Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/26/2007, 04:55 AM   #76
invincible569
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clownnrnd
Yes, the ACLS looks much cleaner inside than a magnetic unit. I've heard all new units will come w/ electronic ballasts whether they use the ACLS controller or not.

I love my fixture. I think it lights my 30" F>B tank very well but I payed well over 2k for it and now it looks like a DIY project w/ the IC's leads coming out of the top of it. I tried to use the Sfigiloi pig tails coming from the fixture but the IC's would'nt fire the bulb on the farthest end of the fixture. I'm assuming this must of been becouse there was too much wire between the ballast and the mogul socket.

Right now I'm wondering where my warranty lies??

Chad
I hear what your saying. You pay more money to get the best and not have to worry about anything for many yrs. The other problem now is the value of the IC modified unit. As for your warranty, talk to the manufacturer and let them know what is going on especially since its original parts are non Sfiligoi now. If they are a company with superior service standards, they would make this right for you & David.

invincible569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2007, 10:00 AM   #77
Fliger
Registered Member

Thanks guys for all the input. Right now I'll sit tight and wait for the fuses. I'm a little unsure of what it will do - since I've already blown one of theirs, and several others. Chad's experience makes me worry a bit, I will definitely let you all know how it turns out. Edward, I agree - their service standards will show based on what they do. Its already forced me to spend quite a bit of my time & extra money that I didn't have to spend, not including having to back out of my Elos sale and my buddy had to take a hit since he had to buy last minute.

We'll see if Sfiligoi steps up like most other high end Euro companies. But right now I'm in my third week with no replacement fuses ....

LOL Bill - how come you can hound me for pix and all we get is pix of your Porsche and your ... um ... toys ... Seriously, I love the Ca Rx, I've run some water thru it, it is really nice. I like single Eheim pump running the whole thing. You gonna run yours internally or externally?

When life hands you lemons, add vodka!

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Fliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2007, 10:50 AM   #78
bogg
Registered Member

Wow that does blow, well hopefully everything will work out for the best, does'nt Jesse have the bigger Elos light in the works?. LOL, I'd like to hang another planet next to mine LMK.

Current Tank Info: Elos 120xl, 2 planet 2's, KZs, wavy sea/Tunze
bogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2007, 11:58 AM   #79
Nuuze
Registered Member

It would be sweet if it's possible to buy the internals to upgrade a 150w Planet II to 250w!

Nuuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2007, 01:08 PM   #80
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Guys,
last month I order Sfiligoi system,but i order with out Mh ballast only T-5's. I will be using my Ice cap-400w ballasts.
I was in between Giessman and Sfilgoi and i went with Italians)
I really like Sfiligoi reflectors,looks similar to Luminarcs.
David, do you think i might the same problems?

mike

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2007, 01:45 PM   #81
Nuuze
Registered Member

I think the wiring is a bit different with the magnetic ballasts fixture MSHUR. If you did not get any MH ballasts it should be like my fixture minus the ACLS. Here's what clownnrnd said...those step up ballasts sure sound complicated.

Quote:
Originally posted by clownnrnd
wow David I saw the blown fuses and knew exactly what fixture you had bought .

My fuse nightmare started in Nov.06. I don't know how many fuses I eventually blew. I'd buy them half dozen at a time. Will from AO just bought me 3-400w IC's to replace all of my magnetic MH ballasts.

Sfigiloi told me my problem was due to a bad capacitor. They sent me a new capacitor and I switched the one out in question and it blew the fuse a couple days later.

Nuuze- if you have the ACLS I think you have the electronic ballasts. I'm not sure how they work or how they are configured or for that matter if they run off 110v or 220v.

I just spent 3 nights after work last week changing my MH ballasts. My system is a 400w (???) system. The box/boxs that are remote house step up transformers that take our 110v up to 220v needed for the ballasts. They are also used as a junction box for the T-5's and moonlights. So power comes into the fixture for the mh's and goes to the capacitors,ingnitors,ballastss and mogul sockets. My system was a 400w system where they took 1-250w ballast and another 70w ballast and depending on how the systems wiring went through a jumper cable dictated at what wattage the fixture was run. Basically I could run either 400w bulbs or 250w bulbs simply by changing one jumper wire.

So David, If you take the cover off. All of the inner workings are sandwiched between the reflectors. My system had 3-250w ballast and 3-70w (220v) ballasts for the mh's and 2-step up transformers for the T-5's sandwiched between the MH reflectors. Then of course there is all the stuff you can see from the end w/ the panel removed (capacitors,ignitors and T-5 ballasts).

One last thing is I thought I had heard it was not recommended to overdrive the end caps for the T-5's. Did'nt know if you were thinking of running IC's or not.

David YHPM

Chad

Unread 06/26/2007, 01:48 PM   #82
ReefDoctorMicromussas
Moved On

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
Wow David,

I had no Idea you were a member of the big tank club LOL Its looking really nice... I LOVE tile floors

ReefDoctorMicromussas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2007, 04:08 PM   #83
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Nuuze,
When i was ordering this fixure, i was under impression that i will not get any ballasts exept T-5's..
I will let you guys know soon as i get this fixure..

mike

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
Unread 06/26/2007, 04:31 PM   #84
Nuuze
Registered Member

If you ordered the fixture system whether its magnetic, electronic or ACLS I think they all come with ballasts and bulbs. From what I heard from Alessandro @ Sfiligoi, older models come with magnetic, recently they changed magnetic to Icecap. ACLS is another option.

Unread 06/26/2007, 04:41 PM   #85
MSHUR
ugust 2011

I order the fixure without any MH balasts,just wires conected to the mh sockets..

Unread 06/26/2007, 05:00 PM   #86
Fliger
Registered Member

Nuuze, I thought of that but the 38" width is just a little too short for the 64" tank. If I can't get this Infinity fixed I may look at the new Elos pendants.

Bogg - yeah man it does. You saw a lot of my corals - unfortunately I lost quite a few of my SPS. And some nice pieces! I just want this tank done so I can enjoy it!

Edward - have you had any issues with your Giesemann? I came really close to getting the Giesemann Infinity. I think its $1,500 for the 2x250W + 4x54W. Calvin sounds really happy with his.

MSHUR - It sounds like you won't have the same problems - can't wait to see your setup! However, if the T5 that it comes with is Euro spec - I'd replace that. Just to be 100% US electrical, like your MH. They're cheap.

Hey Doc - I was in the club, then I wasn't - then I was, then I wasn't - and now I am again. I hate the tile in our house, its getting torn out and replaced with either better tile or hardwood. I love the tile on our patio though.

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Unread 06/26/2007, 06:38 PM   #87
invincible569
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger

Edward - have you had any issues with your Giesemann? I came really close to getting the Giesemann Infinity. I think its $1,500 for the 2x250W + 4x54W. Calvin sounds really happy with his.
No issues at all. Its been running very well. I dont use it to its max though. Now, I am down to 1 250 MH where my SPS rock is at and the rest is lit up by T5's and 150w spotlights. There's no reason to add so much light on my softies side. Like you, Im just going to enjoy this tank and let it run on its own. Taking it as slow as I can.

Unread 06/26/2007, 07:07 PM   #88
clownnrnd
Registered Member

Edward, definitely not worth what I ended up spending on this thing. Especially when you consider the sps I lost, all the time and frustration of trying to get the thing working then in the end having to do all the work myself w/ no compensation besides buying me the replacement ballasts. truthfully I don't know how those peole sleep at night knowing full well they have faulty equipt. operating in peoples homes. then to rely on the customer to make the repairs.

David, good luck w/ the replacement fuses.

Another thing w/ my fixture I noticed when I took it apart was the T-5 frames that hold the sockets where pretty racked and I had a hard time removing the bulbs.

This was the 3rd fixture being sent to me. First one was broken by Fed Ex. Second one was lost and eventually was returned broken to the sender. This thrid one was sent via freight and made it in one piece. When I went to set it up One of the MH's would'nt fire up. The bulb had been broken and I had a replacement sent out the next day. Little did I know at that time that I would be blowing fuses right and left after that.

Nuuze, I thought of placing the IC's in the fixture but there was'nt enough room. I have 3 reflectors. On the ends of the fixture is where they have 2 ballasts on each end for the T-5's and then between one set of the mh reflectors they have the transformers for the T-5's. This only left one area between the mh reflectors to place 3 IC ballasts. Not enough room

Sorry David if my stories have taken your thread too far off topic. It only comes up every once in a while where I can jump in and tell my story. I think it is something that people need to know when they are considering spending this type of money on a fixture. Especially when warranty issues are not being taken care of in a timely fashion.

Chad

clownnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2007, 07:26 PM   #89
hawaiianwargod
Registered Member

Dave,

I was going to wait for the Elos lights..250watters but my corals were too stressed out in a 100g rubbermaid. so I could not wait any longer and decided to get the Sfiligoi XR4 250w for my Elos 160XL and it covers the tank perfectly. I had chat with Naka (James) before buying a 48" fixture to be utilized in a 60+" tank and he said its fine to use it...thank God I listen to him. Light coverage is perfect and no lights bleeding on the sides...
Btw, I saw your reactor last week and all I can say with that reactor is simply Eloinkkodoink! lol...just crazy. Crazy good!

[E] levated
[L] evel
[O] f
[S] weetness

Current Tank Info: 210+ - "G" Elos 160XL [~]
hawaiianwargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2007, 08:09 PM   #90
invincible569
Registered Member

Chad, have you asked to get it replaced so you wouldnt have to worry about the headaches you have been having?

Unread 06/26/2007, 09:41 PM   #91
clownnrnd
Registered Member

Edward, yes I was offered a 4' version and a "smaller" one through Aquarium Obsessed/NA distributer.

I told them I had hoped this tank would be my dream tank and that a 4' + a 2' fixture where not a part of my dream .

I payed for my unit in May/06 and finally recieved my light fixture in Nov. and until May of this year I have been going round and round over the fuses blowing.

So yes Edward I asked repeatedly for a replacement fixture but Sfigiloi would not hear of that and AO said my unit had increased in price so much since when I bought mine that it would cost him more to replace it than what I actually paid for mine. Besides having paid all of this money for a non functioning fixture I was concerned for the safety of my family and home if this was (God forbid) ever to have a problem. at first we thought it was a short and I ran my fixture for months w/ that MH bulb/setup disconnected. After pulling it all apart last week I realized there was no short or loose connection and am 100% positive of that now.

Chad

Unread 06/26/2007, 10:08 PM   #92
Kaiden
No Comment

Ok,

Let me get this straight? These fixtures are not good?

Wow! I just ordered over 10,000 + worth of lights from AO.

Someone please bring some light to this subject. Before I go jump of a building!

Kaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2007, 10:34 PM   #93
Nuuze
Registered Member

My unit is working fine at the moment for about 2 months now. (knock on wood so I don't jinx myself) But mine is a 2-250w / 4-54w T5 with ACLS version.

The ones that seem to be having problems seem to be the magnetic ballasts version. To tell you the truth if it were to happen to me I'd be pi$$ed, especially for a brand new fixture $2000+ plus.

Hopefully these guys will sort it all out for you. I don't know why they don't just replace the ballasts already if they are bad. The fixture and reflectors are awesome. They should just send you guys Icecaps and call it a day.

Unread 06/26/2007, 11:10 PM   #94
clownnrnd
Registered Member

Kaiden John, Nuuze is correct. From what I know anyone who has had problems in the past has been due to the 220v magnetic ballasts. Also, keep AO up to speed on any problems w/ the unit ASAP. as well shipping can be very rough on these fixtures. As I said Fed Ex broke one and their policy is to return to sender as soon as damage is noticed. I never did recieve that fixture. Second one was lost by UPS and later was returned damaged to the sender. Third one was shipped via freight and it made it but as I have learned the unit suffered worse than what I first thought. At first it seemed as if it was just a bad bulb. Then when I was putting it up I noticed it have been kind of "racked". Then I got my replacement bulb and started blowing fuses. after so many fuses I just unplugged that MH I was having problems with. Now last weekend I noticed that the T-5 frames that hold the T-5 sockets where bent. So much so that when I tried to take the bulbs out it had to be done very carefully to keep from breaking the bulbs.

Nuuze, AO did just send me 3-400wIC ballasts to replace my magnetics. Problem is I spent a whole lot of money to have a DIY fixture and now where does my warranty lie? This all has been done as directed by AO and Sfigiloi so I would assume I would have the same warranty. Plus this has been a very long and drawn out deal and I can't believe I have had to pay full price for such service.

kaiden John, I would imagine you would not have the same problems as me but I bet David thought the same thing when he bought his. The thing that is in your favor is your fixture will more than likely have the electronic ballasts. Just pay attention to damage due to shipping and report it ASAP.

Chad

Unread 06/26/2007, 11:17 PM   #95
Kaiden
No Comment

Chad,

Thanks a lot for your feedback on this subject!

They are being shipped inside of two tanks that we are having built.

One is an 800+ Gallon Starphire and the other is a 300+ Gallon Starphire. With that said they are going inside the tank so maybe that will keep things safe. Who knows...

AO Has been more than great, I am sure if I have any problems Will personally will not let me lose my collection due to a faulty light problem.

Thanks...everyone...

John

Kaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2007, 11:43 PM   #96
Nuuze
Registered Member

I totally feel you clownnrnd! Spending all that money to have to do work on it. Too bad customer service wasn't better where they could expedite a replacement unit. To tell you the truth I wouldn't of bought my fixture if it had to ship from Canada or Italy, Santa Clause would of gotten it to me faster! Reason I jumped on the fixture I have is because Greg at Reef Geek in Cali was selling some units at a high discount and I always wanted a dimmable halide. And since I was also in Cali I jumped on it of course. Sfiligoi needs a distribution point in the US...

After buying my unit I discovered there's a new software out for the ACLS that allows you to manually override the T5's and be able shorten the dim time to a min 5 minutes instead of 15 minutes with the old software. But with a catch, the units have to go back to Itay for the software upgrade. No customer self installs here, it must be in Italian because using my 10+ years of IT netwoking skills couldn't convince them that I am capable of doing it. I even offered for them to train me in doing it so in return I could offer the service to my fellow RC'ers but nope. I guess if I ever wanted a manual override I can run an additional wire to the T5's ballasts to bypass the ACLS but I'm satisfied at the moment...

Unread 06/27/2007, 12:34 AM   #97
Fliger
Registered Member

You guys are depressing me! J/K. John - I'm sure you'll be take care of, hopefully you won't have any issues. I'm still holding out hope that I'll be taken care of. At this point, I'd just like to get some more fuses.

I agree Chad - many vendors just don't sympathize that people might be losing corals, time and money. Obviously the both of use lost all three. Like I said, Reefgeek is fantastic and he is already going to eat the cost of the T5 ballast. I'm holding out that Sfiligoi, or whoever, can help me get a light that actually works.

I'm kinda feelin better at your expense Chad that it took you 12 months and I'm only on month two. Altho I'd agree, I wouldn't exactly be a happy customer with a "Frankenlight".

That sucks Nuuze. You should get some kind of loaner or something.

Unread 06/27/2007, 01:05 AM   #98
Nuuze
Registered Member

I just got a few emails from Alessandro at Sfiligoi.

From all the product questions, I've mentioned to him some of the problems some of you are having and was wondering if he's aware of them. He knows of some but he was requesting your phone numbers from me. But I told him I did not have your numbers but are fellow RC'ers. I've asked him if he has a call back number for you all or for you to email him at sfiligoi@sfiligoi.it

He also mentions a Infinity XR6 with ACLS coming in a few months with MH and T5 dimming capabilities! It's in the beta stages as of now. DangIt, upgrading never ends!

Last edited by Nuuze; 06/27/2007 at 01:21 AM.
Unread 06/27/2007, 04:45 AM   #99
invincible569
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuze
I just got a few emails from Alessandro at Sfiligoi.

From all the product questions, I've mentioned to him some of the problems some of you are having and was wondering if he's aware of them. He knows of some but he was requesting your phone numbers from me. But I told him I did not have your numbers but are fellow RC'ers. I've asked him if he has a call back number for you all or for you to email him at sfiligoi@sfiligoi.it

He also mentions a Infinity XR6 with ACLS coming in a few months with MH and T5 dimming capabilities! It's in the beta stages as of now. DangIt, upgrading never ends!
Is that a hint that he will replace those units under warranty with the XR6's?

Nuuze brought up a good point. When I ordered my Giesemann Spectra through the American distro it came straight from Germany to my house in a couple of days. It seems like shipping seems to be a problem with the Sfiligoi units and is this the root cause?

Unread 06/27/2007, 09:11 AM   #100
Nuuze
Registered Member

Well at 40+ pounds per unit without ballasts for a large unit and they are shipped one by one, they would get individually tossed around shippers/facilities country lines and customs. But if the units came to the U.S. say on a pallate of 10 or more at a time, they wouldn't be tossed around as much but would have to be rolled around via pallet jack until it got to the US distibutor. Then it would be a short route on its own to its destination, our houses!

Last edited by Nuuze; 06/27/2007 at 10:10 AM.