Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/19/2018, 07:05 AM   #1
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Is this a MAG/Does it look healthy

I have been offered this anemone, what do you think regarding species and health?

Its tentacles look a little stringy, the mags I have seen ten to have chubby tentacles?

Thankshttps://www.dropbox.com/s/ulpkrc1c3b...A0000.mp4?dl=0

Unread 04/19/2018, 08:14 AM   #2
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Yes, it’s a mag. Low flow is almost certainly the main reason why its tentacles look that way.
The anemone has a potential to do well but be prepared to treat it.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 08:44 AM   #3
davocean
Registered Member

Yeah, low flow, relaxed tentacles, does look like it could be a mag but I like to see base for best ID really, and hard to tell in that light but may be a little bleached, mysis a couple times a week would help.
It is a good idea to have cipro already if getting a newly shipped mag, just in case, most do need treatment.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 10:23 AM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

It looks to be a healthy Magnifica. I am not sure that the tentacle color is correct however.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 04:17 PM   #5
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
It looks to be a healthy Magnifica. I am not sure that the tentacle color is correct however.
I have been told it has pink tenticals and purple foot, is this not correct colour?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdhk6ma06u...A0007.jpg?dl=0

Unread 04/19/2018, 04:42 PM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

That was what I meant on my comment of it looking somewhat bleached, but true color can come back w/ spot feed of mysis a couple times a week.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 04/19/2018, 04:50 PM   #7
Kinetic
Registered Member

I bet the color is really hard to tell because the white balance is really uncorrected. Everything looks purple, so if it isn't a complementary color, it's impossible to tell what it really looks like. It could be white, brown, tan, or purple.

I think that's why it's unclear if it's bleached or not. But I think being bleached isn't as bad of a problem, since under good tank conditions and feeding it should recover (and wouldn't need cipro or other treatments).

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 04:57 PM   #8
davocean
Registered Member

Well I agree w/ most of that, but you can't tell if cipro is needed or not by just pics.
They can look perfectly fine for hours, day, maybe more, and then deflate later, on and off.
That's why it's always a good idea to have cipro and a hospital tank at the ready, as if needing treatment, usually time is of the essence.

Unread 04/20/2018, 04:29 AM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

The light the anemone is under is misleading. I think it is under the pink PC light so it really look pink. It is bleached some what. I agree with davocean that sick anemone can look healthy then deflated. You have to see him at his worst to know if he is sick. Still, he looks fine. If you can ask for a picture under white, daylight, then you can judge on the color. I just don't want you to pay an arm for it and expect it to look like that under normal light.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 04/20/2018, 06:40 AM   #10
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Here are the updated pictures under whites, and it does look bleached.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtlv88y5fd...A0000.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kymqurqb2r...A0002.mp4?dl=0

Unread 04/20/2018, 06:55 AM   #11
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

I have been offered a gold-tipped with a purple base, which I like, what do you think?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xan13glyk7...A0001.jpg?dl=0

Unread 04/20/2018, 08:59 AM   #12
pfan151
Registered Member

I think both Anemones will end up being about the same color when they settle in. The last one just looks less bleached and more healthy overall. I’d go with that one if I were you.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 09:23 AM   #13
shred5
Registered Member

Yea they do look bleached some but not totally under white light.. The one in your second post #11 looks better to me and not bleached at all.

Unread 04/20/2018, 09:38 AM   #14
OrionN
Moved on

They both going to look about the same when healthy.

Unread 04/20/2018, 02:23 PM   #15
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

I shall put the anemone straight into qt tank when it arrives. Should I put him on a small plate lor cup in the tank for him to attach to?

Unread 04/20/2018, 02:37 PM   #16
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeprian View Post
I shall put the anemone straight into qt tank when it arrives. Should I put him on a small plate lor cup in the tank for him to attach to?
Some may disagree, but if you get that last one I’d put it right in the display unless you have other mags. If it deflates then you can pull it for treatment. Mags are much more forgiving than gigs.

If you do go into treatment You can try a mug or a flat rock but it will probably end up moving off of whatever you put it on anyway.

Unread 04/20/2018, 03:09 PM   #17
OrionN
Moved on

depends on the size of the anemone, I rec a mug for Magnifica. Whatever that have some height and have enough surface for the whole foot to attach to. Anything to keep the Gigantea form attach to the tank.
Given adequate light and current, I usually able to keep the Mag from crawling off the mug.

Unread 04/22/2018, 01:23 PM   #18
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Which way should I put the mug? Does it need to sit isnide?

Unread 04/22/2018, 02:55 PM   #19
OrionN
Moved on

I put the mug upside down or sideway, the handle keep it from rolling. He will be on top of the Mug, not inside.

Unread 04/26/2018, 03:02 AM   #20
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

So on Saturday, I'm going to choose a Mag from the guy who provided the above pics. What are the key details I'm looking for in order to pick the healthiest one possible?

Thanks

Unread 04/26/2018, 04:04 PM   #21
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeprian View Post
So on Saturday, I'm going to choose a Mag from the guy who provided the above pics. What are the key details I'm looking for in order to pick the healthiest one possible?

Thanks
Pretty much all tentacles inflated, closed mouth, firmly attached, and able to hold its shape well. I would have definitely got the one in the last pic you posted. It was by far the healthiest. Regardless of which you end up getting, make sure you have cipro on hand before bringing it home.