Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/10/2016, 04:40 PM   #26
billyzbear
Registered Member

Three, you sold the other male flame.

billyzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2016, 05:01 PM   #27
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Yes I had to. To much aggression

Obladi Oblada, life goes on Brah!

Current Tank Info: Tankless in TX and watching from the sidelines
dodgerblew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2016, 09:24 PM   #28
d-man
Registered Member

Rio, I can't pull up the first pic, but the 2nd pic of the pintail looks more like a katoi female wrasse

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2016, 09:25 PM   #29
d-man
Registered Member

It doesn't look like it has the pintail and it's more dark than most pintails are

Unread 02/10/2016, 09:57 PM   #30
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-man View Post
It doesn't look like it has the pintail
I noticed that too and thought may be it was a female. But OP said male. It might be a Katoi male. Here's a pic of one for comparison.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2016, 11:03 PM   #31
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Quote:
Rio, I can't pull up the first pic, but the 2nd pic of the pintail looks more like a katoi female wrasse
Do the Katoi have blue streaks running horizontal on body and through cheeks.

Unread 02/10/2016, 11:04 PM   #32
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
I noticed that too and thought may be it was a female. But OP said male. It might be a Katoi male. Here's a pic of one for comparison.
What is that a pic of?

Unread 02/10/2016, 11:20 PM   #33
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblew View Post
What is that a pic of?
Male katoi. And below is a pic of my male Pintail that unfortunately did not make it through QT. it actually had a pintail which is why I thought yours could've been a female.

Unread 02/10/2016, 11:52 PM   #34
d-man
Registered Member

Yes transitioning katoi. Still a beautiful wrasse and not often seen.
I have one and I really like him. They are flooding the market more and more, but less than cf. Lanceolatous.

Unread 02/10/2016, 11:53 PM   #35
d-man
Registered Member

Coraladdiction pic is of the male pintail aka C.cf lanceolatous. I had mine 2 years and just recently disappeared. Was my second favorite wrasse. Such amazing colors. Too bad about yours CA. I have a female and will be obtaining a male here again very soon.
But I'm also glad I have my Katoi as they are also very cool wrasses. The horizontal streaks blended with the darker color really stands out in males.

Enjoy it either way rik. You won't be disappointed and the male Katie are the same price as the pintails in most cases. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Unread 02/10/2016, 11:56 PM   #36
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Coraladdiction pic is of the male pintail aka C.cf lanceolatous.
Haha, I'm getting lost here. Which one? The very last pic I posted is Pintail. The picture before that one was IDed as male Katoi in the Reef Fishes section thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2557007

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 02/11/2016 at 12:11 AM. Reason: added link
Unread 02/10/2016, 11:59 PM   #37
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Like d-man said, great pick up either way.

Unread 02/11/2016, 12:01 AM   #38
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Too bad about yours CA. I have a female and will be obtaining a male here again very soon.
Thank you. Sorry about yours as well. I am getting a female Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse tomorrow and hope it does well in QT.

Unread 02/11/2016, 08:28 AM   #39
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Quote:
Coraladdiction pic is of the male pintail aka C.cf lanceolatous. I had mine 2 years and just recently disappeared. Was my second favorite wrasse. Such amazing colors. Too bad about yours CA. I have a female and will be obtaining a male here again very soon.
But I'm also glad I have my Katoi as they are also very cool wrasses. The horizontal streaks blended with the darker color really stands out in males.

Enjoy it either way rik. You won't be disappointed and the male Katie are the same price as the pintails in most cases. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
I messaged this link to the vendor asking for clarification. Thank you both. Honestly, I'm a bit perturbed. I'm such a novice on fairy wrasses I'd never seen either one before other than a pic. I purchased a pintail that was being offered for sale on a thread as a supermale. Before I bought it I specifically asked if that was the exact fish I was getting and I was told yes. That's what I should get. It's a pretty fish but not what I bought. You're both correct. Although the fishes caudal fin isn't spread out all the time when watching closely it did spread it and it was fan shaped. This is twice in a month. I recently purchased what I was told was a m/f Lineatus and turned out was 2 sub males and then one male had a lip wound which eventually took it out. That was a pricy mistake I shouldn't of had to deal with. Now this. This can't be made right bc I don't have the room in my tank to add what I bought even if the right one could be sent. Price wise, pintail was on discount at $199 and Katoi are still posted at $129. Oh well, chalk it up to poo happens

Unread 02/11/2016, 09:01 AM   #40
d-man
Registered Member

Ca, yes you are correct. The first is katoi, I was talking about your second pic.

I love my Diamond tail pair. You will enjoy yours. They are pretty hardy too.

Unread 02/11/2016, 09:02 AM   #41
d-man
Registered Member

Quote:
I messaged this link to the vendor asking for clarification. Thank you both. Honestly, I'm a bit perturbed. I'm such a novice on fairy wrasses I'd never seen either one before other than a pic. I purchased a pintail that was being offered for sale on a thread as a supermale. Before I bought it I specifically asked if that was the exact fish I was getting and I was told yes. That's what I should get. It's a pretty fish but not what I bought. You're both correct. Although the fishes caudal fin isn't spread out all the time when watching closely it did spread it and it was fan shaped. This is twice in a month. I recently purchased what I was told was a m/f Lineatus and turned out was 2 sub males and then one male had a lip wound which eventually took it out. That was a pricy mistake I shouldn't of had to deal with. Now this. This can't be made right bc I don't have the room in my tank to add what I bought even if the right one could be sent. Price wise, pintail was on discount at $199 and Katoi are still posted at $129. Oh well, chalk it up to poo happens
Yes, I would be too if it were a vendor and it was wysiwyg. This is not right for them to do that.

Unread 02/11/2016, 09:34 AM   #42
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Quote:
Male katoi. And below is a pic of my male Pintail that unfortunately did not make it through QT. it actually had a pintail which is why I thought yours could've been a female.
This pic looks more like the wysiwyg fish I paid for

Unread 02/11/2016, 10:04 AM   #43
d-man
Registered Member

Notice the horizontal line running through the body in both pics? Katoi=red line starting at gill plate, pintail= lavender line originating above eye then around gill plate then horizontal

Unread 02/11/2016, 10:54 AM   #44
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Yes. I definitely have a Katoi. Not happy

Unread 02/11/2016, 11:19 PM   #45
blkg35
Registered Member

I'm sorry to hear about the mix up Rik. I hope the seller fixes the mistake.

blkg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2016, 08:42 AM   #46
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Other than a refund or possibly the offer of a credit there's no way to fix the mistake David. The fish is in tank, established and most importantly getting along with the other two. I wanted a pintail supermale. The Katoi is a nice fish but it's a sub male. The other thing I noticed but took for granted until now is that the main color, red, is pretty much the same color as my flame. It is what it is and there's worse problems in the world than this so will keep in perspective. Kinda wish I didn't post since there are so many people with so much expert info lol. I would've never known until one day I post a pic of something else and it photo bombs and I get a comment of nice Katoi!

Unread 02/12/2016, 10:49 AM   #47
acesq
Registered Member

I'd be ****ed too Rik. You might consider having him ship the correct fish and you can send back the Katoi at his cost.

Unread 02/12/2016, 11:10 AM   #48
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

I agree, it's on the vendor. As bad of a loss as it is for them, the right thing to do would be to issue a full refund and let the buyer keep the Katoi. The vendor should own the mistake here. There's nothing that the buyer did wrong.

Unread 02/12/2016, 11:49 AM   #49
slobound
Registered Member

Quote:
Kinda wish I didn't post since there are so many people with so much expert info lol. I would've never known until one day I post a pic of something else and it photo bombs and I get a comment of nice Katoi!
Rik, I'm glad you posted the pic otherwise you may have not have known that the fish shipped was something that you didn't purchase. I hope this gets resolved quickly with the vendor. I agree with the other comments that the vendor "should" do the right thing and ship you the correct fish that you paid for.

Current Tank Info: 100 gallon rimless, ATI T5/Reefbrite LED, mixed reef
slobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2016, 04:27 PM   #50
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
I'd be ****ed too Rik. You might consider having him ship the correct fish and you can send back the Katoi at his cost.
Hes out of town until Monday. He's a reputable vendor. I have no reason to think he wouldn't do the right thing. My point is it can't be made right. I have three males now in my cube so can't put another in and trapping it and shipping back isn't an option for me since I don't have the supplies, O2 etc plus it's a gamble of breaking corals and disrupting aquascape trying to catch it. My aquascape came from you and those pieces don't interlock well and it's somewhat of a balancing act in there. I wouldn't want to gamble on it. It's a nice fish but not what I wanted. He doesn't have any pintail on his stock page so my guess is someone who bought a Katoi has a beautiful pintail supermale

Quote:
I agree, it's on the vendor. As bad of a loss as it is for them, the right thing to do would be to issue a full refund and let the buyer keep the Katoi. The vendor should own the mistake here. There's nothing that the buyer did wrong.
i think the vendor is a good and reputable seller and have the faith in people to do the right thing until proven otherwise. I'm hoping that is the outcome and not offered credit because my tank is pretty much full so that wouldn't help me. I've heard nothing but positive about the vendor so I'm hopeful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobound View Post
Rik, I'm glad you posted the pic otherwise you may have not have known that the fish shipped was something that you didn't purchase. I hope this gets resolved quickly with the vendor. I agree with the other comments that the vendor "should" do the right thing and ship you the correct fish that you paid for.
See above. I guess you can look at it two ways. Poor fish, in a day it went from a nice looking fish I was happy to show off to the proverbial red headed stepchild