Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/01/2014, 07:29 PM   #1
87ford
Registered Member

Hob overflow and wavemaker

So thinking of getting a wavemaker for my 150 but I have a hob overflow it's at the left of the tank I would like to be able to put it in the middle but the tank brace is there my thoughts are to cut a notch on the hanging part that goes over and into the tank and just hang it over the brace and then put the box under neath I have the eshopps 1200 has anyone had issues with wavemaker a and hob overflows noise etc placements I still am debating lol but it's a thought I prob will buy a second one just incase I mess up the one I have before I try it lol

Thanks
Tom

87ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2014, 10:20 PM   #2
uncleof6
Registered Member

I have seen and had (personal testing only) issues with eshopps overflows in general, before adding additional issues to them ...

If the water level varies, with any overflow system, the flow over the weir will vary, and the drain performance will vary. I discourage the use of wavemakers in any system, as they accomplish little if anything, that actually benefits the system. It is all show and no go...

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2014, 11:31 AM   #3
87ford
Registered Member

Ok thanks for the input I actually like the eshopps haven't had any problems with them I had to modify a little by extending the plastic tube to be higher to reduce gurgling but other than that it's nice not having to have to hook up a air line to it and in the event of a power out I don't have to worry if the air pump will turn back on etc and find 20 gallons of water on floor at least the u tube design stays primed

Thanks
Tom

87ford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, hob, hob overflow, overflow, wavemaker