Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/22/2016, 05:57 PM   #376
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkn73 View Post
Amazing tank......With no water changes!!!!!!

Glenn also has a mature and very beautiful reef but he is testing , many elements except the basic ones...... Did you ever made a Triton test? What about iodine, zinc, Mn, cu ,Fe and other minor and trace elements, that aren't existing in carx material? Don't you dose any of them?
Ty, your tank really is amazing. Gets better and better.
It's interesting that you feed so much dry pelleted food. Most dry foods on the market contain one of or all of the following Zn, Mn, Fe, Cu, as preservatives.
I've never used dry foods but I am considering adding pellets to my feeding regime for this reason..
Ty, which biopellets do you use and how much? In what type of reactor and how often are you replacing or replenishing them? Sorry if I asked this exact question in the past..
Your methods certainly are producing amazing results.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 09:49 PM   #377
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Thanks bud!

I feed a ton of pellets... Small-medium pellets 3x/day and large pellets 2x/day. I even added the new PE Mysis pellets to the mix.

As far as biopellets, I run Ecobak plus, about 1-1.5 cups, keeps my nitrates around 5ppm usually.

FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2016, 12:41 AM   #378
gregkn73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTy View Post
Yes, I've read about the Dutch Synthetic Method that Glenn created. It is a wonderful tank and a wonderful system he runs.

I don't feel the need to test all of those additional elements and keep them in line mainly because I haven't needed to. At this point, unless I notice issues in the tank, I won't plan on doing anything about any deficiencies in the water. I only know of deficiencies via my annual Triton test but I don't take the results as true values, more ball park from the Triton test. But a zero value is easy to interpret.
What media do you use in your carx and you have such high K? Any idea of the source of Li?

gregkn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2016, 12:53 AM   #379
gregkn73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Ty, your tank really is amazing. Gets better and better.
It's interesting that you feed so much dry pelleted food. Most dry foods on the market contain one of or all of the following Zn, Mn, Fe, Cu, as preservatives.
I've never used dry foods but I am considering adding pellets to my feeding regime for this reason..
Ty, which biopellets do you use and how much? In what type of reactor and how often are you replacing or replenishing them? Sorry if I asked this exact question in the past..
Your methods certainly are producing amazing results.
Matt if I combine the amazing results of Ty , with just carx and no water changes, bigE , with basic two part and 10% only weekly water change, which is small enough proportion to maintain stable value for element that is readily consumed, GlennF with no water changes and no trace adding and monitoring and Farm ,which add trace in huge amounts to see results in colours, commenting that the usually small trace additions we make, are not doing anything, since they are became rapidly inactive in usual nutrient concentrations, in our reef tanks.........what conclusion I make is, that adding Zn, mn, fe, cu, I, etc is just snake oil!?

gregkn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2016, 01:43 AM   #380
carlosmos
Registered Member

I just re-read all and let me ask you if you don't have algae issues? Or cyano? Long time ago I saw some red algae spots , not sure if was cyano, but at zero values you don't have problems. ( I have it that the reason of my question).

Do you add bacteria?

Thanks, great tank

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

carlosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2016, 08:42 AM   #381
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Matt if I combine the amazing results of Ty , with just carx and no water changes, bigE , with basic two part and 10% only weekly water change, which is small enough proportion to maintain stable value for element that is readily consumed, GlennF with no water changes and no trace adding and monitoring and Farm ,which add trace in huge amounts to see results in colours, commenting that the usually small trace additions we make, are not doing anything, since they are became rapidly inactive in usual nutrient concentrations, in our reef tanks.........what conclusion I make is, that adding Zn, mn, fe, cu, I, etc is just snake oil!?
I wish I knew the answer for that. I'm not going to pretend I know everything going on with my trace elements other than the annual Triton test, which I again don't take as exact values. I believe I remember reading that the detection limits for elements with the Triton analysis caused some skepticism with 0 value results... As they may not be truly zero.

Either case, my philosphy has been if everything still looks happy and colored, keep doing what I'm doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosmos View Post
I just re-read all and let me ask you if you don't have algae issues? Or cyano? Long time ago I saw some red algae spots , not sure if was cyano, but at zero values you don't have problems. ( I have it that the reason of my question).

Do you add bacteria?

Thanks, great tank

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Hi Carlos. I typically wipe my front glass about every 4-6 days. I had the usual algae issues when I first started the tank, in roughly the same order as most tanks, diatoms, cyano, instead of hair algae I got turf algae, and then once my tank matured, it was fine. With all the tangs and angels I usually keep, I actually try to grow a bit of algae if possible so they have something natural to graze on.

Lately though, I was dealing with an issue of bubble algae. I had rescued an acro for a buddy and since it was so abrupt, didn't realize it had some bubble algae on the plug. 1 year later, my tank had a decent bubble algae issue. With manual removal and a naso that sometimes eats it, I've pretty much got it under control.

For the bubble algae in areas I cannot get to, I tried out Vibrant.

I typically had a nice super thin layer of red turf algae that my tangs, angels, snails, and urchins would graze on daily off the rocks. I enjoyed it much more than coralline algae as it didn't uptake all my alk, Ca, and Mg and gave all my herbivores something natural to graze on. Well Vibrant wiped it out, some green turf algae as well, and looks like its working on my bubble algae as I see less and less bubbles every week! I wish my red turf would grow back though but that doesn't look like its going to happen. Thankfully, I only have to wipe my glass every two weeks now, which feels strange. I will probably dose until my last two bottles are gone and then stop. I really just got it to help with the bubble algae befoee it becomes an infestation, I really hope to not need to continue using it.

So long story to get to an actual answer, no, I don't normally dose bacteria ever but been using Vibrant the last 2 months which does have bacterial colonies in it.

Unread 12/23/2016, 08:43 AM   #382
FarmerTy
Registered Member

I will say that I believe if all my tangs and angels disappeared, as well as my urchins, that my rocks would have some good algae growing on them.

Unread 12/23/2016, 11:26 AM   #383
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
What media do you use in your carx and you have such high K? Any idea of the source of Li?
Hi Greg,

I use a potassium dip for my acros. Basically a take on Laser's AEFW whole tank dip he tried but it didn't work out. When used in a dip scenario, it does as promises, and kills everything, minus the acro and oddly vermatid snails... But even Bayer doesn't kill them.

If I overmix the dip, I would pour the rest back in my tank assuming my K was low to start with since I don't do water changes. Triton and my own tests told me otherwise so I stopped doing that but still have the resultant higher potassium level.

For Lithium, I had used some Tech M when I first moved everything over from my old tank to this one. I had just a spot of bryopsis still in the overflows so I didnt want anything to come to the new tank. I've heard that it does have a higher lithium content so that may explain that concentration. Supposedly, certain salt mixes do add some as well. The beauty of the no water changes is to be able to see these long-term effects with buildup of certain elements.

Unread 12/23/2016, 01:20 PM   #384
seachange
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTy View Post
I wish I knew the answer for that. I'm not going to pretend I know everything going on with my trace elements other than the annual Triton test, which I again don't take as exact values. I believe I remember reading that the detection limits for elements with the Triton analysis caused some skepticism with 0 value results... As they may not be truly zero.

Either case, my philosphy has been if everything still looks happy and colored, keep doing what I'm doing.

Hi Carlos. I typically wipe my front glass about every 4-6 days. I had the usual algae issues when I first started the tank, in roughly the same order as most tanks, diatoms, cyano, instead of hair algae I got turf algae, and then once my tank matured, it was fine. With all the tangs and angels I usually keep, I actually try to grow a bit of algae if possible so they have something natural to graze on.

Lately though, I was dealing with an issue of bubble algae. I had rescued an acro for a buddy and since it was so abrupt, didn't realize it had some bubble algae on the plug. 1 year later, my tank had a decent bubble algae issue. With manual removal and a naso that sometimes eats it, I've pretty much got it under control.

For the bubble algae in areas I cannot get to, I tried out Vibrant.

I typically had a nice super thin layer of red turf algae that my tangs, angels, snails, and urchins would graze on daily off the rocks. I enjoyed it much more than coralline algae as it didn't uptake all my alk, Ca, and Mg and gave all my herbivores something natural to graze on. Well Vibrant wiped it out, some green turf algae as well, and looks like its working on my bubble algae as I see less and less bubbles every week! I wish my red turf would grow back though but that doesn't look like its going to happen. Thankfully, I only have to wipe my glass every two weeks now, which feels strange. I will probably dose until my last two bottles are gone and then stop. I really just got it to help with the bubble algae befoee it becomes an infestation, I really hope to not need to continue using it.

So long story to get to an actual answer, no, I don't normally dose bacteria ever but been using Vibrant the last 2 months which does have bacterial colonies in it.

Did vibrant cause any negative effects? I am thinking of using it for my bubble algae but I am really thinking this through if I want to dose something that can effect an already established ecosystem. How much and how often do you dose may I ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

seachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2016, 01:53 PM   #385
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seachange View Post
Did vibrant cause any negative effects? I am thinking of using it for my bubble algae but I am really thinking this through if I want to dose something that can effect an already established ecosystem. How much and how often do you dose may I ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi Seachange,

I've been dosing it for 2.5 months at the recommended amount of 1 ml/10 gals 2-3x a week with no issues.

I'd say my tank has been decently established and stable so I guess this tank is a good test subject.

It killed off green turf, red turf, red spongy algae, and looks like its attacking the bubble algae as I hardly see any of it anymore.

That being said, I went more aggressive towards the end and double dosed (2 ml/10 gals) 2-3x a week this last week and I've noticed that 3 of my acros are a tad lighter in color so I've backed off of it. I'm thinking of discontinuing here shortly as it has mostly achieved what I wanted it to do.

Unread 12/24/2016, 08:08 AM   #386
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Holiday edition with greens and reds! Happy holidays everyone! Stop staring at your tanks and spend time with your friends and family!

RCA Baton Rouge

JG Yellow

Strawberry Shortcake (microclados)

Unread 12/24/2016, 06:55 PM   #387
reefmutt
Registered Member

Did you notice any change in nutrient levels while using the vibrant?
Happy holidays to you, too Ty.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2016, 06:58 PM   #388
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Did you notice any change in nutrient levels while using the vibrant?
Happy holidays to you, too Ty.
My phosphate level did go up but that may also be because of my increased feedings due to the purple queen anthias I've added.

Nitrate level stayed mostly the same.

Unread 12/26/2016, 11:42 PM   #389
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quick updates after the holiday break.

1) Accidentally pointed my power head directly at my Oregon tort colony and blasted away a good section of flesh.

2) Came home to half my Mr. Pac man colony RTN'ing. My guess is it was probably caused by myself not acclimating it a bit more before moving it from really low par to medium par.

On the brighter side, rescued my Ruby Red Dragonet from the overflow.

Everything growing great in the tank. Even the fragged areas are healing super quick... Here is a week of heal time.

New Abrotanoides looking better and better each week.

Pushed out a little frag pack as well.

Unread 12/29/2016, 09:02 AM   #390
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Been hiding a couple of gems.

AquaSD Rainbow Mille and ORA Laura's Purple Polyp

Unread 12/29/2016, 10:53 AM   #391
Jndragon79
Registered Member

dayam Ty, that rainbow is nice. Can you elaborate on the K dip you use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jndragon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2016, 02:04 PM   #392
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jndragon79 View Post
dayam Ty, that rainbow is nice. Can you elaborate on the K dip you use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Thanks! I've been recently obsessed with that piece.

Here is a link to the 3 dips I use.

http://www.*********.com/threads/tri...-combo.224494/

The K dip is just borrowed from another reefer who tried to use something similar to treat his whole tank. While as a whole tank treatment wasn't successful, I employ it as a dip with good success.

Simple premise is raise K levels from the usual 400 ppm to 1600 ppm for about an hour using potassium chloride (crushed water softener pellets). Then return to previous levels.

Unread 12/29/2016, 06:01 PM   #393
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Two not happy campers here...

Unread 12/30/2016, 08:14 AM   #394
FarmerTy
Registered Member

4k Fish video:

[Unknown Media].

Unread 12/30/2016, 08:37 AM   #395
acesq
Registered Member

Nice video! Tank looks great.

Unread 12/30/2016, 08:47 AM   #396
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
Nice video! Tank looks great.
Thanks Acesq! I am in the process of re-editing some of my old videos since my video editor software can export 4k now. I'll post those again hopefully later today for those with fancy 4k decices.

Unread 01/05/2017, 11:28 PM   #397
FarmerTy
Registered Member

The acros must be part wolverine... Been healing fast! Two weeks!

Unread 01/09/2017, 05:12 PM   #398
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Update on my abrotanoides acro I picked up.

November

January - 2 months later

Unread 01/10/2017, 09:21 AM   #399
FarmerTy
Registered Member

My fish get no love sometimes on the forums so here we go:

Blonde naso tang

Emperor angel

Purple queen

Clownfish

Majestic angel