Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2018, 12:30 PM   #3026
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

The new X model. More than enough

ComforablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 06:08 PM   #3027
nreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComforablyNumb View Post

Hope so, I wanted to get as much coverage as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 06:15 PM   #3028
lanshark
It's Landshark, aka SNL

Nice, Santa charged less shipping as you’re closer to North Pole

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef 66"x24"x22", 20g Sump/refugium 20g In-line Grow Out tank
lanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 11:27 PM   #3029
WVfishguy
Registered Member

To heck with halides. I'm old, you young guys take this new-fangled stuff for granted. Halides are like hanging red-hot cinder blocks over your tanks. I'll NEVER deal with stupid halides again.

Using halides is like going back to black and white TV, or driving a Model T.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 09:48 AM   #3030
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Cant even give them away for free in my market..

Unread 12/04/2018, 12:16 PM   #3031
smatter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
To heck with halides. I'm old, you young guys take this new-fangled stuff for granted. Halides are like hanging red-hot cinder blocks over your tanks. I'll NEVER deal with stupid halides again.

Using halides is like going back to black and white TV, or driving a Model T.
This made me laugh! I feel you brother. In every room in my house it looks like a shotgun went off from all the hooks I've had halides hanging from. I've since patched them, but I know they're there.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 07:32 AM   #3032
footballcs12
Registered Member

Should I add some t5 supplements? I've had my 2 a360we's for a couple of years over my 75 gallon and had no real issues but haven't had much of anything to blow me away either. I've lost quite a few sps, and a couple chalices but that could be due to my crazy life and lack of time for a real consistent maintenance schedule. Life has calmed down a little bit, I've got a little extra cash at the moment and idk if I should add a couple t5s or buy a different lighting unit all together. Anyone have any thoughts?

footballcs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 02:51 AM   #3033
harvin6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballcs12 View Post
Should I add some t5 supplements? I've had my 2 a360we's for a couple of years over my 75 gallon and had no real issues but haven't had much of anything to blow me away either. I've lost quite a few sps, and a couple chalices but that could be due to my crazy life and lack of time for a real consistent maintenance schedule. Life has calmed down a little bit, I've got a little extra cash at the moment and idk if I should add a couple t5s or buy a different lighting unit all together. Anyone have any thoughts?
well 2 a360 is super weak for 4 footer 75 gallon. i had 1 ap700 for a 4 footer and it is not enough to grow sps. Supplementing with t5 will help a lot or you can just save and add 2 more x360 would probably suffice .

harvin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 07:47 AM   #3034
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Quote:

I definitely would, I think you will be pleased. You could also double the number of kessils as mentioned above but that’s $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 09:34 AM   #3035
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

I ran t5's above my 4' kessil only lit reef...took them off after 5 months because I saw no difference in health or growth either way and I didnt like the washed out look the t5's gave the tank.

But it wont hurt..

Unread 12/11/2018, 09:36 AM   #3036
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvin6 View Post
well 2 a360 is super weak for 4 footer 75 gallon.
Not really. I have a 4' tank lit by 2 a360's and I dont have trouble growing corals over the almost 4 years they have been in place..

Unread 12/11/2018, 09:56 AM   #3037
harvin6
Registered Member

Quote:
Not really. I have a 4' tank lit by 2 a360's and I dont have trouble growing corals over the almost 4 years they have been in place..
Sorry i meant sps corals. The par is very low

Unread 12/11/2018, 03:30 PM   #3038
smatter
Registered Member

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 03:40 PM   #3039
robert s b.
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, T5'S supplements will help alot

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 300G DD, Edge 80g Frag Tank
robert s b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 03:43 PM   #3040
robert s b.
Registered Member

2 360we and 4 blue+ t5's in my frag grow tank

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 300G DD, Edge 80g Frag Tank
robert s b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 08:19 AM   #3041
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry i meant sps corals. The par is very low
Define very low. Most will grow and color up just fine in 200 PAR and a pair of Kessils over a standard 75g can produce 200 PAR in much of the tank.

Notes:
1) Location 3 is centered under one light right to left but not front to back (approx 4" behind the center line front to back).
2) Locations 6 is very close to the center of the tank (left to right and front to back).
3) The lights are centered over the tank front to back and 15" apart (7.5" left and right of center).
4) The lights are mounted 5" above the water line.
5) There is a bit of light spillage on all viewing sides of the aquarium so the lights could be mounted closer to the water to increase PAR values without losing coverage.
6) PAR values were measured on our local clubs Apogee MQ-500 with full spectrum sensor using a correction factor of 1.32.
7) Standard 75g Marineland aquarium 48"x18"x21" (LxWxH).
8) Two Kessil A360WE running 65% color.
9) MP40s set to feed mode while measurements were taken.
10) Return from sump remained on but has fairly low flow and doesn't agitate water surface much.

Tested the Aquatic Life Hybrid with two Kessil A360WEs. The two additional T5s produced a 21% increase in PAR (averaged across the nine data points in common with the LET fixture). All things are not equal as the tank has been torn down and moved since the last set of measurements were run with the LET retrofit. The layout is roughly the same, however. The fixture is also mounted an inch higher which certainly made a difference.

Notes:
1) Location 3 is centered under one light right to left but not front to back (even with top of rocks on the back side of these two corals).
2) Locations 6 is very close to the center of the tank left to right (a couple inches closer to the front glass front to back).
3) The Kessils are centered over the tank front to back and 18.5" apart (9.25" left and right of center).
4) The fixture is mounted 6" above the water line.
5) There is a bit of light spillage on all viewing sides of the aquarium so the lights could be mounted closer to the water to increase PAR values without losing coverage.
6) PAR values were measured on our local clubs Apogee MQ-500 with full spectrum sensor using an immersion correction factor of 1.32.
8) Two Kessil A360WE (60% color) with four 54w T5s in a 48" Aquatic Life Hybrid fixture (2 Blue+, 1 AquaBlue Special, and 1 Purple+)
9) 16" side rails mounted on the Aquatic Life to narrow the unit 2" from how it ships.
10) MP40s set to feed mode while measurements were taken.
11) Return from sump remained on but has fairly low flow and doesn't agitate water surface much.
12) Hybrid column represents the Aquatic Life fixture with only the T5 on.
13) LET column represents past results of the LET T5 retrofit kit for comparison.
14) The LET retrofit had two 54w T5s (1 Blue+ and 1 Coral+ at the time).

madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 08:09 PM   #3042
harvin6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
Define very low. Most will grow and color up just fine in 200 PAR and a pair of Kessils over a standard 75g can produce 200 PAR in much of the tank.

Notes:
1) Location 3 is centered under one light right to left but not front to back (approx 4" behind the center line front to back).
2) Locations 6 is very close to the center of the tank (left to right and front to back).
3) The lights are centered over the tank front to back and 15" apart (7.5" left and right of center).
4) The lights are mounted 5" above the water line.
6) PAR values were measured on our local clubs Apogee MQ-500 with full spectrum sensor using a correction factor of 1.32.
8) Two Kessil A360WE running 65% color.
9) MP40s set to feed mode while measurements were taken.
10) Return from sump remained on but has fairly low flow and doesn't agitate water surface much.

Tested the Aquatic Life Hybrid with two Kessil A360WEs. The two additional T5s produced a 21% increase in PAR (averaged across the nine data points in common with the LET fixture). All things are not equal as the tank has been torn down and moved since the last set of measurements were run with the LET retrofit. The layout is roughly the same, however. The fixture is also mounted an inch higher which certainly made a difference.

Notes:
1) Location 3 is centered under one light right to left but not front to back (even with top of rocks on the back side of these two corals).
2) Locations 6 is very close to the center of the tank left to right (a couple inches closer to the front glass front to back).
3) The Kessils are centered over the tank front to back and 18.5" apart (9.25" left and right of center).
4) The fixture is mounted 6" above the water line.
6) PAR values were measured on our local clubs Apogee MQ-500 with full spectrum sensor using an immersion correction factor of 1.32.
8) Two Kessil A360WE (60% color) with four 54w T5s in a 48" Aquatic Life Hybrid fixture (2 Blue+, 1 AquaBlue Special, and 1 Purple+)
9) 16" side rails mounted on the Aquatic Life to narrow the unit 2" from how it ships.
10) MP40s set to feed mode while measurements were taken.
11) Return from sump remained on but has fairly low flow and doesn't agitate water surface much.
12) Hybrid column represents the Aquatic Life fixture with only the T5 on.
13) LET column represents past results of the LET T5 retrofit kit for comparison.
14) The LET retrofit had two 54w T5s (1 Blue+ and 1 Coral+ at the time).

Exactly my point first picture without supplementation, 200 par running on 100% is abit low. For sps we usually aim around 250 - 350 (some ppl go as far as 450 as well to get those insane colors) .

Unread 12/13/2018, 08:44 PM   #3043
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Exactly my point first picture without supplementation, 200 par running on 100% is abit low. For sps we usually aim around 250 - 350 (some ppl go as far as 450 as well to get those insane colors) .
I’d argue that the insane colors you see in most of these SPS tanks are NOT the result of high PAR but rather the mix of light colors the corals are under as well as sufficient nutrients in the water. Ever go scuba diving? Most of these corals we have in our tanks tend to look very washed out in the ocean under natural sunlight where as in our tanks under artifical light, they can take on a whole new look. The same coral under one LED can look completely different under the next light. Most corals with red or green in them for example tend to fluoresce more under blue, royal blue and UV spectrums. Add a bit of red or even green and you can bring out other colors too. PAR is tough to measure on Kessils and having run them myself for many years, I can tell you they grow SPS great. Also, when taking PAR measurements, there are a lot of factors that can impact PAR values. Surface agitation is one that has a huge impact but water clarity also plays a big factor. While our water may seem clear to the eye, particles in the water can impact PAR. Having a UV sterilzer can have a fairly big impact on water clarity which can impact PAR values as well. Bottom line though, people often read into PAR to much when in fact, PUR is actually equally if not more important when it comes to coral growth but the color spectrum you have the corals under will play a huge role in the colors the corals display to the eye.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 08:00 AM   #3044
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
For what it's worth, I run the Kessils at 50% (average PAR of about about 240).

madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 10:21 AM   #3045
ERIC85854
Registered Member

If you want more PAR, get an AP700

Current Tank Info: 200G (RS XXL 750) Mixed Reef, Kessil AP700 & A360WEx2, T5x4, Vortech MP40, Gyre XF250, Lifereef SVS2-24, Apex Jr, DOS
ERIC85854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 10:26 AM   #3046
ERIC85854
Registered Member

Quote:
Dana measured the PAR of the X and the max was lower than the 360W, but the eveness of the light distribution was better.

Current Tank Info: 200G (RS XXL 750) Mixed Reef, Kessil AP700 & A360WEx2, T5x4, Vortech MP40, Gyre XF250, Lifereef SVS2-24, Apex Jr, DOS

Last edited by ERIC85854; 12/14/2018 at 10:53 AM.
ERIC85854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 11:42 AM   #3047
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Would it not be the same amount of light just distributed more evenly? Did they use less leds? Still more than enough either way I'm sure

Unread 12/14/2018, 11:47 AM   #3048
Mikeb76
Registered Member

90 gallon Light upgrade

Hello I wanted to see if I could get some suggestion on lighting for my 90 gallon tank. I currently have 2 chines LED boxes and my corals aren't getting the growth I would like. I'm thinking of getting two Kessil A160WE lights for my tank. Or would I need to get A360W ?

I have a canopy that the lights will be mounted to from the top. would these light work for me ? I have a mixture of corals.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kessel_lights_800x800.jpg (101.7 KB, 47 views)
Mikeb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 11:48 AM   #3049
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC85854 View Post
If you want more PAR, get an AP700
True. But you lose some flexibility in giving up individual lamp placement. Having said that, my a360's have been running everyday going on 4 yrs now.. and I would look at the AP700 if I thought I needed more par.

Unread 12/14/2018, 11:52 AM   #3050
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb76 View Post
I'm thinking of getting two Kessil A160WE lights for my tank. Or would I need to get A360W ?
2 a360's minimum, 3 preferred. Or one AP700, which is a great light. You can add an extra 360 later if you feel you need it. I have a160 sun on my heavily planted 65gal angelfish tank. Works and looks fantastic with shimmer. But that freshwater plants, corals need much more light