Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2016, 01:27 PM   #1
frogiii
Registered Member.

Best Brands for part A&B?

I've been buying and making part AB from BulkreefSupplies. Is there a better quality AB's? on different brands like the salt we use?? I noticed there are black sediments on the bottom of container do you accumulated this too??

Current Tank Info: 100g Leemar tank with 30g AA sump running 2 x Ecotech Radion XR30 & 2 x 40QD plus Vertex Omega 130 skimmer, Vertex Zeovit reactor, Vertex Calcium Reactor
frogiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2016, 03:10 PM   #2
ChefZilla
Registered Member

Personally I really like tritons mix. Best part is there's no water change as it says it has everything you need

48"x 25"x 24" Sidebraced, Mixed reef SPS dominant on the way
48"x18"

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon mixed reef, 55 gallon sump/refugium w/ macros
ChefZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2016, 03:25 PM   #3
BeanMachine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogiii View Post
I've been buying and making part AB from BulkreefSupplies. Is there a better quality AB's? on different brands like the salt we use?? I noticed there are black sediments on the bottom of container do you accumulated this too??
I've been using ESV B-Ionic... its quite a bit more concentrated I've noticed compared to the BRS two part.

I am interested in trying to ME Coral supplements though next time I need to buy some.

SCRK has a meeting on February 20th at 6pm in Anaheim at Two Guys Corals. We are having a presentation on the ME Coral supplements.

Unread 02/09/2016, 04:12 PM   #4
OC CJ
Crushed coral > sand

I've been using the ME Coral for a few months now. Great stuff and noticed i'm not dosing as much alk vs. the bionic (although this could be due to a high alk batch of IO salt). However, I've started dosing Mg now since my levels dropped using ME.

I started off with the 1 gal jugs but bought their powder mix this time. mixes clean, quick with no residue. Plus, it mixes 1 gal for around $12.

As for the tank, I haven't noticed any difference attributed to the switch.

Current Tank Info: 66g, 20g sump, RO Elite 150INT, ATI 6x24w with 2xReefbrite XHO, CalRx with custom reg, 2 x gyre 130 controlled by Full Apex, DIY chaeto reactor
OC CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2016, 06:00 PM   #5
frogiii
Registered Member.

Where do you guys buy ME Coral? I want to try different brand and see. My container that holds Alk and Ca is white and I can see black cloud like residue on the bottom. is this normal?

Current Tank Info: 100g Leemar tank with 30g AA sump running 2 x Ecotech Radion XR30 & 2 x 40QD plus Vertex Omega 130 skimmer, Vertex Zeovit reactor, Vertex Calcium Reactor
frogiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2016, 08:04 PM   #6
pciscott
Pirates Cove Reef

I have been running ME additives since RAP, I too notice that they mix much better and are much more clear than other additives. Age and Two Guys carry the brand. The Alk mixes up clear in minutes with no Crystals like other brands I have tried.

I has high Lithium and every Triton test it is coming down since I made the switch.

I am also running ME Aminos and my colors and Polyp extension seem to be better, but my glass has to be cleaned more often.

Current Tank Info: Pirates Cove 400 Gallon Peninsula with 10 Ecotech Gen 4 Pro Lights, SPS heavy mixed Reef, Tank Controlled by Apex back up monitoring by Profilux, Tropic Marin Pro Salt, Brightwell Suplements and Bio Bricks, Way too many Fish! Keep it simple!
pciscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2016, 05:20 AM   #7
billyzbear
Registered Member

Wow, I guess I'm only the cheap one.
Baking soda-costco
calcium chloride-50LB bag for 50$
I have been using for 7+ years, no problems.

billyzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2016, 06:24 AM   #8
Atech85
Registered Member

I have just purchased a dosing pump, and my goal is to automate the tank as much as possible. Any thoughts on a two/three part that won't clog the pump, and will achieve the best results for coral health?

Atech85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 12:44 AM   #9
JMLewis
Registered Member

Been using BRS for years, never an issue mix perfectly clear every time for me. Just recently started adding Balling light 1, 2, and 3 for some extra trace elements.

JMLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 07:42 PM   #10
CAMPGE
Registered Member

I use esv b ionic with great results

CAMPGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2016, 12:21 AM   #11
ReefTron5000
Registered Member

I've been using B-ionic for coming up on 4 years now with good results. I used to get the 4 gallon concentrate 2 part for $99 shipped from premium aquatics but I think they raised their price to $120.

ReefTron5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2016, 03:19 PM   #12
maikoa02
Registered Member

Used ESV for years after switching from Calcium rx to dosing and finally sps success. JW from TGC convnces me to try out ME products. ESV is a good product so i dont see a difference on how my sticks look or react since switching to ME, so ME is great too. But ME is less expensive and it mixes quickly and clear, unlike the alk for ESV (which is a pita to mix). ESV alk would always have solids or crystals that the only way to make it dissipate would be to heat the container, shake, and waite a day, a real pita.

maikoa02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2016, 06:14 PM   #13
SanClementeEric
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyzbear View Post
Wow, I guess I'm only the cheap one.
Baking soda-costco
calcium chloride-50LB bag for 50$
I have been using for 7+ years, no problems.
Nice!

Care to share your recipe?

SanClementeEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 04:25 PM   #14
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

I used Warner marine for years as that got harder to find I went to sea chem reef fusion. Very happy with it.

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote