Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2017, 01:52 PM   #76
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk. View Post
Much appreciated. I was looking at the sicce 1.5 vs 2.0. Can the 2.0 be throttled back enough to not blow everything around but also eliminate the need for additional powerheads? Or is it more the location of the tank outflow pipes that may require additional powerheads?
I am not sure, it would be nice if the 2.0 was enough to make a power head unnecessary, but I have not seen anyone with a 2.0 in a lagoon 25 yet. Maybe someone else has tried it and will chime in.

twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 02:19 PM   #77
twitchy
Registered Member

Another update on the tank, took a while, but finally plumbed the BRS mini reactor.
I have a mj1200 in the back chamber, reduced down to 1/4" RO line which is run under the stand to the reactor. I printed some air line holders that hold the in/out lines as well as the ATO line.

I got an aqualifter for the auto top off, and made a pre-filter out of a waterweld canister, stuffed with filter floss so I can dose kalk in the ATO water.

Also picked up a red and green blasto frag placement recommendations? and some additional clean up crew members

Unread 08/06/2017, 08:03 AM   #78
Zoahoarder
Registered Member

Looking good man. Sand bed should be perfect for that blasto. You'll be able to move it up a lil on your rock scape if you want it there.

Zoahoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2017, 07:27 PM   #79
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk. View Post
Much appreciated. I was looking at the sicce 1.5 vs 2.0. Can the 2.0 be throttled back enough to not blow everything around but also eliminate the need for additional powerheads? Or is it more the location of the tank outflow pipes that may require additional powerheads?
Would a 2.0 even fit? My 1.5 was a bit tight, and ideally you don't want the pump in physical contact with the walls. Also, if you're going to upsize the pump make sure your hose connections are tight. Easy to blow the hose off the fitting, particularly those black elbows on the IM fusion tanks.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2017, 09:17 PM   #80
twitchy
Registered Member

Just uploaded the filter floss holder .stl file to thingiverse if anyone else wants it. Under "IM Lagoon 25 filter floss holder"

Will hopefully grab some updated pictures of the tank and the sprouting mangroves tomorrow when the lights are on

Unread 10/28/2017, 08:53 AM   #81
RobSpeed13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Would a 2.0 even fit? My 1.5 was a bit tight, and ideally you don't want the pump in physical contact with the walls. Also, if you're going to upsize the pump make sure your hose connections are tight. Easy to blow the hose off the fitting, particularly those black elbows on the IM fusion tanks.
a 2.0 wouldn't fit. i have a 1.0 and was looking to upgrade to the 2.0 as i have nothing but sps in my IM20. was going to get a 1.5 but have since decided im going to buy a 2.0 and trim the sides enough for it to fit in the back chamber. if it wasnt for the glass behind the acrylic it would fit. A other thing is i used to use spin streams on mine but have since taken them off in general. just keep the hoses flush with the acrylic wall and blasting the 1.0 at full blast out of the hoses, combined with my Eflux 660gphx2 pumps i get a great amount of flow inside the tank, but want more from my return lol.

on a other note great build thread, everything looks good. also if later on you decide the prime is creating some shadowing just add a T5 retrofit kit and you should be able to get rid of those shadows with out a doubt.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22766729_1069669686502762_2129543894_o(1).jpg (40.3 KB, 82 views)
RobSpeed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 06:21 AM   #82
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSpeed13 View Post
a 2.0 wouldn't fit. i have a 1.0 and was looking to upgrade to the 2.0 as i have nothing but sps in my IM20. was going to get a 1.5 but have since decided im going to buy a 2.0 and trim the sides enough for it to fit in the back chamber. if it wasnt for the glass behind the acrylic it would fit. A other thing is i used to use spin streams on mine but have since taken them off in general. just keep the hoses flush with the acrylic wall and blasting the 1.0 at full blast out of the hoses, combined with my Eflux 660gphx2 pumps i get a great amount of flow inside the tank, but want more from my return lol.

on a other note great build thread, everything looks good. also if later on you decide the prime is creating some shadowing just add a T5 retrofit kit and you should be able to get rid of those shadows with out a doubt.
Thanks,
Do you know for sure the 2.0 would fit if the plastic is trimmed? If it does I would definitely be interested in that.
Does running the returns without nozzles create more random flow? Or did you just do it for less flow restriction?

Unread 11/15/2017, 01:57 AM   #83
Reefstar075
Registered Member

Awesome tank so far! I am currently setting up my IM 25 Lagoon, just finishing building my own stand right now then I can finally set it up after having the tank for over 2.5 weeks already. Watching other people's builds helps me be patient and do stuff right ha

Reefstar075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2017, 12:32 AM   #84
snowlynx
Registered Member

Is anyone using the media caddy for Lagoon 25?
Do you have any overflowing issues using polyfill at the top?

I hope it works out like this, quicker to replace the polyfil

Caddy 1
Top Poly fill
Rest is Matrix

Caddy 2
Top polyfil
Chemi Blue
less Matrix

On the return nozzles, do you allow water line to go above it?
I am trying to avoid waterfall noise, keep as quiet as possible.

snowlynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2017, 08:07 AM   #85
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlynx View Post

Caddy 1
Top Poly fill
Rest is Matrix

Caddy 2
Top polyfil
Chemi Blue
less Matrix

I don't use a Media caddy, I just run the Pollyfil and a media reactor. Been thinking about designing a hybrid floss holder/cady with a second chamber underneath for purigen, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

If I let the pollyfil sit in the holder for too long it does clog up, but the water just overflows over the back lip of the holder, which is much lower than the wall of the tank. It is about the same size and works similar to the filter socks that come with the tank, so there are no flooding issues.

The water level in the tank will be above the return nozzels, and the tank is pretty quiet. Only real noise comes from the stock pump which isn't all that great, but it's an easy fix.

Unread 11/17/2017, 10:58 AM   #86
snowlynx
Registered Member

Thanks Twitchy

What kind of noise for IM pump and what fix?

I had some ebay bucks so went with the
IM media caddy

I figure you build yourself, costs about the same

Unread 11/17/2017, 02:06 PM   #87
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Twitchy

What kind of noise for IM pump and what fix?

I had some ebay bucks so went with the
IM media caddy

I figure you build yourself, costs about the same
Just a pump hum kinda noise, it's not any louder than an aquaclear HOB filter. I know I will be picking up a sicce 1.5, mainly for increased flow, but the noise reduction will be an nice bonus.

Unread 11/17/2017, 02:30 PM   #88
snowlynx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
Just a pump hum kinda noise, it's not any louder than an aquaclear HOB filter. I know I will be picking up a sicce 1.5, mainly for increased flow, but the noise reduction will be an nice bonus.

Unread 11/20/2017, 04:44 PM   #89
snowlynx
Registered Member

Got mine setup. Stock pump is Super Ridicously Loud!

Is it the acrylic panels resonating like a drum?
Motor vibration traveling through the main panel
and baffels.

I just ordered the oxo silicon drying mat to give it a try, put
under the pump.

I am seeing mixed reviews for sicce pump too, some say
silent others not so.

Unread 11/22/2017, 05:05 AM   #90
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Got mine setup. Stock pump is Super Ridicously Loud!

Is it the acrylic panels resonating like a drum?
Motor vibration traveling through the main panel
and baffels.

I just ordered the oxo silicon drying mat to give it a try, put
under the pump.

I am seeing mixed reviews for sicce pump too, some say
silent others not so.
I had to move my pump around a little bit so it wasn't touching the black acrylic back panel. My pump just makes a mechanical hum, not that annoying vibrating noise anymore, maybe I'm just lucky

Unread 11/27/2017, 10:35 PM   #91
sleepingdeep
Registered Member

Hey twitchy, love the build and am super excited to see how your tank progresses. I just pulled the trigger and got a 25 lagoon on black friday, and picked up a sicce 1.5 for the return. Did you ever post your filter floss caddie to thingiverse, im super interested in 2 of them, but in all honesty, 3d printing is all new to me... so not really sure where to start.

sleepingdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2017, 06:33 AM   #92
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingdeep View Post
Hey twitchy, love the build and am super excited to see how your tank progresses. I just pulled the trigger and got a 25 lagoon on black friday, and picked up a sicce 1.5 for the return. Did you ever post your filter floss caddie to thingiverse, im super interested in 2 of them, but in all honesty, 3d printing is all new to me... so not really sure where to start.
Thanks, you'll love the tank once you get it set up.
I did end up posting the floss holder .stl, just search "lagoon 25" on thingiverse and it should be one of the only things that pops up. Do you have a printer? It's pretty easy once you get everything dialed in, I'd be happy to answer any questions

Unread 11/28/2017, 09:59 AM   #93
sleepingdeep
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
Thanks, you'll love the tank once you get it set up.
I did end up posting the floss holder .stl, just search "lagoon 25" on thingiverse and it should be one of the only things that pops up. Do you have a printer? It's pretty easy once you get everything dialed in, I'd be happy to answer any questions
I actually don't have a printer. I know i can pay to have it printed on thingiverse, but id rather pay a fellow reefer if you're up to. Let me know if its something you'd like to do, but feel free to pass as well.

sleepingdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2017, 10:11 AM   #94
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingdeep View Post
I actually don't have a printer. I know i can pay to have it printed on thingiverse, but id rather pay a fellow reefer if you're up to. Let me know if its something you'd like to do, but feel free to pass as well.
Sure, I'd be down to help you out. My printer isn't the highest quality, but it gets the job done.

Unread 11/29/2017, 05:55 PM   #95
LuizW13
Registered Member

Quote:

Caddy 1
Top Poly fill
Rest is Matrix

Caddy 2
Top polyfil
Chemi Blue
less Matrix

I don't have a caddy but i do use a filter pad in mine. I have two slim towers of live rock in both my overflows, and the filter pad sitting on top. No flow restrictions at all.

LuizW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2017, 02:04 PM   #96
kaiimac
Registered Member

Looking good! I am curious about your stand. I decided to go with the IM 20 because I couldn't find a stand that would fit the 25, but I haven't opened the box yet. Is this what you bought and then purchased a countertop for it? I can't figure out how the IKEA system works.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80265398/

kaiimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2017, 07:41 PM   #97
maddmaxx
Registered Member

nice set up

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2017, 07:43 PM   #98
maddmaxx
Registered Member

shweet 2.5g pico!!

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2017, 07:48 PM   #99
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiimac View Post
Looking good! I am curious about your stand. I decided to go with the IM 20 because I couldn't find a stand that would fit the 25, but I haven't opened the box yet. Is this what you bought and then purchased a countertop for it? I can't figure out how the IKEA system works.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80265398/
I bought the 24*24*30" (L*W*H) sektion cabinet, and used a second cabinet door as the countertop, I just had to cut 6" off the backside.

Unread 11/30/2017, 07:50 PM   #100
twitchy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
shweet 2.5g pico!!
Thanks, that was a fun little tank, introduced me to the AIO tank style