Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/27/2011, 03:20 PM   #151
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

my personal experience:
Petco is Crashco.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2011, 07:10 PM   #152
Jspires688
Registered Member

The only lfs I have within 2 hours that I will even walk into is petco ya I agree they have some bad care but it's a lot better than the local lfs so if everyone boycotts petco What are us people who have nothing else supposed to do

Jspires688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2011, 09:36 PM   #153
stifler51
Registered Member

The only thing petco is good for is $1 gallon tank sales and good smelling dog shampoo (according to the wife on the shampoo part).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspires688 View Post
The only lfs I have within 2 hours that I will even walk into is petco ya I agree they have some bad care but it's a lot better than the local lfs so if everyone boycotts petco What are us people who have nothing else supposed to do
Id buy online anyday over petco. Im a firm believer in LFS as they put on a bunch of frag swaps and are active members in the local group, but id give my money to an online store that makes a business of selling coral/fish rather than a 'jack of all trades master of none' type of store.

Last edited by stifler51; 12/27/2011 at 09:42 PM.
stifler51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2011, 09:41 PM   #154
ironman187
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie9169 View Post
Chain stores such as Petco and Petsmart should not be able to sell live fish. Leave that to the specialty stores that we as hobbyist support locally.
I disagree, there are some very respectable petcos selling saltwater fish, two that I can think off of the bat, both sell corals, and both have fantastic looking tanks. One is a supporter of our local aquarium society, and has a dedicated stand alone frag tank as well as some huge display tanks, and tons of products your average petco does not have. One has a very small saltwater section (6 tanks) they recently shrank it down to that from 9 tanks. but the livestock has never looked healthier, somebody knows what they are doing there, conversely, there is a small LFS that my brother-in-law loves, they have two salt water tanks that look horrible, the livestock looks ok, but the tanks themselves are overcrowded with corals, hair algae, and aptaisia. Fact of the matter is, there are some VERY good Petcos out there

ironman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2011, 01:24 AM   #155
clown_fish
Registered Member

Petco

The local Petco near me isn't that bad, not everything is running off of the same system, however all of the fish are medicated before placement and inverts are running off of a separate sump. (so I'm told)

clown_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2011, 04:04 PM   #156
larrypoe
Registered Member.

We only have a Petland.......and a 2 store/local owned LFS "chain" within 2hrs of me in the first place...that sells SW

all sell corals and inverts (which i have no interest in anyway) and both SW and FW fish.....all ran in nothing more than declorinated tapwater/ declorinated w salt added.......

standerd store lights.....nothing else. Rock dumped in on a weekly basis in there "rock tank" right along with the starfish/nems or whatever the perm citizen of that tank is....usualy 200lb worth at a time...ish and swings down to almost nada before its added agian.

I prefer to buy from these places, albet waiting a few days after "delivery day".....i figure if they will live there, i wont have much trouble keeping it alive at home

larrypoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2011, 06:48 PM   #157
SkullV
They Got My Number

My local PetCo has really cleaned up their SW Fish/mobile invert system over the last 6 months. Unfortunately they do have one tank with a single PC bulb where they "think" they can successfully keep clams/corals until they are purchased. I was sneaky today and got a photo. They also keep anemone's in the regular invert tanks under standard store lighting.

Poor inverts:

Be cautious of those willing to share their "knowledge" but not their results.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2011, 10:56 PM   #158
ironman187
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
My local PetCo has really cleaned up their SW Fish/mobile invert system over the last 6 months. Unfortunately they do have one tank with a single PC bulb where they "think" they can successfully keep clams/corals until they are purchased. I was sneaky today and got a photo. They also keep anemone's in the regular invert tanks under standard store lighting.

Poor inverts:
You realize, of course, that the turn around on that stuff is pretty quick, it doesn't spend much time under that light, and on that small of a tank, that lighting is sufficient for keeping the corals alive for a short period of time, it's better than standard PC lighting

ironman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2011, 12:13 AM   #159
larrypoe
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman187 View Post
You realize, of course, that the turn around on that stuff is pretty quick, it doesn't spend much time under that light, and on that small of a tank, that lighting is sufficient for keeping the corals alive for a short period of time, it's better than standard PC lighting

theres a pair of .....white clown fish :/....at the local petland thats been there 6months......and a carpet nem thats been there over a year :/.....standerd store lights btw and nothing else. not that the lighting is an issue with the clowns but they get prob 100lbs of rock added and sold off weekly out of there tank. they also sell frags off of there parent corals (about the only corals they get sold as the others are pricey) that carpet nem is prob 10" if its an inch :/ btw

the other "2 store chain" has 2 starfish in there rock tank that sees several hundred pounds of rock added and sold weekly to there tank....and there perm citizens in that tank and not for sale...........these 2 stores accualy sell a bit of coral, although not much and most frags from there parent corals....it also has nems in w CUC and rock added weekly/sold out of there tank (i figure the inverts are rock freebys but idk for sure) this store accualy has extra lights on there corals.....but its standerd t8 4' shoplights (couldnt tell ya the kelvin rating though)

Unread 12/29/2011, 01:40 AM   #160
Tahoe69
Registered Member

personally i have never seen a petco that had good healthy live stock. Every know and then ill walk into on and then walk out with nothing not even dry good i would rather support someone who actually cares about the health of the fish and corals. Not only do i get fish and corals cheaper at my lfs they are ten times more healthy. I once saw a tang literally almost all white cover in ich with other fish still in the same tank and a sticker that said under observation. Now i know ich is a hard thing to combat but that is not the way to do it!!

Current Tank Info: 28g thunder dome
Tahoe69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2011, 09:09 AM   #161
kv2wr1
Registered Member

I think what it comes down to is only support a store that gives you excellent customer service and takes good care of the livestock whether it be a single petco or a mom & pop shop.

kv2wr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2011, 11:50 AM   #162
scionreefing
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv2wr1 View Post
I think what it comes down to is only support a store that gives you excellent customer service and takes good care of the livestock whether it be a single petco or a mom & pop shop.
I'll take that.

Raffle grabber

scionreefing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2011, 08:19 PM   #163
asim58
Registered Member

Have to agree it all comes down to the people who are working there. I've been to many horrible stores, chain stores and independent stores. These pics are from a petco by the way. Taken with a cell phone so the clarity is not so good but you get the point. Lighting is t-5ho, two 4ft bulbs over a what is basically a 33 long.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1407.jpg (74.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1408.jpg (72.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1409.jpg (76.0 KB, 70 views)
asim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2011, 09:11 PM   #164
scionreefing
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by asim58 View Post
Have to agree it all comes down to the people who are working there. I've been to many horrible stores, chain stores and independent stores. These pics are from a petco by the way. Taken with a cell phone so the clarity is not so good but you get the point. Lighting is t-5ho, two 4ft bulbs over a what is basically a 33 long.
Looks nice which petco is this from?

Raffle grabber

Unread 12/30/2011, 03:03 PM   #165
ezerasurfr
Moved On

If you believe your local Petco has poor care, report them to your local animal control office. These are living animals and have certain rights. Each franchise is responsible for who they hire and what they keep. If they have someone providing inadequate care, report them. Simple enough. If you walked into a petco and the ferrets were in a box without air holes, wouldnt you report them? So why not report them for inadequate housing of corals?

Just my opinion. It may help clean-up the Petco reputation by dissolving those SW locations that cannot provide care (due to hefty fines by animal control).

ezerasurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2011, 04:24 PM   #166
James77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezerasurfr View Post
If you believe your local Petco has poor care, report them to your local animal control office. These are living animals and have certain rights. Each franchise is responsible for who they hire and what they keep. If they have someone providing inadequate care, report them. Simple enough. If you walked into a petco and the ferrets were in a box without air holes, wouldnt you report them? So why not report them for inadequate housing of corals?
IMO corals are pretty far down the list of things that police should be consuming their time on. Corals cannot even feel anything, so they are not suffering. I hate to say it, but very few people would agree that fish have the rights of dogs and cats. Should they go after feeder fish as well? Earthworms or shiners that get impaled on fishing hooks at your local tackle shop?

I am not saying improper care of coral and fish is alright. But I would much rather very limited resources and attention be paid to dogs, cats, horses, birds that are higher up the evolutionary ladder and can sense pain and mistreatment.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater

Last edited by James77; 12/30/2011 at 04:30 PM.
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2011, 05:27 PM   #167
RubberFrog
Registered Member

^ I can just see someone dialing 911 to report a sick fish at petco.

RubberFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2011, 05:55 PM   #168
scionreefing
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberFrog View Post
^ I can just see someone dialing 911 to report a sick fish at petco.
Wow

Raffle grabber

Unread 12/30/2011, 06:17 PM   #169
topbottomfeeder
Registered Member

there are quite a few fish stores in my area that have fish with ammonia burn from uncycled tanks, it just sickens me that these self professed "fish lovers" choose profit over quality.

topbottomfeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2011, 06:33 PM   #170
ezerasurfr
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
IMO corals are pretty far down the list of things that police should be consuming their time on. Corals cannot even feel anything, so they are not suffering. I hate to say it, but very few people would agree that fish have the rights of dogs and cats. Should they go after feeder fish as well? Earthworms or shiners that get impaled on fishing hooks at your local tackle shop?

I am not saying improper care of coral and fish is alright. But I would much rather very limited resources and attention be paid to dogs, cats, horses, birds that are higher up the evolutionary ladder and can sense pain and mistreatment.
Its not like swat is going to go busting down the doors. It will be a simple fine through a thorough investigation (which is most likely required if the store's fish section is in disarray, what does the rest of it look like?).

It takes a simple phone call that you're out-right dismissing because there are other more important animals to worry about, right? I disagree completely. We have these offices in place for a reason, and a little control won't hurt anybody. So what's the worst that comes out of a quick phone call - animal control has a little more paperwork? Please... let's just take a second to really think about the consequences of a call to animal control and see if it will really add up to taking up a substantial amount of time that will in turn lead to more cats/dogs getting abused...

Unread 12/30/2011, 06:37 PM   #171
larrypoe
Registered Member.

Quote:

Just my opinion. It may help clean-up the Petco reputation by dissolving those SW locations that cannot provide care (due to hefty fines by animal control).

lol, would never make it past the dispatcher around here, let alone a court room.

it would go into file 13 right along with the UFO sighting and the call about the mean hunter/trapper tormenting the fuzzy woodland critters

Unread 12/30/2011, 06:56 PM   #172
James77
Registered Member

Quote:
Its not like swat is going to go busting down the doors. It will be a simple fine through a thorough investigation (which is most likely required if the store's fish section is in disarray, what does the rest of it look like?).
A simple fine and a thorough investigation....from our governments?

Give your local police departments animal control a call and report a thin fish, or a bleached anemone or coral. Then please report to us the reaction.

Quote:
It takes a simple phone call that you're out-right dismissing because there are other more important animals to worry about, right?
It is far more than a simple phone call. Officers have to go out and investigate all of these complaints. That takes time and alot of money to pay people. Pensions, benefits, vehicles.....if you start going after fish stores, where do we draw the line? It is far more expensive to implement than you think, and the fines will not cover it. Those fines will get fought by impressive lawyers, further bogging down a broken nearly bankrupt system.

Yes, there are MORE IMPORTANT animals than fish and coral, I hate to tell you. As far as suffering in a pet store, they could take the corals out and step on them and it would not be cruel since they can feel nothing. It might disgust you or I, but cats, dogs, horses, birds, etc are all alot higher in the eyes of the law.

Any thoughts on the shiners or eels in the bait shop that are skewered on barbed hooks, thrown into the water (without acclimation ), and allowed to be gobbled up? How about the countless fish that die shipping them into our hobby in the first place, those that rot on loading docks or perish in FedEx planes? Maybe the ignorant hobbyists that kill countless fish as well?

Quote:
Please... let's just take a second to really think about the consequences of a call to animal control and see if it will really add up to taking up a substantial amount of time that will in turn lead to more cats/dogs getting abused...
I don't need to really think about it. There are far more abused animals that are tortured and don't get the attention because of short staffed police departments and that is without throwing fish and coral in their job description. I DO consider fish to be far lower on my give-a-crap-o-meter than cats, dogs, farm stock, etc.

You have the ability to boycott or voice your displeasure with Petco or any of the far more numerous LFS that are even worse than the dreaded Petco. Stop shopping there, and let them know exactly why. They will not care if it is just you, but several dozen people do so and they will notice.

Last edited by James77; 12/30/2011 at 07:03 PM.
Unread 12/30/2011, 07:00 PM   #173
James77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topbottomfeeder View Post
there are quite a few fish stores in my area that have fish with ammonia burn from uncycled tanks, it just sickens me that these self professed "fish lovers" choose profit over quality.
It's the American way. There are far worse fates than a LFS, plenty of marine life is hauled out of the ocean and allowed to die and try in the sun for ornaments. But they will not get profit without your money. They want your money. If you feel that strongly about a store, then voice your opinion to them and take your business elsewhere if they do not do anything or brush you off. I have been the squeaky wheel plenty enough times with all sorts of companies to know that alot can get accomplished.

Unread 12/30/2011, 07:47 PM   #174
girlygears13
Registered Member

There are two Petco's in my area, one is an utter disaster, and the other is run by a really nice guy who knows his stuff and actually is a member of RC. You can't lump in every store together since it really comes down to individual employees and their managers. I have made it a habit to complain at the bad Petco as often as I can. I even offered to work there part time to make sure their animals got better care, alas, I wasn't hired

Current Tank Info: In the planning stages..
girlygears13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2011, 08:25 PM   #175
ezerasurfr
Moved On

Quote:

Give your local police departments animal control a call and report a thin fish, or a bleached anemone or coral. Then please report to us the reaction.
My local Petco is fine. It is the Milltown NJ Petco discussed on these and other forums before. Also, making a claim for animal control does not always require a follow-up. If there is something to be had in the investigation, I trust my government will do their job (most of the time).

Quote:
It is far more than a simple phone call. Officers have to go out and investigate all of these complaints. That takes time and alot of money to pay people. Pensions, benefits, vehicles.....if you start going after fish stores, where do we draw the line? It is far more expensive to implement than you think, and the fines will not cover it. Those fines will get fought by impressive lawyers, further bogging down a broken nearly bankrupt system.
For the person making the complaint, it is a simple phone call. It really sounds like you need a cause to champion - perhaps you can fix the "broken nearly bankrupt system". Why not, you seem to think you have all the answers?

Quote:
Yes, there are MORE IMPORTANT animals than fish and coral, I hate to tell you. As far as suffering in a pet store, they could take the corals out and step on them and it would not be cruel since they can feel nothing. It might disgust you or I, but cats, dogs, horses, birds, etc are all alot higher in the eyes of the law.
I quite understand there are more important animals out there. This does not mean ALL animals don't deserve justice, or the chance to live. If someone (especially a store supposedly promoting animal welfare) is not giving proper care, there are avenues for the public to utilize to get them to cooperate. Americans pay taxes for these systems - who are you telling them not to use them because YOU believe those systems are already too busy and broken.

Quote:
Any thoughts on the shiners or eels in the bait shop that are skewered on barbed hooks, thrown into the water (without acclimation ), and allowed to be gobbled up? How about the countless fish that die shipping them into our hobby in the first place, those that rot on loading docks or perish in FedEx planes? Maybe the ignorant hobbyists that kill countless fish as well?
Where there is abuse investigated and found guilty, justice is usually not far behind. There are many cases of home abuse regarding fish and reef tanks. A simple Google search can provide you with hours of reading. You can learn all about it. When a store is responsible for their livestock, and do not provide adequate care - IMO a call should be made to have an investigation take place. You may not believe this, but I certainly do. There is a system in place in America for a reason.

Quote:
I don't need to really think about it. There are far more abused animals that are tortured and don't get the attention because of short staffed police departments and that is without throwing fish and coral in their job description. I DO consider fish to be far lower on my give-a-crap-o-meter than cats, dogs, farm stock, etc.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm really glad I do get to think about things. It makes me objective and gives me the insight to research things I am not fully aware of. Funny thing is, I also consider fish far lower on my "give-a-crap-o-meter" than domesticated animals as well. But I also believe that ALL animals have rights - even the lowest of the low and the ones that aren't so cute...

Quote:
You have the ability to boycott or voice your displeasure with Petco or any of the far more numerous LFS that are even worse than the dreaded Petco. Stop shopping there, and let them know exactly why. They will not care if it is just you, but several dozen people do so and they will notice.
I would believe this would be the best way to object if it were their POLICY to run their SW systems the way they do. However, this is not what people are complaining about, or posting photos of. Petco (and I'm sure many other places) are not providing the proper care for their livestock - this doesnt need to be boycotted - it NEEDS to be reported.

Feel free to reply again, but I am done with this discussion with you. You can have your opinion and I can have mine. All I can offer to everyone else (besides this probably aggravating banter) is to use the methods available to you to stop improper care of the local livestock in your area. Don't do nothing.