Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 08/08/2005, 02:27 PM   #351
PITSTOP
Registered Member

JUST WENT BARE-BOTTOM!!! YES!

I read one of Bomber’s posts; he told the tail of hair algae creeping up the rock work after years of buying endless cleaner crews, yadda, yadda, yadda…

I have a 120 display, 40 breeder sump, AquaC EV180 w/Mag 9.5, MH’s, VHO’s, etc.

I moved everything (corals, rocks, fish) into a temporary 55 AGA, drained and discarded ALL used seawater, removed a 4” Southdown bed of liquid STANK MUD, scraped everything down with vinegar to ‘like new’ condition, hand picked as much algae as possible off the rocks, refilled the tank and sump with fresh RO/DI, new Tropic Marin salt, let season for 48 hours, moved everything back in…..and WOW! What a difference 4 full days of labor makes!

I will post before and after pictures tomorrow. My how we love before and after pix!!!

Current Tank Info: 120 SPS
Unread 08/08/2005, 09:58 PM   #352
FastUno
Registered Member

Funny, back in 1996 I was simply trying to keep salt water fish alive in my tank with an underground filter. I had come across an individual who told me his tank had just the bare glass & his fish & that he never had any problems. I went home & thought about it long & hard. I noticed that one of my LFS tanks were all bare tanks & their fish were always healthy & water always super clean.

I concluded that BB was the way to go & that I would investigate some means of creating a false BB, something that looks more natural. The best idea that I could come across is spreading silicone on the surface of the tank bottom & spreading/compressing sand over it. This was many years ago.

Current Tank Info: SW, Reef
Unread 08/10/2005, 07:49 AM   #353
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FastUno
Funny, back in 1996 I was simply trying to keep salt water fish alive in my tank with an underground filter. I had come across an individual who told me his tank had just the bare glass & his fish & that he never had any problems. I went home & thought about it long & hard. I noticed that one of my LFS tanks were all bare tanks & their fish were always healthy & water always super clean.

I concluded that BB was the way to go & that I would investigate some means of creating a false BB, something that looks more natural. The best idea that I could come across is spreading silicone on the surface of the tank bottom & spreading/compressing sand over it. This was many years ago.
I think its because those bacteria living in the ugf just got a perfect breeding ground to create ammonia(rotting of waste)

Really I think that in our tanks, some bacteria are useless.

Current Tank Info: 220 galon mixed reef.
Unread 08/12/2005, 07:38 AM   #354
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

Still wanna see them tanks!Cmon guys

Current Tank Info: 220 galon mixed reef.
Unread 08/12/2005, 11:56 PM   #355
FastUno
Registered Member

90g

Current Tank Info: SW, Reef
Unread 08/13/2005, 04:46 AM   #356
poknsnok
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PITSTOP
JUST WENT BARE-BOTTOM!!! YES!

I read one of Bomber’s posts; he told the tail of hair algae creeping up the rock work after years of buying endless cleaner crews, yadda, yadda, yadda…

I have a 120 display, 40 breeder sump, AquaC EV180 w/Mag 9.5, MH’s, VHO’s, etc.

I moved everything (corals, rocks, fish) into a temporary 55 AGA, drained and discarded ALL used seawater, removed a 4” Southdown bed of liquid STANK MUD, scraped everything down with vinegar to ‘like new’ condition, hand picked as much algae as possible off the rocks, refilled the tank and sump with fresh RO/DI, new Tropic Marin salt, let season for 48 hours, moved everything back in…..and WOW! What a difference 4 full days of labor makes!

I will post before and after pictures tomorrow. My how we love before and after pix!!!
Did you get some pics yet??

Unread 08/13/2005, 12:06 PM   #357
PITSTOP
Registered Member

OK, back from a short vacation...

Sorry for the delay mates, here are some snaps as promised.

>>> BEFORE REMOVING THE SAND BED:

>>> ONLY 4 DAYS AFTER REMOVING THE SAND BED!

>>> What you cannot really see in these photos is the immediate and dramatic change in the stony corals. Before removal of the sand bed, the growth was painfully slow, many were getting 'infected' with a mysterious dark brown filamentous algae on the tips, most were slowly/rapidly losing color and flourescence. In only 4 days the changes have been clearly noticable. All the corals developed intense growing tips, colors started to appear that I had NEVER seen in them. I can't wait to do a 1 month update, or 1 year!!!

Unread 08/13/2005, 01:37 PM   #358
poknsnok
Registered Member

wow... did you "cook" your rocks??

Unread 08/13/2005, 06:41 PM   #359
SERVO
Registered Member

I finally made it into the club. After starting this set up in December, I finally got rock in it today!!! Now for a little cycle time before I transfer my SPS!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Unread 08/13/2005, 06:45 PM   #360
SERVO
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boxfishpooalot
Nice tanks!

Dubbin1 what kind of fish do you got in there glass fish?
I think he has some ghost shrimp in there too! LOL

Unread 08/13/2005, 08:05 PM   #361
PITSTOP
Registered Member

poknsnok - no, I spent a great deal of time pulling off the algae by hand. I removed all the rock before removing the sand, placed the rock into a plastic bin and manicured it (for a long time).

Unread 08/13/2005, 08:56 PM   #362
heedicus
Registered Member

So here is something that I hope is not to dumb of a question...
When the rock is "cooking" is it still acting as a biological filter?
so if i were to cook my rock in a sump room and leave the display bare but for a few fish and corals with some pvc pipes for hiding, would it work or would the rock not be able to keep up with the waste?

second dumb question.
do you have to "cook" dry baserock? is there any gunk that comes aboard even dry rock that needs to get cooked out?

Thanks,
Tren

Unread 08/13/2005, 10:49 PM   #363
bkwudzjeep
O|||||||O

WOW....great thread....

Can you get away with less lighting with BB? Most of the BB tanks seem much brighter.....i.e. reflected light?

Just something that popped in my head.

Current Tank Info: Taking a break for a while
Unread 08/13/2005, 10:55 PM   #364
just dave
11th in '11

Started October of 2004.

Unread 08/13/2005, 11:00 PM   #365
diverrad
Registered Member

Dave how do you siphon out the detritus with tank so packed ?

Current Tank Info: 40g cube All SPS
Unread 08/13/2005, 11:03 PM   #366
just dave
11th in '11

I flip it upside down and pour it out.

Actually my flow patterns push most of it to the rear(got lucky) and I siphon it out from the back.
The structure is like a horse shoe and is open/bare behind the rock work. Also the main structure is built over a acrylic shell and is open underneath as well.

Unread 08/13/2005, 11:05 PM   #367
diverrad
Registered Member

ahh nice. I'm still plaing with the frow to get it right

Current Tank Info: 40g cube All SPS
Unread 08/14/2005, 05:27 AM   #368
eidillitih
Premium Member

what size tank it that?

It's the Journey that makes the Destination so sweet

C. Taylor, M.Ed.

Current Tank Info: 190g, 250lbs Live Rock, Vertex Alpha skimmer, 2x Tunze 6100's, Vortech 40mp, Queit one return, 220watts vho, 750MH, 60gal. Melev Sump, DIY Stand and Canopy, JBJ 1/4 Chiller, and other Man toys
Unread 08/14/2005, 11:57 AM   #369
just dave
11th in '11

48"x48"x24"

Unread 08/14/2005, 12:09 PM   #370
GSchiemer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by heedicus

second dumb question.
do you have to "cook" dry baserock? is there any gunk that comes aboard even dry rock that needs to get cooked out?

Thanks,
Tren
By "cooking" your good live rock you are essentially turning it into base rock, so if that's your goal, you may as well buy base rock. Better yet, buy dry calcareous rock and save a lot of money and time waiting for all the biological activity to cease and die. Better still, just make some shelves out of plastic eggcrate and sit your corals on top of those. It will look just like the neighborhood pet store!

For everyone into this new sterile craze, why not buy dried Acropora corals and paint them fluorescent colors. Put them into an aquarium without water. Perhaps hang a few plastic fish by nylon strings.

Personally, I prefer a more natural look and diversity in my reef aquariums. I like the entire ecosystem that depends upon a sand substrate, and I couldn't give up my leopard wrasses, Halichoeres wrasses, gobies and blennies that live and sleep in the sand, but that's just me.

Unread 08/14/2005, 12:13 PM   #371
Weatherman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSchiemer
By "cooking" your good live rock you are essentially turning it into base rock, so if that's your goal, you may as well buy base rock. Better yet, buy dry calcareous rock and save a lot of money and time waiting for all the biological activity to cease and die. Better still, just make some shelves out of plastic eggcrate and sit your corals on top of those. It will look just like the neighborhood pet store!
Not quite...

You need to read this.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=485572

Unread 08/14/2005, 12:28 PM   #372
Bomber
10 & Over Club

Greg, haven't you been in this too long to be making posts like that?

You're just bashing something you don't understand, that's obvious because you could not have read Sean's rock cooking thread and said that.

All it is is using bacteria to drive the organics/nutrients out of the rocks so you start out with a cleaner system. It's not making them sterile, it's just making them a whole less likely to pollute your tank.

Unread 08/14/2005, 01:05 PM   #373
Electrobes
Montipora type guy

Just Dave - That is an astonishingly beautiful tank! I like the way the barebottom isn't really viewlable... a bunch of corals and rock is there instead. If did mind changing out the sand bed and didn't care for sand dwelling clams all that much... I would go BB via your landscaping!

Current Tank Info: 100G Half Cylinder
Unread 08/14/2005, 02:35 PM   #374
just dave
11th in '11

Quote:
Originally posted by Electrobes
Just Dave - That is an astonishingly beautiful tank! I like the way the barebottom isn't really viewlable... a bunch of corals and rock is there instead. If did mind changing out the sand bed and didn't care for sand dwelling clams all that much... I would go BB via your landscaping!

Thanks.

Very real looking isn't it?

I did a good job hiding the nylon strings I used to suspend the fish.

I have this tank attached to the system.

Notice the 12" ruler in the picture. This is a older picture as I have live rock in the tank now.

Unread 08/14/2005, 03:04 PM   #375
GSchiemer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bomber
Greg, haven't you been in this too long to be making posts like that?

You're just bashing something you don't understand, that's obvious because you could not have read Sean's rock cooking thread and said that.

All it is is using bacteria to drive the organics/nutrients out of the rocks so you start out with a cleaner system. It's not making them sterile, it's just making them a whole less likely to pollute your tank.
But in the process of "cooking" the rock are you not killing off macroalgae, coralline algae, microcrustaceans, remnants of living coral, etc.? And those are the reason we buy live rock, isn't it?

I understand the "cooking" process and I believe it has a place. I just don't think it should be standard operating procedure when buying live rock.

BTW, I'm not saying that one needs sand in order to have a successful reef aquarium. I've kept BB reef aquariums long before they were in vogue and for the same reasons they're recommended now. IMO, it's a better methodology for a high-energy reef aquarium and perhaps a better methodology for beginners in general. Furthermore, I was NEVER a follower of the DSB methodology, especially with the powder-fine sand. It's ugly, unnecessary, a waste of good aquarium space, and eventually will be more trouble than it's worth, which isn't much. I just don't appreciate the attitude and insinuations that some "minions" display in these threads (not you Bomber) proclaiming BB is the b-all and end-all and the rest of us are idiots.

Greg

Last edited by GSchiemer; 08/14/2005 at 03:14 PM.
Closed Thread