Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/06/2018, 04:31 PM   #1
chappy121
Registered Member

Drastic measures vs mushrooms....

I think I need to get drastic vs the mushrooms taking over my tank. I either want to keep them in a dark place (garbage can with a pump and heater until they all die) or dry out the rock and start over. Unfortunately it’s all live rock and I would hate to have them completely die.

Any advice? Killing them a few at a time is not working.

Help please!

chappy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 04:33 PM   #2
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Try taking out the rock and cutting them off

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 06:41 PM   #3
Mache62
Registered Member

I had the same problem a couple years ago and ended up taking everything out and starting it over.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mache62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

Try pointing a power head at the rock. Sometimes they’ll dislodge and you can grab them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Djbeasley05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 08:04 PM   #5
Bpb
Registered Member

Depends on your tank. Honestly if it’s a mature sps tank, and the rocks are well connected or numerous enough, I’d just make attacking them manually as part of your biweekly maintenance. If your tank is sparse and rocks are easily removed, cure them for a couple months. They may die off in the dark.

I have so many and my rock wall is too old and well covered with sps that removing rocks and curing them is absolutely not an option. That would cause a crash. So I have to just go in every 2-3 weeks with a syringe of kalk paste and nuke a few dozen. Takes them a while to regrow. I’ll never put another mushroom in my tank as long as I live. Not even a pretty ricordea or bounce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 08:48 PM   #6
nereefpat
Registered Member

Maybe a lfs would trade you live rock for your mushroom rock pound for pound.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 09:08 PM   #7
Louis Z
Registered Member

Some LFS charge up to 15 each and 30 for ricordia sell them for half to other hobbyists . I would buy them . Some of the mushroom rocks with many on them sell for 60 to 75. Make back some money

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2018, 10:34 PM   #8
chappy121
Registered Member

Thank you all. I think I’ll try selling a few of the rocks and then cure the remaining.

And Bpb, I’m with you, I’ll never introduce another mushroom ever.

chappy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 09:30 AM   #9
anbosu
Registered Member

I wouldn't count on them dying in the dark. I think selling/trading them for other established live rock is a good plan.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 06:42 PM   #10
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Yup..i just had a cup coral come back to life after seemingly being dead for a year and a half..
It was live rock when I got it.. but just a skeleton covered in algea

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 07:49 PM   #11
Chitownpw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
Depends on your tank. Honestly if it’s a mature sps tank, and the rocks are well connected or numerous enough, I’d just make attacking them manually as part of your biweekly maintenance. If your tank is sparse and rocks are easily removed, cure them for a couple months. They may die off in the dark.

I have so many and my rock wall is too old and well covered with sps that removing rocks and curing them is absolutely not an option. That would cause a crash. So I have to just go in every 2-3 weeks with a syringe of kalk paste and nuke a few dozen. Takes them a while to regrow. I’ll never put another mushroom in my tank as long as I live. Not even a pretty ricordea or bounce

What is the mixture that you inject and how does it impact the tank? I have been fighting them also and I have some infringing on one of my better SPS colonies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chitownpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 09:05 PM   #12
Bpb
Registered Member

I just put a heaping tablespoon in a cup with about 20-40 ml of water and stir it well. Ends up at about the consistency of maple syrup. I draw it up and first pierce the mouth and fill the gut with kalk paste then smother the whole shroom. Leave flow off for abojt 10 minutes. Then turn it back on. Yes bits of kalk paste will get stirred up. Ph and alk increase as a result is negligible.

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote