Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/07/2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Tank_Obsessed
Registered Member

Feeding corals?

Anybody have an opinion on feeding corals shrimp? I was feeding my tank and found that they love it, particularly te ric, acans, and hairy mushrooms. They seem to have grown quite a bit since I started. Good or bad? Any idea how big rics or hairy mushrooms get before they split?

55 gallon: perculas, yellow tang, cleaner shrimp, arrow crab, mushroom corals (ricordea, hairy, purple, green, & red), pulsing xenias, hermit crabs, turbo snail, red montipora caps, & feather dusters.

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon: 2 perculas, 1 yellow tang, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 arrow crab, mushroom corals (ricordea, hairy, blue, purple, green, & red), pulsing xenias, hermit crabs, 1 turbo snail, 2 red candy montipora caps, and a bunch of feather dusters.
Tank_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Zobp
Registered Member

I do the same as well with mine, but I only feed my acans. Once a week is a good amount. I have 2 hairy mushrooms that are about 6 inches across and have yet to split. It really varies tbh.

Zobp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Tank_Obsessed
Registered Member

Thanks. Do you feed everyone else as they just don't eat or you don't feed them at all. I've noticed that my hairs eat once a week or sometimes less the rics will eat a lot though.

55 gallon: perculas, yellow tang, cleaner shrimp, arrow crab, mushroom corals (ricordea, hairy, purple, green, & red), pulsing xenias, hermit crabs, turbo snail, red montipora caps, & feather dusters.

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon: 2 perculas, 1 yellow tang, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 arrow crab, mushroom corals (ricordea, hairy, blue, purple, green, & red), pulsing xenias, hermit crabs, 1 turbo snail, 2 red candy montipora caps, and a bunch of feather dusters.
Tank_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Zobp
Registered Member

I do it first thing in the morning so my fish don't pull it out so, the coral has chance to get a hold of it.

Have to be careful about over feeding, if you are not aware of how much waste you are creating you can cause other issues down the road.

Zobp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 02:51 PM   #5
cloak
Moved On

I used to feed a wide variety of corals small pieces of bay shrimp I would get at the local supermarket. They loved it. The fish, the ornamental shrimps, the hermits, the nassarius snails etc would get there fair share as well. No problem.
As far as splitting goes, I think it just depends on the coral in question.

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote