Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/08/2012, 07:53 PM   #251
James77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReefJedi View Post
It is really sad to see what Petco does with their fish, yesterday I went looking for fish to add to my stocking list for my planned 120 gallon and I saw some horrific sites. The little 5-10 gallon display tanks they use are crammed filled with fish, I saw no less than 50 bangaii cardinals stuffed into one, a "yellow" tang that was pale white that was clearly starving, and a foxface lo that was white and starving. I was going to take pics with my phone to post onto this thread but some of their workers gave me a glare and I quickly left the store.
It is a very common practice to stuff fish in small tanks across all levels of the industry. Even reputable fish retailers don't give each tang large tanks, it is horribly impractical.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 11:03 PM   #252
TheReefJedi
Registered Member

Although it is wrong not to give the individual fish it's proper tank size, and I know it would be impractical for the pet industries to be able to keep the fish in their recomended tank size, the point I was trying to get across is the fact that they stuff as many fish as they can into a tiny tank and not give them proper care and feedings.

1.5 Gallon Betta Only Tank: 3/11/2012
TheReefJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 11:16 PM   #253
dorky
Registered Member

if they too darn lazy to get that decaying dead fish out of the tank then what good are they? if they so strict on where they getting their fish from they need to do a better job picking vendor and at least hire someone who passionate for reef and fish i really don't care if they knowledgable or not

dorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 11:19 PM   #254
TheReefJedi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorky View Post
if they too darn lazy to get that decaying dead fish out of the tank then what good are they? If they so strict on where they getting their fish from they need to do a better job picking vendor and at least hire someone who passionate for reef and fish i really don't care if they knowledgable or not
+1

1.5 Gallon Betta Only Tank: 3/11/2012
TheReefJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 04:48 AM   #255
wnppmy
Registered Member

Fortunately ours fairs better, as do have an advanced salt water employee and others have some knowledge. Often tho purchase mine from the bag on arrivals.

Right now offer a free class on care for newbies on salt water.

Also a new employee considering setting up her own nano tank. Intrest is high there indeed.

Last edited by wnppmy; 05/09/2012 at 05:04 AM.
wnppmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 09:20 AM   #256
Soultwater
Registered Member

Why don't you volunteer at that store and teach them how to do it right.

I have a local store near me and they no longer sell saltwater fish but the freshwater filtration setup they have is a sump style. One of the return lines came apart and a whole wall of tanks quit working and none of the employees on shift knew how to fix it or even how it worked. Instead of getting mad at the situation I stayed and fixed it for them.

Current Tank Info: 125g mixed reef + 90g corner
Soultwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 07:59 PM   #257
johandagentile
Registered Member

I live in Columbus ga. and the petco here is an ICH factory!

Unread 05/20/2012, 10:20 PM   #258
msl5078
Registered Member

When I had my freshwater tank I went through dozens of fish from PETCO, there were horrible :-(. I have just learned to stay way from them and PETSMART.

msl5078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2012, 04:22 PM   #259
thebanker
Moved On

My Petco is pretty good, to be honest. It didn't used to be all that great, but lately, the tanks look clean and their livestock is always pretty healthy.

Maybe I'm the exception?

thebanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2012, 09:52 AM   #260
tebstan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
Maybe I'm the exception?
It doesn't appear to be common, but not impossible. My nearest Petco is pretty good too. Actually better than some LFS...

Washington's Rule #110: Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.
tebstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2012, 03:20 PM   #261
PlatinumPercula
Registered Member

Couple of Pics

Here are some pics of the coral frag tank at a local Petco. Not all employees/stores neglect the needs of their animals. Most of the employees here are very knowledgable. A picture IS worth a thousand words...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1425.JPG (41.7 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1427.JPG (43.8 KB, 212 views)
PlatinumPercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2012, 03:28 PM   #262
nepenthes99
Registered Member

Wow...that tank looks way better than any at my LFS. My petco is totally crappy and only sells a few diseased and dying damsels and snails. You are so lucky that you have a petco with a good SW department, most of us do not have a good petco.

nepenthes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2012, 07:26 PM   #263
pktech
Thread Ender

The one in Raritan is decent

pktech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2012, 08:49 PM   #264
NoHidn
Registered Member

that sux

NoHidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2012, 09:01 AM   #265
kv2wr1
Registered Member

I had one in my area that was really really good that went down hill fast. I think some of the key employees left and found other jobs. It now looks like every other Petco with diseased and dying fish & corals. The reef display (150g cube) has a full grown hippo tang with the worst HLLE I have ever seen. I wanted to buy that fish so I could heal it, but it wasn't for sale.

kv2wr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2012, 01:00 PM   #266
dorky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultwater View Post
Why don't you volunteer at that store and teach them how to do it right.

I have a local store near me and they no longer sell saltwater fish but the freshwater filtration setup they have is a sump style. One of the return lines came apart and a whole wall of tanks quit working and none of the employees on shift knew how to fix it or even how it worked. Instead of getting mad at the situation I stayed and fixed it for them.
i would love to go over n volunteer heck even teach em a things or two but things is wat paid employer going to take advice or being told wat to do from someone who is volunteer? i know i wouldnt let a customer tell me how to do my job and would you? lol just saying

Unread 08/13/2012, 01:00 PM   #267
dorky
Registered Member

btw i didnt realize this was my original post wow feel free to rant on lol

Unread 08/27/2012, 06:06 PM   #268
Carsonsig2012
Registered Member

the rub on petco is the department has a budget, guy has to sell fish, make $ to buy more fish, gear etc... I asked him how often he could just sell a $20 Oscar to a ding dong who had no clue.. he said multiple times a day... so as you said, case by case... none should have SW in my opinion though

Carsonsig2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2012, 01:30 AM   #269
41stpetcotulsa
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumPercula View Post
Here are some pics of the coral frag tank at a local Petco. Not all employees/stores neglect the needs of their animals. Most of the employees here are very knowledgable. A picture IS worth a thousand words...
wow, wish my petco had that setup!!

41stpetcotulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2012, 01:45 AM   #270
41stpetcotulsa
Moved On

we dont all suck, but some of us have reefers that are passionate about the hobby... i personally have gotten in trouble for trying to make our system better with better protein skimmers and lighting. we are a corporation, so are restricted on what we can do. I know some lfs around here that do way worse than us, we aren't focused on making money in that department, thats not payin our rent. That said we have had atleast 3 customers in the past month come in sayin they got a 5.5 gallon aquarium from a lfs that had a clownfish, condy and a bubble bar for air... a different lfs sold a guy i sold a biocube to and i told him to cycle the tank, a week later he comes in showin me pics of his tank, mixed coral tank that he spent over 1k on corals... in a 29 biocube that was running pc's. same lfs sold a lady some t5s and she came in looking for another fixture like it, went to her trunk and the box said on it for freshwater planted tanks, 6500k bulbs, so ur lfs can be worse than petco, they make their money from sellin to newbs... we make our money from dog food, our business doesn't depend on how much saltwater we sell. some stores have more passionate people in the dept, so dont base us on some bad stores or employees that dont know much

Unread 08/28/2012, 01:55 AM   #271
41stpetcotulsa
Moved On

that said, i got a beautiful torch coral from a new shipment we got in, about 6 heads for $60, the guy i buy from normally has a torch that is about same coloration, mine was a lil greener, he paid $60 for one head. i think our vendors dont know what they have, so sometimes u can find great deals... word of advice find out they arrival day and time and buy it from the bag. corporate thinks drip acclimation is more stressful so we are not allowed to drip, a 4 inch hippo tang for $40 is a steal, sometimes they will give a discount buyin from the bag, we do!!!

Unread 08/28/2012, 11:10 AM   #272
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

The one here in Miami, off of 107th ave near FIU is pretty good. They only sell juvenile tangs and sell anemones, and some shrimps. Nothing too fancy or too big. They have a large freshwater section but all the fish are pretty healthy for the most part. For having over a thousand fish coming in weekly or so, its pretty good to keep that many alive. Or maybe they are super stealthy and remove dead fish the moment they croak. I really have no complaints. Same applies to the Petsmart here.

FMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallons of frags... 30 gallon Deep Blue mixed reef ... 70 other tanks throughout south FL
Reeferz412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2012, 07:46 PM   #273
scsdukefan408
Registered Member

I was thinking the exact samething yesterday when i had to get salt from petco...was wishing they werent allowed to keep saltwater...they had a grand opening 3months ago and they had saltwater fish when they 1st opened(didnt let tanks cycle) like 4-5days later went in all the saltwater fish tanks were empty with insane blooms....so figure they more than likely died off

scsdukefan408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2012, 08:50 PM   #274
reret10
Registered Member

I have seen a LFS with a blue tang in a 2.5 gallon tank and well I just walked right out. A few days later it was gone. That is all the problems I have ever had with an LFS but I still dont shop there. Mine has a bunch of ten gallon and twenty gallon tanks worked together and it doesent even sell tangs.

Unread 08/29/2012, 11:56 AM   #275
usmc121581
Where am I?

We had a PETCO her that sold some one a fish for well below what they paid for it(mis named) once the manager found out and the couple come back in the manager asked if they could bring it back.

I wish I even had a PETCO to go to, all stores that have dealt with saltwater have closed up shop so the closest one to me is over an hour away.

Current Tank Info: I have a 180 gal mostly LPS corals, it contains 1 Val. Tang, 1 yellow striped clown fish, 3 percula clownfish, a blood shrimp, cleaner shrimp and a sand shifting goby, 5 pajama cardinals, 1 green chromis. Also a 75 gal. sump/fug.
usmc121581 is offline   Reply With Quote