Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2018, 12:19 PM   #1
jorda9095
Registered Member

Clowns effectively killing BTA

I just bought a nice rainbow BTA and acclimated it fine. Kept it in a breeder net for the first few days and then introduced it to my clowns. It was doing really well when separated from the clowns and was eating. Ever since it was introduced to the clowns, they started nipping at it and I think they eventually moved it to their den.

The anemone looks mangled to all hell now after being with them for a few days and lost a few tentacles. It hasn't opened or extended its tentacles since they started nipping at it either. The mouth appears to be shut still and I don't see anything coming out yet. It is basically just the foot of the anemone left that is exposed.

I'm not sure what to do. Am I going to lose the BTA? I'm reluctant to get another one since my clowns were so rough with this one.

jorda9095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2018, 05:24 PM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

Pics help
How big is it?
A strawberry basket will block them till it settles

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2018, 06:25 PM   #3
jorda9095
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Pics help
How big is it?
A strawberry basket will block them till it settles
The anemone was about 4" when fully open. The foot is about 1" now. Here are some pics. Now that I've separated it from the clowns again it looks pretty bad. I can't really see it surviving at this point.

I did have it separated for a for a few days while it settled but the idea was to have the clowns host it.

Thanks for your help

jorda9095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2018, 08:15 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Yeah looks bad, but I've seen worse survive.

An anemone should be at least 3-4x the size of clowns to handle their attention

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote