Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/06/2018, 06:45 PM   #1
srosatto
Registered Member

I am a newbie and need some advice from some experienced guys like you!

Hey guys, please excuse my ignorance but I joined because you guys seems to have an unlimited amount of knowledge, way more than me.
While I research EVERYTHING, before I do anything, but what i found is that everyone has their own opinion and experience.
With that being said, I am a bit nervous, my tank has been established for several years, however it was moved this week, but 90% of original water, all of the rock, algae, sump, etc, was all intact and was put back into use only a few hours after taken down. The only thing I had to do was add about 8 gallons water to the tank and get the salinity good. All my levels are good, so far, so I bit the bullet and got a small anemone today.
I searched this forum for the behavior but couldn't find much on them. I added this little guy about 4 hours ago and at first he was moving around, tumbling and such. Night came and my light went to "moon" mode, (or whatever you call it) and now that the light has dimmed down, I guess what would be his mouth was hanging out like he were feeding. He/It seems to be content, I just noticed that he has changed positions, and now I guess "his mouth is not sticking out anymore". Anyway I have attached a pic. The first one was with his mouth open. (Is this normal at night for this to happen)? Secondly I wanted to see what your input is on his color and if after about 4 hours if you can give me your honest opinion on how he's doing. BTW my clown fish have not touch it yet, but they have come to check him out a few times and got close, but no rubbing. Oh by the way it's a 75 gallon tank, sump, protein skimmer, good algae growth in the sump, running a carbon, reactor. thank you so much guys, I'll def take any for advice offered. I love this forum by the way.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 1.jpg (72.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg pic 2.jpg (89.3 KB, 36 views)
srosatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2018, 09:46 AM   #2
Melfy77
Registered Member

I have an anemone that looks very similar to yours, and is probably H. malu. Sand dweller, had mine for over a week and keeps walking around. Very annoying lol. Put it in sand, with rocks on three sides, and asked the clownfish to make it stay there lol. Hopefully it'll work this time!!

Melfy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2018, 05:12 PM   #3
Melfy77
Registered Member

I'm not sure about the mouth, but stress is normal when moving an anemone and I'd say as long as it doesn't happen too often it's ok. Mine moves a lot. But fingers crossed, it hasn't moved since this morning, fully open, the foot is not visible. Here's a pic. Notice the goby and pistol shrimp digging, they were a little upset when the anemone was, st some point, right in front of the burrow's (or should I say fortress lol) entrance. Also, what kinda of clownfish do you have? I was told by experienced people that percula clownfish really like the malu anemone, but I got Clarkii, because I already have 2 false percs in my other tank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1531003550694.jpg (63.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1531003514041.jpg (70.9 KB, 8 views)
Melfy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2018, 06:24 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Still very new and acclimating, but looks fine so far, if it's set foot that is a good sign, though it may still move some.
Best is to pretty much leave it alone, I would not even spot feed for a week or two, it has decent color, so no need.

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote