Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2018, 12:57 PM   #1
DasCamel
Registered Member

Need help, drop from 220 to 170 ppm in 12 hours?

OK, is this possible to drop in 12 hours from 220 ppm alkalinity to 170 ppm? The drop was overnight.

Based on my calculations I need to dose about 2.3 liters of the baking soda solution just to maintain per day. This change seems to be consistent over the long term. I do need to clean all my pumps every 1-2 months from buildup.

My calcium is on the high side 480 ppm and so is my MG at 1500+. My salinity is 1.029 from dosing two part and I am working on bringing it down.

I do have this one sps coral self propagating all over my tank, with a good number of large colonies all over a large tank.

Currently, using two part from Randy's recipes. Guessing I need a calcium reactor?

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 02:36 PM   #2
hkgar
Registered Member

Not sure how you get 2.3 liters. Do not raise more than .5 t0 .75 dKH /day

220 is a dKH of 12.3. Why do you want it so high? 7.8-9.0 is plenty. Even the 10.0 is plenty.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dkh.jpg (75.5 KB, 13 views)

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 02:40 PM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

That would put your usage at about 2.3 dKH /day.

I use 3.5 dKH/day and absolutely use a ca reactor.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 09/18/2018, 03:59 PM   #4
DasCamel
Registered Member

I'm not trying to keep it that high, happy maintaining at 8-9. Having a hard time keeping up the values. My goal is swings of .5 or less per day.

Adding 1.1 liters got me back to 210.(only over 12 hours) So figure my usage over 24 hours is around 2.0-2.3 liters per day. I'm just shocked in a few months my consumption skyrocketed this much as coral growth exploded. Used to get by with just kalk and vinegar in the top off.

So these numbers are definitely viable usage?

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
Unread 09/18/2018, 05:26 PM   #5
hkgar
Registered Member

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/...Conversion.php

Unread 09/18/2018, 08:56 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

That is about 2 dKH per day, roughly, which is believable. My tanks ran 2-3 dKH per day for years due to coralline growth.

A calcium reactor would largely eliminate the rise in salinity, so it might make for somewhat less maintenance. I can't tell, though, since some people who run reactors seem to have to spend time tuning it. Kalk will add calcium and alkalinity without adding salinity, but it generally can't keep up with that kind of consumption rate.

Unread 09/18/2018, 10:04 PM   #7
DasCamel
Registered Member

OK, thanks. I get it now. Yeah, trying to keep it stable this way isn't ideal or fun. Getting a new proper sump next few weeks, trying to hold out on the reactor until then.

Unread 09/18/2018, 10:40 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome. If you start seeing large tannish or off-white builds on surfaces, you might want to look into abiotic precipitation prevention, but I suspect your corals are your main suspect.

Unread 09/19/2018, 12:39 PM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

Although a reactor would be ideal, you could use dosing pumps. If you have and Apex controller they have DOS dual pumps. Also check with BRS or other vendors.

Unread 09/19/2018, 12:51 PM   #10
hkgar
Registered Member

In my system with a 180 DT and 30 sump (total water voume about 145) I use 3.4-3.5 dKH/day (60 PPM).

Kalk will not keep up, but I have used Kalk in ATO to reduce reactor use, but because evaporation was too variable I only use te reactor now. You will want a decent size (large) reactor.

Unread 09/20/2018, 12:57 AM   #11
DasCamel
Registered Member

I was thinking of this, https://www.geosreef.com/product/cr818-calcium-reactor/

Unread 09/20/2018, 06:37 AM   #12
McPuff
Registered Member

Definitely get a reactor if your consumption is that high. It is much easier to maintain. Instead of mixing new solution every week or so and manipulating the dosing rate (which can be a pain depending on your pumps), you can make minor adjustments to CO2 flow and/or effluent rate. These are really small adjustments that you might make every few days or weeks. I test the alk on my system once a week and it tends to stay in the mid to upper 7s. Ideally, I'd use a peristaltic feed pump to [almost] eliminate any fiddling with effluent. Once you get the Ca reactor up and running it's very easy. But I also agree with HKGAR to get the biggest reactor possible. I got a massive reactor for my 300 thinking it would be overkill. It's not overkill, but it works very well.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 02:27 PM   #13
hkgar
Registered Member

This is the one I have now. I highly recommend it.

Unread 09/21/2018, 02:51 AM   #14
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
This is the one I have now. I highly recommend it.
That looks really good. Mind if I ask which regulator and other stuff you use?

Unread 09/21/2018, 10:06 AM   #15
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasCamel View Post
I recommend checking out CO2art (UK) for your regulator. Very good prices and extremely good performance. Never had any issues with mine. The customer service is also very good.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 12:42 PM   #16
DasCamel
Registered Member

Looks like to have a decent dual stage with solenoid fairly priced. Thanks!

Unread 09/21/2018, 01:33 PM   #17
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is the one I have. Many reefers opt for this one

https://aquariumplants.com/collectio...-regulator-set

Here is a link a good thread about using a regulator

Unread 09/21/2018, 01:34 PM   #18
hkgar
Registered Member

Nobody said this hobby was cheap, if you want beautiful SPS and LPS corals

Unread 09/21/2018, 04:04 PM   #19
DasCamel
Registered Member

Ordered the dual stage British one and T3 Aquamaxx reactor. Have an Apex and an extra probe already.

What media?

Unread 09/22/2018, 01:30 AM   #20
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Here is the one I have. Many reefers opt for this one

https://aquariumplants.com/collectio...-regulator-set

Here is a link a good thread about using a regulator
That thread is massive, read some of it a few weeks back. Peristaltic really that important? Any leads lol?

Unread 09/22/2018, 04:15 AM   #21
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
That thread is massive, read some of it a few weeks back. Peristaltic really that important? Any leads lol?
Not if you like checking your effluent drip rate daily . Check out the kamoer continuous duty dosing pump. Made specifically for reef keeping. Great little pump with an lcd display that shows what dosage rate you are at currently. Very easy to adjust.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2018, 12:41 PM   #22
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisanoal View Post
Not if you like checking your effluent drip rate daily . Check out the kamoer continuous duty dosing pump. Made specifically for reef keeping. Great little pump with an lcd display that shows what dosage rate you are at currently. Very easy to adjust.
That seems more straightforward than tracking down a used medical one.

Was wondering why people just don't use this one, newer?

Unread 09/22/2018, 02:43 PM   #23
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
That seems more straightforward than tracking down a used medical one.

Was wondering why people just don't use this one, newer?
Yeah i think it came out early this year? Ive had one for about a month now. I really like it. A used medical one can be had cheaper, but not by much. This one is about 260 and has the bonus of the lcd screen showing what you have it set on

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2018, 03:21 PM   #24
bertoni
RC Mod

A peristaltic pump is very good for dosing Kalkwasser, but I haven't heard of one being all that useful with the standard carbon-dioxide-driven calcium reactor. For a Kalkwasser reactor, it'd be worth checking, in my opinion.

Unread 09/22/2018, 04:18 PM   #25
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
A peristaltic pump is very good for dosing Kalkwasser, but I haven't heard of one being all that useful with the standard carbon-dioxide-driven calcium reactor. For a Kalkwasser reactor, it'd be worth checking, in my opinion.
So many swear by one?