Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2018, 08:52 AM   #1
skune
Premium Member

Amazing Fish Transformations video, Caribbean Edition

As aquarium keepers, we often only get to see one phase of a fishes lifespan, and some not at all, because of size. One thing that struck me when I first went out on the reefs was the various phases of fishes, from the juveniles through various sexes and adult fish that I had never seen before. I have made 8 trips to the Caribbean, and have accumulated enough footage to show some of the transformations that we might not always see if we just have them at home in our tanks.
Many fish species undergo remarkable transformations through their lifespan. In this video we look at 5 Caribbean species and observe their changes. First is the Queen Angel that starts out as a colorful little blue and yellow striped juvenile and becomes the magnificent adult queen angel. Next is the Spotted Drum which starts out looking like a black and white striped head with two long ribbons attached. Eventually the "ribbons" shorten into the body and tail, and a high dorsal fin. The adult version is nocturnal, so we only see them early in the morning, or at sunset. It is an abstract combination of stripes and spots and is one of the most striking fish seen on the reef. Next we see the French Angel from the tiny juvenile that sets up a cleaning station to the larger semi-adult that starts losing it's stripes to the huge adults with their yellow-flecked scales and grayish face. Next up is the yellow-head wrasse that begins as a bright yellow-orange female with a neon blue stripe and eventually becomes a male with different patterns and colors. We finish with the stoplight parrotfish as it changes from a female to a male with completely different colors on each version. From the checkerboard pattern on their backs, and bright red undersides of the female to the bright green male.
Please check it out, you might just see something you haven't seen before.
See it here:
https://youtu.be/PvvAzE5WGek

Current Tank Info: 125 FOWLR w/38 refugium, 90 Surfline Reef, 29 Macro tank
skune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 08:08 PM   #2
devimik
Registered Member

Cool video - amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Coral Beauty, Green Filefish, One Spot Foxface, Springeri Dottyback, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby, Flame Hawkfish, Spotted Mandarin

Current Tank Info: 90g Softie Reef, 150# live rock, 30g sump w/refugium, Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO, Octopus NWB 150 Skimmer, Mag 950 return, Maxspect 120w Razor 10K LED light X2, BRS Phosphate Reactor; Apex Lite
devimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 05:19 AM   #3
MrsBugmaster
Registered Member

Fantastic video! Thanks for producing and sharing it!!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 170, my reef tank. 180 gal FOWLR tank
MrsBugmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 06:54 PM   #4
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Thanks! I have the jacknife fish but never saw the adult!

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 13-gal w/ clowns
pinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 11:42 AM   #5
sacremon
Registered Member

Someone needs to make an educational one for Platax pinnatus, perhaps the rest of the Platax species as well, just to show how much different the juveniles are from the adults. As a whole the juveniles are quite different from each other but the adults look very similar to each other.

Maybe less people would buy juvenile P. pinnatus as a result.

Edit: I have no issues with people owning them if they know what they are getting into. I've had a P. orbicularis for six years. P. pinnatus is the species that traditionally gets bought because of the appearance of the juvenile.

Unread 04/30/2018, 02:21 PM   #6
skune
Premium Member

not actually a jacknife fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnatus View Post
Thanks! I have the jacknife fish but never saw the adult!
It looks almost exactly like it, but this is the spotted drum. The jacknife juvenile has one less stripe on it's head. I've never seen the adult version of the jacknife, but I imagine it's also similar to the drum, since the juvis are almost identical.

Current Tank Info: 125 FOWLR w/38 refugium, 90 Surfline Reef, 29 Macro tank
skune is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caribbean, french angelfish, queen angelfish, wrasse