Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/06/2007, 06:33 PM   #26
SWpsycho
Registered Member

Clever....

SWpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2007, 07:31 PM   #27
deuce6371
Premium Member

I like it. Very simple. I will try it after my 75 fuge is setup.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal., Reeflo Orca skimmer, ASD calcium reactor,3 x 400 watt MH,Basement equipment, sump, refugium and frag tank
deuce6371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2007, 09:28 PM   #28
Lubu
Moved On

Genius. Thank you!

Lubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2007, 12:06 PM   #29
meco65
Registered Member

Those you could transport in a Styrofoam minnow bucket, in water to help keep the temp stable for the pods.

meco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2007, 05:20 PM   #30
t0mmyb0y
Registered Member

great idea...thanks! made a couple already...

Unread 06/19/2007, 06:55 PM   #31
MarkS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefForBrains
Now EVERYONE will have a roll minus 2 ft cut out of it.

We are all too cheap to throw anything away for fear it will come in handy for the next build. Thia is how fish rooms happen.
So true...

MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2012, 10:31 AM   #32
bemenaker
Registered Member

When going to Lowes and HD to look for this, don't just look in the gutter section. Both stores near me carry it, but it's stocked with the replacement windows screen. It's not in the gutter section at all. Makes little sense but whatev's

bemenaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2012, 12:31 PM   #33
Liexicof15
Registered Member

great idea! stolen.

Liexicof15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2018, 08:57 PM   #34
Zephrant
Premium Member

At the time of this writing, the term "Pod Hotel" has a pending trademark application by SB Reef lights: https://www.trademarks411.com/marks/87700079-pod-hotel. Additionally, I’ve been told by the filer that “Pod Condo”. Or anything similar will infringe on that Trademark.

Additionally, SB Reef claims they have a patent on the idea of a pod hotel/condo, but I’ve seen no evidence of a patent yet, all searches come up empty. If they did apply, it would likely take 3-5 years to issue, and there would be a chance to claim “prior art”.

I received a C&D letter from Mike at SBReefs asking me to stop selling my Pod Condo, or face legal repercussions. He has since repeated that threat twice, in writing, so he may be serious. My legal counsel claims that I’m on solid ground, so I’m continuing to sell my design.

I wanted to give you a heads up though. If the patent is granted, it may be a violation to make these, even at home as a DIY, and the use of “Pod Hotel” may infringe the Trademark application.

Zephrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 06:11 AM   #35
lapin
Registered Member

Funny. In SE Asia they have been using "hapa" nets for a very long time. These are net enclosures to keep fish fry from being eaten while they grow. These are placed in larger water filled tanks or fields. Maybe the acrylic box with layers in an aquarium makes this different? Kinda like done on a computer makes it different than on a sheet of paper?

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 08:13 PM   #36
Kmack0415
Registered Member

I'd be shocked if they had any legal standing to go after someone that was building one of these for home use that wasn't being resold.

Kmack0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 06:24 AM   #37
salty joe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephrant View Post

I received a C&D letter from Mike at SBReefs asking me to stop selling my Pod Condo, or face legal repercussions. He has since repeated that threat twice, in writing, so he may be serious. My legal counsel claims that I’m on solid ground, so I’m continuing to sell my design.

I wanted to give you a heads up though. If the patent is granted, it may be a violation to make these, even at home as a DIY, and the use of “Pod Hotel” may infringe the Trademark application.
IMO, anybody who is serious doesn't issue THREE C&D letters. (I really REALLY mean it this time!) They issue ONE C&D letter and if you don't C&D, go straight to legal action. Sounds like BS to me.

Unread 07/18/2018, 04:43 PM   #38
saveafish
Registered Member

C&D letters come from the attorney and is sent certified mail. You get only (1) the next letter you sign for is the suit filing. I smell dung here. Ask for his attorney so your attorney may file for a view of findings. That will shut him up or make it real.
I know this from experience. Been there done it.

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 09:12 AM   #39
gargoylenest
Registered Member

just for fun I checked his website and this guys sell copied product like (ie) a rebranded icecap salinity pen...

gargoylenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 10:01 PM   #40
Zephrant
Premium Member

To clarify, I received an emailed C&D request from the owner of SBReef, not an official letter from an attorney. The other threats were on FB, which I have screen shots of.

Thanks for the tips all, I appreciate it.

Zephrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 10:13 PM   #41
saveafish
Registered Member

Yeah, if its just e-mail and Facebook. No worries. I'd just laugh it off. Block him on Facebook, LOL and mark his e-mails as spam.
Just a FIY, his lights come from Alibaba Same plant that makes black boxes. You can order to your specs. Google that site and you'll find his lights.

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 05:24 AM   #42
EMeyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephrant View Post
If the patent is granted, it may be a violation to make these, even at home as a DIY, and the use of “Pod Hotel” may infringe the Trademark application.
To be clear, Patent laws don't apply to DIY stuff done in your home as a hobby. They specifically apply to selling products or services for a fee.

I agree with everything said above about C&D letters. As soon as he sent his second one you knew it wasnt serious.

EMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote