Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/15/2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Shnabbles
Registered Member

Can I add 1 Part of Randys 2 Part Mix?

Since I drip lime water my calcium hast been depleting at all.. and when i add as little as 50ml to a 55 gallon tank the calcium jumps up 50ppm and id like to keep my calcium right at 400 and not 450... So iv been adding only the Alkalinity part (50ml/day) and my alk is staying right at 4.0 which is what my target is...

Will adding only the alk part through anything off? Or is there anything i should look out for if i only do this?

Shnabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2006, 05:29 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

If only alkalinity is dosed, calcium should decline slowly, at the rate of about 20 ppm calcium to 1.0 meq/L drop in alkalinity.

Which calcium test kit are you using? The results you are seeing might be close to the noise limits for the test kit.

Unread 12/15/2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Shnabbles
Registered Member

Red Sea i think it is... doesnt the lime water add alittle big of calcium back into the system?

Shnabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2006, 06:46 PM   #4
Mike O'Brien
Registered Member

Limewater add's a balanced mix of calcium and alkalinity in the ratio Jonathan mentioned. The same as randy's recipe when using both part's equally. That ratio makes it seem that alkalinity is depleting faster than calcium, but generally you're better off dosing both part's of the system equally. And don't forget part 3.

Mike O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2006, 12:00 AM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

The Red Sea test kit has (or had) a resolution of 50 ppm, so I wouldn't worry too much about the Ca reading.