Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/25/2008, 12:28 PM   #1
amphirion
Registered Member

Question Blue Throat Trigger food

Hey guys,

I just got a female blue throat trigger 2 days ago. It is a wonderul fish but very shy.. She comes out of the rocks if it is calm but when I come near the tank, she goes staright in the rocks and hide for 10-20 minutes until she is sure there is no more "danger". I am not able to feed her right now because when I put my hands in the tank to give food, she just hides in the rock... Is this normal for a Blue throat trigger?

Right now I am feeding her brine shrimp, NLS pellets and flake food ( I saw her eat 2 brine shrimps yesterday).

What else could I feed her?
What do you feed your blue throat?
Could it eat nori on a clip?

I am thinking of buying some shrimp today and put it on a clip... See if it works.

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2008, 12:56 PM   #2
NCSUsalt
Registered Member

very normal for a new bluejaw to do this. they get bolder as they acclimate to your tank

NCSUsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2008, 01:12 PM   #3
A sea K
Registered Member

Totally agree with NCSUsalt. Mine was very shy for quite some time. Now past the shyness my trigger eats anything I put in the tank including my fingers.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2008, 07:53 AM   #4
amphirion
Registered Member

Thank you. Yesterday I was able to feed him some piece of shrimp on the nori clip. What do you guys feed your bluejaw other than shrimp?

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Recty
Registered Member

Any small meat foods... I regularly feed my fish which include two blue throat triggers a mix of scallops, shrimp, tuna and sometimes crab or mussel. I chop stuff up with a knife or use a blender, depending on the quantity I'm making.

I soak it in Selcon and usually add in some spectrum pellets. My female blue throat recently started gobbling down the spectrum pellets, so that makes her easy to feed with an automatic feeder when I go on vacation.

Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Recty
Registered Member

Oh, and mine also eats little bits of algae floating around from other fish ripping off the algae clip.

Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2008, 02:47 PM   #7
shelburn61
Registered Member

My male eats anything and everything now. Constantly begging at the front of the tank.

I've had the best luck with mysis or chopped shrimp for new fish... sometimes live brine if those don't work.

shelburn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2008, 04:44 PM   #8
rldavisou
Moved On

Yeah, my triggers eat a mix of what is commonly available at the seafood store. I just buy whatever's on sale. As mentioned above, soaking the food in selcon makes it MUCH more nutritious.

rldavisou is offline   Reply With Quote