can tell you that pods and phyto alone cured at least 2 people's tanks just in the last 4 pages of this thread. If you start including 'dirty method' in general that goes way up. Also it's the only method with zero adverse effects.

I can link several scientific papers (and the biology post-grad from the other thread who was trying to culture dinos) saying that copepods are the major predator, and that dinos don't compete well at higher nutrient levels.

Pod stuff:
-Try to get benthic pods. Might be difficult as tisbe and tigriops are both pelagic iirc. Nothing wrong with either type, fish just love pelagic

-add a chunk of live rock/sand from your LFS, local reefer to your sump, will seed pods. Doesn't have to be big. Someone must have a cheap mushroom frag for sale. Bonus if the piece includes some kind of algae

-Americans have zillions of options. Order a kit or live sand or a small piece of live rock from TBS, IPSF, ReefCleaners. Non usains are kinda hosed. Check local reef club, online classifieds

-Adding a bunch of macro algae will seed with many different types. Someone local with have chaeto for super cheap, it has to be harvested regularly

-just feeding phyto should cause a population explosion. It doesn't have to be live phyto. I'm using phytofeast which is dead and super concentrated

-if you can't get any of the above, overfeed. Many pods are detrivores. Overfeed anyway, it helps

hth
ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2015, 03:25 PM   #1927
karimwassef
Registered Member

Isn't Canada just the northernmost state?

What's that aboot, ey?

Sorry - I couldn't resist.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2015, 04:59 PM   #1928
cal_stir
Registered Member

Might be the next state to legalize marijuana.

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2015, 06:31 PM   #1929
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

90% dinos gone. Had them since May. One more dose of dinox tonight and siphon the remains tom! So exited. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443054687.737515.jpg

Cyberdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2015, 07:00 PM   #1930
LuciDog
Registered Member

Im going to jump on the pod/plankton bandwagon. Going tomorrow (pending time) to pick up pods. It's an hour drive so fingers crossed I make it before closing.

LuciDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2015, 08:33 PM   #1931
Ser Davos
Registered Member

I'm on day 6 of peroxide and things are looking a lot better. My trochus snails seem more active and are eating the remaining visible algae on my rocks. My glass and sand have never been so clean. The amount of Dino's visible after 4 hours of lights is less each day.

I've stopped water changes, did a 2.5 day blackout to start with, stopped skimming and have been feeding more and using frozen food.

I have pods and microalgae coming in next Tuesday as well. I may get some chaeto for my sump too to help keep suck up nutrients.

Ser Davos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2015, 07:11 AM   #1932
Billybatz9
Registered Member

I heard someone beat dinos by switching salt to red sea coral pro salt. Does anybody use red sea coral pro salt?

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2015, 07:15 AM   #1933
natas
Registered Member

I personally stopped using red sea coral pro salt because I believe it was making my dinos worse. It's a great salt but they do add a lot to it to get levels raised to extremes. When I switched to Fritz salt the dino blooms were not as bad after a water change (take note they were still there)

natas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2015, 10:08 AM   #1934
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

amphipods are benthic aren't they? i don't particularly know what copepods are benthic other than the tigger pods but every single time i've tried to add them to my water they always all end up in my filter sock because they are free swimming...i cannot keep tigger pods alive in my tank past a few hours

PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2015, 10:26 AM   #1935
LuciDog
Registered Member

A gallon of plankton on order for pick up tomorrow. Going to start a culture and dose like crazy.

Unread 09/24/2015, 12:05 PM   #1936
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
amphipods are benthic aren't they? i don't particularly know what copepods are benthic other than the tigger pods but every single time i've tried to add them to my water they always all end up in my filter sock because they are free swimming...i cannot keep tigger pods alive in my tank past a few hours
Yes, amphipods tend to be benthic. And huge. That just means they hang out on the sand, rocks in your tank. Tiggers (Tigriops spp) are free swimming pods, so they are classified as pelagic, ie in the water column. Fish loooooove pelagic pods so they don't survive long in a display tank. If you see pods on the glass, they could be either type. Just to confuse you.

@Karimwassef Don't make me come over there and say eh at you! PS. Tried putting some cheesecloth in my tank with an led light on it overnight. Pulled out epic numbers of pods and a thick coating of dinos. Yech!

@Billybatz I was using IO when I got dinos. When I couldn't keep alk up I switched to IO/Reef. Then switched to D&D H20 when my LFS got some in 2kg bags. Didn't seem to make a difference. Bro in law gave me his salt stash so I've now got several types. Red Sea is real seawater with the water evaporated out, it may have a lot of random stuff in it.

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Unread 09/24/2015, 12:14 PM   #1937
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Isn't Canada just the northernmost state?

What's that aboot, ey?

Sorry - I couldn't resist.
I thought it was some remote US territory like Puerto Rico....

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2015, 12:17 PM   #1938
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Update! Not that anybody reads these loooooong messages, but it keeps me organized.

Mass confusion reigns. I got the microscope. The yellow sludge on my glass which was id'd by pros as dinos doesn't seem to contain *any* life. That implies it's bacterial, too small to see with my little scope. Dinos do like to live in a bacterial sludge, but I should see some cells. I suspect user error.

Looking at filter pads, zomg! Ostreopsis ovata very clearly. BUT also some much smaller very suspicious brown, round cells. (And a virtual carnival of microcritters, including some kind of amoeba which was happily eating everything else. Very cool). Could I have several types of dinos? Is this why I'm having so much trouble getting rid of the stupid things?

Don't know if I mentioned it here, but I dosed nitrate in my tank to 3ppm with potassium nitrate. 3 days later- green algae on the glass! Very exciting as this is literally the first time I've had green algae of any sort in the tank. The algae has persisted without further additions of KNO3.

Ivy

Unread 09/24/2015, 12:29 PM   #1939
LuciDog
Registered Member

That is fantastic and gross all at once! (Yes I read the posts. I read all the posts pertaining to this horror).

My update. 92 hours in the dark and they are still snotty and stringy and all sorts of eww, but I only count a handful of bubbles (so far, knock on wood)

Lfs is a joke. Calling multiple ones trying to get a scope ID. One told me to bring in a sample and they can tell from just looking. They are "trained". Uh huh. Sure you are.

Unread 09/24/2015, 02:11 PM   #1940
Ser Davos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
Pod stuff:
-Try to get benthic pods. Might be difficult as tisbe and tigriops are both pelagic iirc. Nothing wrong with either type, fish just love pelagic

ivy

Hmm from what I'm reading Tisbe are benthic. Have some on order.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/276657-the-pod-farm/
http://www.orafarm.com/product/pods-tisbe/

Ser Davos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2015, 02:21 PM   #1941
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
Tried putting some cheesecloth in my tank with an led light on it overnight. Pulled out epic numbers of pods and a thick coating of dinos. Yech!
So do you see this as a viable export method??

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 09/24/2015, 02:34 PM   #1942
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

yup, after reading some articles online it appears that tisbe are in fact benthic while tigriopus are palegic...tigger pods are the ones you see at most stores from reef nutrition...they are a colder water species and will not last long in our tanks not to mention they are free swimming and will just get caught in your filter sock or skimmer...buy some tisbe, dump it in your refugium or your display when the lights are out, pumps off...i usually buy tisbe from a local guy and keep bottles in my fridge to recharge the refugium every now and then because i have a mandarin

word of caution to those of you that are in the US - although the prices are attractive do NOT buy from reefs2go...they have very poor practices in shipping livestock with barely any water and most if not your entire order will arrive doa...their customer service is horrid as well...don't just take my word for it, look them up at the better business bureau before you decide to order from them, you'll be glad you did...i know it seems their buy one get one free copepod/amphipod mixture is a great deal but i did buy some and all they send you is a bag with a moist filter pad and a handful of amphipods...no copepods found

PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2015, 04:16 PM   #1943
karimwassef
Registered Member

I agree that their service and shipping is awful!
Amphipods can handle being out of water for a while though. They're pretty tough. I usually get their bogo 500 with free shipping and then add another bogo 1000. That way, there's no shipping and I get about 3000.

I would not buy anything you wouldn't be willing to lose. I don't but fish or coral, or even most crabs and shrimp. But the pods seem ok.

Unread 09/25/2015, 05:03 AM   #1944
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

After 4 months almost gone in 3.5 days ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443179039.635098.jpg

Unread 09/25/2015, 07:56 AM   #1945
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdude View Post
After 4 months almost gone in 3.5 days Attachment 329496
"Almost" sounds like they will be back once done dosing.

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2015, 08:45 AM   #1946
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

I don't know. Zero new growth. I've also added siphoning every day. Keeping the same tank water. First time I see it staying back.

But I am finally seeing green algae growing. So I'm 90% sure I've won the battle.

Unread 09/25/2015, 08:46 AM   #1947
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Also. All of my zoas and flower pots have opened after months being closed. Hummmmm I like it

Unread 09/25/2015, 12:07 PM   #1948
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
I don't have any test kits worth testing for. But I have 0 algae apart from dinos. Reduced feedings so phosphates should be low.

I have anemones, montis, frogspawn, hammer, torch, and zoas.
Two clown fish, bicolor blenny, six line wrasse, blood shrimp, ND pistol shrimp.
This is a 40gallon tank? You're in the US?

Sounds like you were trying the clean method. Have you tried the dirty? You actually want your phosphates to be measurable, not crazy, but like .03. Nitrate too, 2-3ppm. I would actually increase feeding. I raised nitrate in my tank artificially, and got green algae within 3 days. Shut off your skimmer, pull antiphosphate media. Give it a week and see how you go.

Cheapest way to get pods is to hit your local classifieds and see who has Chaeto algae.. it has to be harvested so people sell/give it away. It comes with a massive load of various pods. Before I knew I had dinos I gave baseball chunks of it away every month. (Interestingly, none of the recipients got dinos)

hth
ivy

Unread 09/25/2015, 12:12 PM   #1949
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
So do you see this as a viable export method??
After 3 days of trying it, no. It *does* remove an unholy amount of dinos. Many times more than just running the cloth at night, without the light. The cheesecloth is visibly gross and slimy.

What I don't like is that it also removes almost all the pods out of the water column. They're attracted to the light as well. I've been experimenting with shutting the light off before removing the cloth, which does reduce pod capture, but I'm still pulling way more of the little guys out than I want.

ivy

Unread 09/25/2015, 12:16 PM   #1950
karimwassef
Registered Member

Hmmm... How about a pod grow out 10gal with a live rock, some chaeto and no additional feeding.

They can develop their dino eating habits more in a closed environment. Make them super bugs.