Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2019, 05:12 PM   #1
reefslugs
Registered Member

All actinic lighting?

I was wanting to know if any of you are running all actinic lights on their tank. I see that Jason Fox says he only runs actinic lighting on his tanks. If you are running this light spectrum. What do you think? How are the corals colors and growth?

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 200g mixed reef, 65g sump/fugium, 4 Viporspectra LED's, Tunze 2105 x 2 with controller, Simplicity return pump & skimmer, Octopus calcium reactor, lots of love.
reefslugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2019, 05:17 PM   #2
jeremevans
Registered Member

I thought JF runs ReefBrite LEDs, some MH and actinics. I've never been to his place, but the Reef Builders episode there shows off and discussed some of that.

I think you run blues only without any issues, but I've never tried. The"whites" are more for balancing color for humans... And maybe growing algae?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeremevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2019, 05:37 PM   #3
Bpb
Registered Member

I think this depends entirely on what you’re growing. I have maybe 5 things that look better under straight blue lighting. The several dozen other specimens just turn dark blue like the rocks and have zero pop even under blue LEDs. They show their best color under 10-14k lighting. You CAN run all blues, but it’ll severely limit what will look good in your tank. If all you want are tenuis, lps, and zoas, it’ll look awesome. If you want a wide assortment of sps, it’s advisable to run some full spectrum lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2019, 10:08 PM   #4
jtietz
Registered Member

I run kessil a 350 tune blue only on blue, and ati coral plus and aqua blue specials.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jtietz is offline   Reply With Quote