Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/01/2005, 08:13 PM   #51
ReeferJones
Registered Member

I was able to get my bully, clarkii finally after 3 days using a trap made from a water bottle and fishing line. laid the bottle horizontal in the tank with food in it for a couple days. just about all my fish wandered in there at one time or another, and when the clown came in, I just yanked the string.

ReeferJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2005, 10:36 PM   #52
Green Thumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReeferJones
I was able to get my bully, clarkii finally after 3 days using a trap made from a water bottle and fishing line. laid the bottle horizontal in the tank with food in it for a couple days. just about all my fish wandered in there at one time or another, and when the clown came in, I just yanked the string.
Thats a good one.

Green Thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2005, 02:13 PM   #53
goalieman92
Registered Member

use a home made fish trap.(for larger clowns use a gatorade bottle.

all of you reef tank owners know that if you have to remove a fish for whatever reason, you can't use a net because it will get snagged on live rock or a piece of coral. your solution is a fish trap. im going to tell you how to make one.

1. Drink a bottle of spring water.
2. Using a razor blade or ultility knife cut bottle top off at the first ring.
3. Remove lables.
4. Turn top so that the mouth is pointed in.
5. Insert top.
6. Place bait inside.(I use freeze dried brine)
7. Fill with water.( make sure there is no air in it, if so just squeze sides)
8. Wait.

there isn't really a need to wait. once a fish,crab,shrimp is in, it won't be able to find its way out. But if a luckey one finds its way out of the hole it will come back for the food.I tested this on my cleaner shrimp. within seconds he was in it, he ate a little bit of brine and went back out, but Scampi(my shrimp) is very smart.

goalieman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2005, 02:52 PM   #54
brad23
Registered Member

my false perc isn't scared of the net he comes out to attack it and my hand.

Current Tank Info: 75g reef
brad23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2005, 07:50 PM   #55
nuddybuddy
Registered Member

good info

nuddybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2006, 03:49 PM   #56
darcitananda
Premium Member

My problem with catching clowns is that when I'm trying to catch another fish, the clowns swim right into the net or bowl!

Food is usually a good way to lure fish out.

Current Tank Info: 20g nano, 150w HQI, mostly softies
darcitananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2006, 03:21 PM   #57
Poorcollegereef
Future Doc

Quote:
Originally posted by darcitananda
My problem with catching clowns is that when I'm trying to catch another fish, the clowns swim right into the net or bowl!

Food is usually a good way to lure fish out.

Yeah, I move alot so I can take apart my 20 gal in less than an hour. Most of it goes into giant coleman coolers including my clowns. I trick them with food and since I hand feed them it is easy. I open up a ziploc bag underwater with one had and the feed the clowns with the other. I can sneak up below them quiet easily. And if they are being really difficult, i remove the live rock and drain most of the water out. then it's really easy.

Poorcollegereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2006, 05:29 AM   #58
Ken-21
Registered Member

I've had my clowns for about 5 years. I've had to take them out of the tank a few times and they don't really mind it. I put my hand in the tank and they swim right into it. (I think I need to spend less time with my fish!)

Ken-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2006, 12:11 AM   #59
NCreefwannabe
Registered Member

haha. yeah my clowns hate the net. they run and hide if they even see it outside the tank lol. BUT, they are hardcore sleepers. I usually just reach in and grab them if needed.

NCreefwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2006, 01:04 PM   #60
YeahitsK
Registered Member

Ok newbie question then. If nets are bad for the fish, how do you add fish to your tank and not introduce LFS water after the acclimating process?

YeahitsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2006, 01:16 PM   #61
jowgafist
Registered Member

Roll up sleeve...Take 2 to 3 deep breaths...and "GRAB!" the fish out of the water with hand. That's how I do it and that's how Chuck Norris does it lol

CHUCK NORRIS FACTS

jowgafist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2006, 05:51 PM   #62
expertreefer
Registered Member

whenever i need to move my clowns i just pick up the little rock that their host anemone is on and they just follow. love working with these silly little clowns.

Current Tank Info: 20gal. ha ha ha
expertreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2006, 06:34 PM   #63
Ryanqk
Registered Member

free pajama cardinal to anyone who can catch him!

Current Tank Info: 75gl display, 20gl long fuge, CPR overflow, Octopuss NW150 skimmer, 4 x 110w VHO T12's and supplemental actinic, ongoing projects...
Ryanqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2006, 10:35 PM   #64
Morphieus5150
Registered Member

Took me 3 days to catch my Maroon Clown..I finally had to put the lta she was trying to Kill into the fish trap...After an hour or so she just couldn't take it anymore and went in..
Ps.. She was ****ed when i dropped the door on the trap,. Lol.

Morphieus5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2006, 12:38 PM   #65
reefarmer
Registered Member

my sons'clown was lost for days and we thought maybe the new carpet anenome got him since he didnt quite acclimate himself yet, today my younger son noticed him in the back chamber of the tank hooray!!!!put his hand in and the fish just let himself be picked up , it was obvious he missed his LTA! happy ending!

reefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2006, 07:21 PM   #66
Flamehawk365
Registered Member

I have never been able to catch a fish in the net. As its been said... it tends to get snagged on the rock and/or my fish just are too smart.

I have been very successful at catching my fish in the wee hours of the morning. When the lights have been off and the fish are resting.

But even then... I can only catch them with a clear container of some kind and LOTS of patience.

I did have two clarkii fish. They used to always swim and stay together. I noticed the one fish getting bigger while the other grew very slowly. The bigger Clarkie turned on the little Clarkii... beat it up badly.. bite marks all over. The little Clarkii couldn't fight back. I had to take it out of the tank. Made my 10 gallon hospital tank into the little Clarkii's reef tank.

It was the only time the fish jumped into my hands... to help him out of the tank.

Flamehawk365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2006, 10:39 PM   #67
Kathy55g
Moved On

I am breeding clownfish, and when they are big enough to leave home, I just use a plastic shoebox to scoop them out of their tank. I then float the box in the tank, and then hand catch individuals as J H says, decide if they are going or staying, and place them back in water, either the grow out tank, or the transport bucket.

For the QT (and other fish) I used a clear glass jar arranged with some disposable rocks into a cave. This was available for the whole Q period. The fish liked to hide in the jar, so when it was time to move them, I got them into hiding and slipped a plastic lid over the opening of the jar and lifted them right out. Coral beauty and firefish in one neat package.

Kathy55g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2006, 10:32 PM   #68
Lishoop6
Registered Member

another way is to get a tube a bit bigger than length of fish wanted for questioning and simplely get in a corner siphon out

Unread 11/25/2006, 02:21 AM   #69
clownfish-god
Moved On

isn't their traps that can be purchased?

clownfish-god is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2007, 05:58 PM   #70
cubman20
Registered Member

Mine are so active i just put a cup with food in it and they swim right in.

cubman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2007, 11:12 PM   #71
Qxsilver01
Registered Member

Another great reason on why to not use the net on fish in general, (since we're on the clownfish subject, Maroon Clowns) is the fishes operculum tends to get caught in the net, and tangle it a bit.

Qxsilver01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2007, 04:27 PM   #72
shiftyfatdwarf
Registered Member

never had much trouble catching them. i agree with chipmunk they just dive right in

shiftyfatdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2007, 03:55 PM   #73
tpdpercula
Registered Member

All my clowns are well trained and all I have to do is blow the dog whistle and they do tricks (i.e. play fetch, jump through hoops, etc). I have also had great success with turning off the pumps/powerheads, and placing the net in the water and feeding. They begin to feed and are netted without harm. : )

Current Tank Info: 210g Mixed Reef tank, (2) 60g frag tanks (containing a Sohal in one & Naso in the other along with breeding pairs of True Percs, 40g frag tank w/Pair of Picassos, 24 Nano w/ breeding pair of True Percs and 24 Nano Mixed Reef w/pair of Ocellaris
tpdpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2007, 04:41 PM   #74
the nemo guy
Moved On

thanks for the help, came in handy didnt kno how to catch my maroon clown

the nemo guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2007, 01:53 PM   #75
KURTIS T
Registered Member

two tomato's started causing problems in my tank. I caught one with the sleeping attack.....had to pull the tank appart to get the other clown and it's 2 blue damsel buddies

KURTIS T is offline   Reply With Quote