Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2016, 07:00 PM   #1
Davismw
Registered Member

Lightbulb 160 Gallon Tank Renovation

This is my first post, but I have been scouring this forum for quite a while. Getting ideas and picking up new technology to completely renovate our existing aquarium.

We bought a house with an existing turtle tank in it. We did not want a turtle tank but I have had fish tanks forever so that is what we had in mind when we had bought the house was to turn it into a saltwater aquarium.

Some of the difficulties we've encountered are obviously it was a turtle tank so we had to remove some wood branches that were screwed in from the sides of the tank. Also it didn't have a proper sump set up. When we initially got it going we had to use a canister system just because that what we could fit in the cabinet. We knew this was a stopgap but hoped we could get something working for a while so we could figure out what to do next.

We have since been working at figuring out a way to do a basement sump system that we could run up to the main level so we could have the tank setup well. My wife and I spent a year thinking and poking around the house to figure out what would work and what wouldn't. We have recently found our way to the basement mech room and are ready to start our project.

What we have coming up is...
-running 3 lines of spa flex through the house. (2 drains)
-installing new radion led lights.
-completely emptying out the tank and re aquascaping along with sanding the acrylic to clear and clean it up.
-installing a 60 gallon sump in the basement and a ro/di system to feed it.
-installing/setting up an apex system

I've seen and learned from so many cool builds in these forums that I figured since we are about to undergo our own it's time to give back. I've got some pictures coming too I just don't have them on me this second. I'll try to post them tomorrow.

Davismw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2016, 04:24 PM   #2
sixpackgarage
reef mechanic

pics or it didn't happen

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2523500

Current Tank Info: DSA NEO 65G reef powered by Kessil
sixpackgarage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic, new build, tank build