Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Chicago
Registered Member

RANDY PLEASE kalkwasser stirrer or two part mix

sorry for the caps but looking for some insight from randy..

i have a large sps tank which has a very high demand .. 800 gallons with lots of sps and lots of coraline algea.

so tank evaportes like 5 to 8 gallons per day.. was gooing to run top off throgh the kalk so i would be adding quite a bit per day

which would be a better method.. kalk or the two part system or a combo of both.. by the way i have a large calcium reator and it can not come close to keeping up with the demands of the tank

thanks

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Chicago
Registered Member

bump

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Unread 01/16/2007, 07:23 AM   #3
jag1979
Registered Member

I'm not Randy but, 1% of system volume of saturated kalk only adds around 8 ppm of calcium

Current Tank Info: 180 AGA, tunze 6100, 6025 and 6060, 3 x 250 mh's, 3 x 80 t5's, ASM G4+
jag1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2007, 02:34 PM   #4
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

In a heavy SPS tank, limewater alone is not likely to be adequate, so a two part, a CaCO3/CO2 reactor, or both may be useful, along with or instead of limewater.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Chicago
Registered Member

... yep thats what i thought i would hear.... sounds like i should continue to do all three... i was using a kalk reactor and calcium reactor but that was not doing the job alone .. so i started to use the kent two part mix also to keep thealk up ect..

the kalk reactor i was using was the pump kind and the tubing was cloging way to much.. the line from the reactor to the float valve in the sump...

my thoughts are to do the two part mix on five gallon jugs using a reef doser set on a timer.

how do you suggest dosing the two part... same time in the sump high flow area...?? second question on using two part system... does the two part solution .. the receipe you give .. does it eve need to be shaken after it is mixed... in other words after a couple of days of sitting does it ever fall out of solution and settle at the bottom...

Unread 01/16/2007, 10:02 PM   #6
mattboy
Registered Member

A couple of things catch my attention; first, 5-8 gallons of evaporation a day on an 800 gallon system seems like very low evaporation. My old 100 gallon tank evaporated 3-4 gallons/day, and my current 50 gallon corner tank evaporates more than a gallon. I suppose the low evaporation rate on it's own is not a problem, but 5 gallons of KW/day on such a large system is not going to do much for calcium and alkalinity. I would guess it's still a good thing to do, especially if you're running a reactor.

The other thing is that unless you have a small calcium reactor, I can't imagine why you couldn't adjust it to match your calcium demand. Can you describe your reactor, especially how much media does it hold and what is the approximate size of the tube?

mattboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2007, 07:05 AM   #7
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

The two part can be dosed all at once usually, especially the calcium part, but having it on a doser with a timer is a fine way to automate it. The two part does not need to be shaken up.

Unread 01/17/2007, 05:53 PM   #8
Chicago
Registered Member

the reason i ask about the shaking is that some of the kent seems to fall out as there is a hard layer in the bottle on the bottom that takes a lot of time to shake up..

so if need be i can add a cup to the sump of the stuff at one time..??

i thought you dont want to do that with alk mixes.. turn snow in the water?

thanks

Unread 01/17/2007, 11:16 PM   #9
MJAnderson
Premium Member

honestly I have a medium load SPS and full kalk isn't enough. I have few SPS, but tons of corraline.

MJAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2007, 05:00 PM   #10
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

the reason i ask about the shaking is that some of the kent seems to fall out as there is a hard layer in the bottle on the bottom that takes a lot of time to shake up..

you mean a Kent two part? The alkalinity part of many additives are pushing the solubility limits and may precipitate if the get cold. Warm those to redissolve them.. But in general, they do not need to be shaken once made. A little solid on the bottom is OK.

i thought you dont want to do that with alk mixes.. turn snow in the water?

A little transient precipitation of magnesium hydroxide is normal and not a concern, assuming it redissolves.

Unread 01/18/2007, 06:53 PM   #11
Chicago
Registered Member

thanks..

Unread 01/18/2007, 06:53 PM   #12
Chicago
Registered Member

i am going to set up some 5 gallon jugs... that should not be a problem and then hook up a reef doser to them

Unread 01/19/2007, 06:42 AM   #13
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Sounds good.

Good luck.