Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/21/2017, 02:05 PM   #1
Papermonkeys
Registered Member

Yellow Clown Goby Stomach Issue?

Hey,

I think about 2 months ago I got a yellow clown goby from my LFS (although it really looks orange to me). and his stomach area was arched up I just assumed it's because he was on the shyer side of the fish he was being kept with.

My tank is about 5 or 6 months old. I a pair of small clowns a diamond goby and just added a leopard wrasse that hasn't shown himself yet (although I'm pretty sure I know where he's sleeping as the sand is pulsing sometimes in one spot). I keep my SG 1.025-1.026 measured with a refractometer that I calibrate with fluid every time I use it. I haven't QT any of the fish I've added (I know terrible on me.)
I tested 3 days ago with RedSea kit
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10
dKH: 7.75 (a little low I think?)
Calcium: 500 (API kit using redsea vials) seems a little high?

He eats fine, I feed the tank usually 1/3 frozen cub mysis 1/3 frozen cube of Spirulina brine shrimp (both hikari brand) daily although it seems he prefers the mysis. Sometimes target feed my corals coralific delite (1 or 2x a week). He's pretty active, swims around sometimes but usually perched up on the glass or my candycane frag.

I'm pretty new to SW but have kept freshwater for years. I looked at some pictures of yellow clown goby's online and for the most part they don't have the real inset stomachs. Although the ones at 2 of my LFS seem to be similar shaped. I'm thinking he either just needs to eat even more (maybe purchase one of those containers that hangs in the tank and has holes in to to exchange water and use it to feed him specifically.) Or possibly he's got some sort of stomach worm/parasite eating up some of his consumed food? Again I've had him for about 2 months and he hasn't put on much mass.

Anyways here are some pictures let me know if there are other angles you want me to try and take (only have my cellphone camera) or if there is other info you wish for me to provide.
Thanks in advance!

Papermonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 04:44 AM   #2
ginpang
Registered Member

Okinawaes aren’t supposed to be that colour ...
Maybe look up this : Oncorhynchus novirhabdovirus the I-b strain common on fish from japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ginpang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 07:52 AM   #3
homer1475
Registered Member

I had a citron clown goby for nearly 2 years. Not sure on their lifespan(think its short like 3 or 4 years), but mine was an adult when I purchased him.

Pretty sure he just died of old age, but toward the end of his life(like the last few months), no matter how much he ate, his stomach looked just like yours.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 03:01 AM   #4
Papermonkeys
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll check that out. I'm also gonna try some other foods to see if he goes crazy for anything

Unread 11/23/2017, 07:50 AM   #5
JustinM
Registered Member

Have you ever seen white stringy poop? He looks very pinched. It’s odd that he’s eating and not gaining weight unless there may be internal parasites.

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2017, 02:06 PM   #6
Papermonkeys
Registered Member

No white stringy poo. He just seems to be really picky. I've picked up some cyclops and he's been looking a bit better. He eats, the other fish just eat faster haha