Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/17/2018, 05:24 PM   #1
Maffuster
Registered Member

Back to the hobby after a ~10 year absense

Just wondering if there have been any radical shifts since I left the hobby ~10-13 years ago.

DSBs were considered by many to be one of the best ways to go, and for lighting, MH was king (with T5 pulling up the rear).

From what I've read, T5 + LED seems to be the silver standard with MH (and all its pros and cons) still holding the gold standard. Is it possible to run an LED only setup with lps & sps?

Are people still starting tanks with DSBs, or has the hobby moved onto other filtering techniques?

Any other big changes that I'm missing?

Thinking of starting a new 125G reef. Talk me out of it.

Maffuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2018, 06:18 PM   #2
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffuster View Post
Just wondering if there have been any radical shifts since I left the hobby ~10-13 years ago.

DSBs were considered by many to be one of the best ways to go, and for lighting, MH was king (with T5 pulling up the rear).

From what I've read, T5 + LED seems to be the silver standard with MH (and all its pros and cons) still holding the gold standard. Is it possible to run an LED only setup with lps & sps?

Are people still starting tanks with DSBs, or has the hobby moved onto other filtering techniques?

Any other big changes that I'm missing?

Thinking of starting a new 125G reef. Talk me out of it.
IMO LED is the way to go now, as they can support anything you put in the tank- SPS, etc, if you get the right kind. DSBs are still done but i believe it's more of a preference than the standard. I think most people nowadays go with a bit more of a shallower sand bed and let their sump/skimmer do the filtration. I'm not going to try to talk you out of putting in a system, I'm all for it!

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2018, 09:57 AM   #3
Icewing726
Registered Member

I started up after about 10 years as well, more like 15. This time I had the money to do it right, but that's what I would warn you on is the cost of everything today. I do enjoy it though, surprised no ones cured ich yet, and really happy with the LEDs I have from Current USA (Marine ic orbit pro). But with that being said I have a FOWLR with some simple zoa's and mushrooms for color.

You may need different LED's for your coral but I have seen a store that's very reputable running their frag tanks on nothing but LEDs.

Icewing726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 06:20 AM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I run a DSB of 6" screened in the middle at 3" above a 1" plenum area. I create a large negative pressure and allow the water to "fall" through the DSB where in addition to LR, it is cleaned by the undisturbed micros in the lower half of the DSB. Definitely not the standard but successful with this method for more than 25 years so no changes. I have a skimmer and still use my old aquaclear HOB's 1 for the carbon bag, and 1 for the GFO.

Personally, if I had the right equipment, I would go with a sump. If I ever change my tank, I will do this.

Where I did change was lighting. Gone are the expensive (and in MH case hot) and replaced with LED. I do all types of corals with these including SPS and clams. I went with Chinese black box as the price was great and I don't need the special effects, just a blue and white channel and a timer. Many say they are cheap and won't grow corals.

I have more than 60 corals which expand a ton each day. They look happy to me and they have had this light formore than 2 years now, you would figure that if they did not work I would have seen it by now.....good luck.....you don't need to spend a fortune.....

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 07:29 AM   #5
nereefpat
Registered Member

Almost no one uses a deep sand band in the display tank. It takes up room and is eye-catching for the wrong reasons.

Remote deep sand beds are still used by some. They still work as they always have for reducing nitrates.

That said, most people use macro or turf algae systems in their sumps for nutrient removal. Carbon dosing (vinegar, vodka, etc) is also really popular for dropping nitrates and phosphates.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2018, 09:09 AM   #6
Conchman
Registered Member

Led’s For me. I run a DSB in the fuge. Just had to move the tank, and had to remove all sand in the DT (rimless). 4 weeks, nitrates did not even move. Figure it was because of the DSB. Welcome back, good luck.

Conchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 01:51 PM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

You'll also see more people using controllers (I still don't)and you'll hear about vodka dosing, NoPox, and fluconazole. All worth looking up, relative to the hobby. Live rock has gotten scarcer. Ceramic-coated aluminum sponge is one substitute but I remain skeptical and still prefer conditioned limestone, and best of all, rock from somebody else's breakdown; there are no new pests I can think of. Certain stony coral is now off limits. They've gotten some new species of fish to breed in captivity. There've been a LOT of parasites including flukes, flatworms, and, most popular, ich, and qt is definitely the way to go these days.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote