Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2010, 07:39 PM   #1
jeremyjoslin
Registered Member

Does Utica need a reef club and sub-forum?

I live in Utica and am tortured by all the good deals and freebies offered by all people out in Rochester and Buffalo. I wish those of us out East here could get in on the action.

Anyone interested?

jeremyjoslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 07:56 PM   #2
mr86mister
Saltaholic

I know the feeling but eventually more and more people pop up from the area. Syracuse has started to become really good with deals and of course the addition of ABC Reef's has helped drastically. Utica isn't a too far of a drive only about 40 minutes on the thruway. There are actually about a dozen people on this from Utica, one of the Kent's is I believe and a few others that haven't posted in a while.

Current Tank Info: I like turtles.....
mr86mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 08:11 PM   #3
reefscape15
Registered Member

I was about to suggest ABC as well, but someone has beat me to it. I'm lucky enough to have 2 LFS's within about 2 seconds from my home. They aren't the best I've ever seen, but they are very nice to have so close by. All my frags for about the first 4 years came from my local LFS, and I am very appreciative of that. But now that I've gotten so much into the hobby, I have been willing to drive the extra miles to check out what the "other guys" have to offer. Let me tell you that ABC has some of the best stuff that I've ever seen.

Having said all that.........I have to give props to City Zoo for hooking me up with a REDICULOUS frag of Orange Cruch Acan Echinatta! Probably my most favorite coral in my tank. And........I have to give props to TFO (Tropical Fish Outlet) for the fish selection and the willing to trade-in, and also for being soooooo willing to help out a "newb" getting into the saltwater hobby. Both those shops are in Elmira, if you ever get the trip down this way. They aren't the greatest you will ever see in your ventures, but they are definitely worth checking out if you do come this way.

So......long story short........my answer is no.....you do not need a seperate reef club for Utica when you have Syracuse so close...........not to mention Utica Club!!!!! Shultz and Dooley!!!!!!!!!

JIM

Current Tank Info: 5g standard softie/zoa tank, just starting a 20H
reefscape15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 08:16 PM   #4
aww_419
Registered Member

I get the frustration with the lfs' but I dont understand your title? are your looking to start a utica reef club or sub-forum? If so, why with only 12 or so people?

aww_419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 09:51 PM   #5
jeremyjoslin
Registered Member

I work in Syracuse... that's not an issue. I just wish that I could log in to a sub-forum and see who has tanks and stuff to sell (or give away) closer than Rochester or Elmira. It feels like I'm several hours from all the action.

BTW, I'm talking about sub-forum. No frustration with LFS. We have a small one here in Utica and I visit ABC weekly. No complaints there... just talking about being being jealous of all the very Western NY chatter... and wish we had similar chatter in the center of the state.

Unread 04/12/2010, 10:17 PM   #6
piscivorous
Registered Member

I don't know about Utica, but Ithaca certainly could use a little more support....or interest...not sure who is around here any more. Rochester area seems to be strong, but now with ABC about 45 minutes north of me, I would think Ithaca could use some support....

piscivorous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 10:30 PM   #7
aww_419
Registered Member

Isnt there a NY southertier forum?

Unread 04/12/2010, 10:42 PM   #8
shawna1972
Registered Member

http://www.tierreef.com/

Link for southern tier reef society for NY if needed.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon in wall,30 gallon sump,mag 18 pump ran external.T5 Nova Extreme Pro lighting,BRS GFO/Carbon reactor,Octopus skimmer,Coralife125 super skimmer.
shawna1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 11:10 PM   #9
andrew2010
Registered Member

" It feels like I'm several hours from all the action. " Try living in olean/cuba area. There are 3 or 4 of us in our area and we have to go to buff/roch/cuse for LFS/ swaps etc.. lots of driving= lots of gas= more wallet strain[just another reef expense for this wonderfull hobby] compared to most of ya..

So I feel you. Just hook up with your local reefers and keep connected. We just had Kat come down and had a mini reef crawl with the three of us and it was great. I am sure there are more reef hobbyists around here but not many on RC .

andrew2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 11:39 PM   #10
aww_419
Registered Member

See, I had no idea there was a reef crawl in olean. I in the last 2 weeks I went to the roch area, Jamestown, Erie pa, Pittsburgh pa, and the niagarafalls/youngstown area, and not on business or anything, with the sole purpose of meeting folks and enjoying the hobby. hopefully if time permits ill be at the swap in venetta NY and already have a trip on the books for long island to see the atlantis aquarium in may and plans to get out to syracuse and albany at the end of the month. I know others have done the same in the last few weeks. People are willing to travel and meet and even bring things from other hobbyists or lfs', you just have to post where they can see it or ask. I would i have liked to have gone to olean.

Unread 04/13/2010, 01:40 AM   #11
superkat
Premium Member

when i'm planning on going out of Rochester, I will ALWAYS start a "Road Trip" thread. And if anyone ever wants to go with me? I'm more than happy to have passengers. This Saturday FOR SURE, I'm going to Elmira for the swap...if I get one person coming..you get to ride in the X-Wing...more than one, I take the jeep.

Unread 04/13/2010, 03:29 AM   #12
Sir Edward
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyjoslin View Post
I live in Utica and am tortured by all the good deals and freebies offered by all people out in Rochester and Buffalo. I wish those of us out East here could get in on the action.

Anyone interested?
I know just how you feel jeremy, I live in Rome. Anyone else in the Utica/Rome area? Lets plan a day of meet and greet with possible tank views.

Current Tank Info: 220 reef tank, with 2 29gal sumps
Sir Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 04:29 PM   #13
Sir Edward
Registered Member

Anyone?

Current Tank Info: 220 reef tank, with 2 29gal sumps
Sir Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 07:59 PM   #14
reefscape15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscivorous View Post
I don't know about Utica, but Ithaca certainly could use a little more support....or interest...not sure who is around here any more. Rochester area seems to be strong, but now with ABC about 45 minutes north of me, I would think Ithaca could use some support....
Wait till you see what there is to offer when you go to the St. James swap! Van Etten is only about 10-15 mins from Ithaca, and once they are open back up for good, you'll have a great LFS pretty close.

JIM

Current Tank Info: 5g standard softie/zoa tank, just starting a 20H
reefscape15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2010, 05:23 AM   #15
faze07hd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aww_420 View Post
I get the frustration with the lfs' but I dont understand your title? are your looking to start a utica reef club or sub-forum? If so, why with only 12 or so people?
I agree... I dont even think that theres that many of us... I only think ive seen 4, maybe 5 people post in here from Utica.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
faze07hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2010, 11:49 PM   #16
jeremyjoslin
Registered Member

We should maybe setup a special Utica/Rome FS/FT thread. If we all subscribed to it we could keep up on anything each other has to offer locally.

BTW, anyone have any xenia to trade for caulerpa? Anyone selling LR cheap?

Unread 04/29/2010, 08:22 PM   #17
Kent D.
Registered Member

I am only aware of four or five people on RC that are from Utica but it could grow. I am now actually in the Albany area but Utica lacks members and stores. I grew up in Utica and my family is still there. After college moved downstate and worked in NYC.

ABC Reef is close though and it is a great store. I tend to travel alot and know alot about most stores in NY State so I get my fix. Plus online works as well.

Bottomline, Rochester/Buffalo area tend to have he best stores besides the Greenwich, CT stores and a few in NJ IMO.

As for a forum, URS is the option at this point unless your closer to Albany where we have CDMAS.org

Kent D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2010, 11:33 PM   #18
jeremyjoslin
Registered Member

@Kent
ABC is great and there's a few Ok stores around closer. Not really my point though... when I got into reefs 5 years ago I was in Albany and built up a great tank without having to buy much at retail. CDMAS was great to be involved with and got me going. There doesn't seem to be alot of people in Utica with lots of stuff to trade/sell, and that's what makes me sad. As nice as ABC is, I can't walk into the store and walk out with a 20 pound chunk of LR teaming with life that has a RBTA attached and another bag with a pair of mature clowns who spawn every 2 weeks for $40 total Thanks again, CDMAS guy who was tearing down his tank!

Unread 04/30/2010, 06:19 AM   #19
faze07hd
Registered Member

I have some pulsing xenia that i dont mind giving you for free. PM me to maybe set up a time this weekend.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
faze07hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2010, 12:37 PM   #20
Capt_Cully
Registered Member

For a looong time I was one of only a handful of people from Syracuse on URS, and look at the SYR-Faction now. I say hang in there.

ABC Reefs was definitely responsible for getting a lot of people more active in the hobby and onto RC.

Current Tank Info: 120, Radion Gen 2 Pro x 2
Capt_Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2010, 01:04 PM   #21
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Cully View Post
For a looong time I was one of only a handful of people from Syracuse on URS, and look at the SYR-Faction now. I say hang in there.
+1. I had a frag trade at my place maybe 4 years ago and there were 7 or 8 people, I was really thrilled. Now, we have a frag trade at ABC, and you can't even walk across the room - there were probably several dozen people there, at least.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2010, 02:46 PM   #22
razzmatazz
Premium Member

I am closer to Urticaria then Syracuse

razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reef club, utica