Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2018, 04:38 PM   #1
Liverockmia
Registered Member

Slicing mushrooms in half

Just realized I posted in the wrong section earlier. Can I slice a mushroom in half while it’s still attached to its original rock? Or will the two halves fuse back together? Thanks

Liverockmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 07:58 AM   #2
eastlake
Registered Member

If you slice it should turn into two mushrooms just be sure to give it a quick dip after cutting to help prevent infection.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 03:33 PM   #3
shrimpman_oz
Registered Member

Remember that a mushroom will reproduce by itself. Mushrooms walk around buy very slowly and as they do a small section of the foot will tears off and make new mushrooms. My mushrooms do that quite regularly. Some more than others.

shrimpman_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 01:39 PM   #4
j.falk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman_oz View Post
Remember that a mushroom will reproduce by itself. Mushrooms walk around buy very slowly and as they do a small section of the foot will tears off and make new mushrooms. My mushrooms do that quite regularly. Some more than others.
^ This. A colony of mushrooms that I bought less than 6 months ago has already doubled their population.

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 05:57 AM   #5
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

it might turn into two or it might fuse back together.

years ago I did an experiment where I put several coralimorphs into a blender and dumped the resulting sludge into a tank. needless to say within about 6 months the tank was extremely over-run with mushrooms. (this tank was dedicated for this purpose) it was pretty cool.

Unread 03/19/2018, 02:17 PM   #6
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefkeeperZ View Post
years ago I did an experiment where I put several coralimorphs into a blender and dumped the resulting sludge into a tank. needless to say within about 6 months the tank was extremely over-run with mushrooms. (this tank was dedicated for this purpose) it was pretty cool.
Hilarious.

I wonder if anyone would be brave enough to do this to a jawbreaker?

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 08:11 PM   #7
Apercula
Registered Member

I cut a very large Amplexidiscus in half, both halves survived. When I initially pulled the parent from my tank it left behind a half dozen or so small spots on the rockwork, and most of them survived.

Apercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 09:05 PM   #8
Reefpuck
Registered Member

I've cut them before...but I feel like they can pop off little babies just as quick as waiting for them to heal enough to be cut again.

But to answer your question, I've never seen them fuse back together. If you can get them to reattach to one another...then start fusing different colored mushrooms together and become a millionaire!

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 05:28 AM   #9
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

with coralimorph, it's been proven time and again, pretty much any amount of flesh can recover and create another coralimorph under proper conditions. recovery time is greatly increased when a piece of the mouth is attached to the segment in question.

Unread 03/27/2018, 11:20 AM   #10
j.falk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpuck View Post
If you can get them to reattach to one another...then start fusing different colored mushrooms together and become a millionaire!
Frankenshrooms!

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 11:11 PM   #11
Redseadragon12
In Memoriam

Quote:

Ive done this and six months later had zero new mushrooms. What i found out is that all the scavengers actually love those little pieces of mushrooms and they ate them all especially the spaghetti worms.

Redseadragon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 11:12 PM   #12
Redseadragon12
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverockmia View Post
Just realized I posted in the wrong section earlier. Can I slice a mushroom in half while it’s still attached to its original rock? Or will the two halves fuse back together? Thanks
In my experience they usually just fuse back together unless you get every piece of tissue separated which is really hard without removing one half.

Redseadragon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 12:32 PM   #13
Fylerb
Registered Member

They will typically fuse back if they are still touching. Can try and get thin plastic to keep seperate for a week til starting to heal

Fylerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 04:47 PM   #14
Shia
Registered Member

Quote:

I want to believe this is true. Can you elaborate which type you did this with? Have any pics?

Shia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 04:42 PM   #15
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

common red discosoma, common green "watermelon" striped discosoma, and a green pebble front. let em see about pictures they were all on photobucket so not sure if I can find them.

Unread 04/25/2018, 04:48 PM   #16
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

I literally cant even acess the photobucket acount they are on. I tried all I can see is bucket photos from that acount from years ago. it kills me thousands of pictures lost

Unread 04/25/2018, 07:24 PM   #17
norfolkgarden
Registered Member

Quote:
I literally cant even acess the photobucket acount they are on. I tried all I can see is bucket photos from that acount from years ago. it kills me thousands of pictures lost
We are now using Google photos. A few dollars a month for 100Gb. Set up auto pay with credit card.
Hoping it will still be there years from now.
If I remember to update the card when the current card expires.

Google calendar works for that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

norfolkgarden is offline   Reply With Quote