Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2017, 12:26 PM   #1
Careful_jake
Registered Member

First reef tank 75g

I'm new to the forum and a first time reefer. Here's what I have so far-
80lbs of live rock I've had curing for 5 weeks, so far, with weekly water changes.
75 gallon DT which I installed an overflow in.
29 gallon sump
Reef octopus 200 int skimmer
Reef keeper lite
750 dc return pump
A small 700 aqueon powerhead that I'm using for flow in the container the rock is curing in. I plan to get a couple more adequately sized ones, I'm just not sure what yet.

I guess I don't have any more recent pics of the stand I'm building. I'll be finishing up the doors and starting to stain tonight. The bump up on the end was originally to accommodate the skimmer, so I could put it on a stand and run the water higher in the first chamber. Now I'm planning on the Triton method so I moved the skimmer to the second chamber. That space will now be used for ato tank. I think it will be a gravity fed drip with a float back up for now.

After this stand is done I can put the baffles in the sump and plumb and wire everything. Not too much longer.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Careful_jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 07:12 AM   #2
Careful_jake
Registered Member

Also got the first coat of stain on last night. I'm not real happy with it, but we'll see how it looks after the next couple coats. This is before staining and milling the doors.

Unread 11/21/2017, 09:11 AM   #3
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Did you use cloth to wipe the stain or did you use a brush?

I used a brush at first and did not like the way it turned out. So I sanded it down completely and started over using cloth and it came out exactly the way I wanted, probably better.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 09:22 AM   #4
Careful_jake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
Did you use cloth to wipe the stain or did you use a brush?

I used a brush at first and did not like the way it turned out. So I sanded it down completely and started over using cloth and it came out exactly the way I wanted, probably better.
I used a cheese cloth for this stain. The next stain has the poly in it so I will use a brush for that. The trouble was I put my wood filler over the brad holes before staining. Where I sanded those areas took the stain differently. I'm hoping to even it out a little and I'm also hoping the next couple coats of the other stain will help blend it.

Unread 11/21/2017, 09:32 AM   #5
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Ah, ok, you should have used pre-stain so they all take the stain evenly. I used wooden dowel to cover the pocket screws and wood filler on little chips and imperfections on the wood edges.
For poly, I find it worked best to thin it (must be oil based) with mineral spirit and wipe it on. Or you can get ready made wipe on poly.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 09:44 AM   #6
Careful_jake
Registered Member

I do typically wipe on poly, but this is the varathane stain and poly and it recommends using a brush. If I did it over again I would use a conditioner and apply my filler after stain. It's not my first rodeo but it is the largest piece I've stained.

Unread 11/21/2017, 11:45 PM   #7
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Just Following along

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 05:58 AM   #8
Careful_jake
Registered Member

A little sanding and the coat of poly/stain covered those spots pretty well. I have one spot in the top left corner to deal with, otherwise I'm going to do one more coat and call it done.

Unread 11/22/2017, 03:25 PM   #9
Esh1
Registered Member

Interesting stand build, I like it! I couldn't fit everything I wanted to under my cabinet, and then found an old kitchen cabinet in the basement that I saved that fit perfectly next to the tank, creating a similar setup. The counter top on mine simply lifts off so I can get to all the electrical. Looking forward to seeing more progress on your build!

Esh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 08:16 AM   #10
Careful_jake
Registered Member

Finally done with the stand. Well, mostly done. I still need to make the top and flooring/shelving inside, but I need to make a couple decisions on my sump/fuge first. Brs had a good sale on the rkl controller so I picked that up, as well as a more appropriately sized sicce return pump.

There are a few things I would have done differently on the stand but I'm pretty happy with it. It looks more even and less pink in person.

Unread 12/17/2017, 11:26 AM   #11
Careful_jake
Registered Member

The reef tank is getting closer. I got the plumbing roughed in. Just need to make a stand for the 10 gallon fuge, glue it all up, test it, wire it, and get it up and running. I'm also thinking about putting it on its own 20 amp gfi circuit

Unread 12/17/2017, 11:36 AM   #12
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

Looking very good...if you have the chance to put in the dedicated GFI circuit, by all means do it...

Another thing you may want to consider - some people paint the back wall of the tank (typically black) as it helps hide the plumbing a little bit but that is just personal preference...

VoltzNSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2017, 11:42 AM   #13
Coral Group
Registered Member

I love the cabinet build.
Good job

Coral Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 05:51 PM   #14
Careful_jake
Registered Member

Thanks

I considered painting it black, but thought I'd leave it and let the coralline algae take over. Maybe I'll reconsider. It would also hide my poor caulking job on the overflow box.

Unread 12/30/2017, 07:27 PM   #15
Careful_jake
Registered Member

The tank and plumbing passed the leak test and it has me excited and motivated to get the wiring done.

Today I was looking for the few remaining things I need. Does anybody have any recommendations on power heads? Originally I was planning on the tunze turbelle nanostream 6020 or 6025, but I've read several reviews on the 6020, saying it was loud.

Unread 01/01/2018, 06:23 PM   #16
Zafak
Registered Member

Quote:
Does anybody have any recommendations on power heads? Originally I was planning on the tunze turbelle nanostream 6020 or 6025, but I've read several reviews on the 6020, saying it was loud.
I have two sicce voyager 2 (800gph) and two sicce voyager nano (530gph) powerheads in my 75g. The 800gph powerheads can only be heard when I'm within 3-4 feet of the tank. Its a very quiet pump but not silent. The 530gph powerheads I can't hear at all even when my face is right against the glass.

Zafak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 12:14 PM   #17
jphayes921
Registered Member

You will want to be careful with the 90s on the overflow. This may not flow enough and cause water to overflow out of the overflow box. You would be better off with 45s. I learned the hard way when I turned up my DC pump for more flow. My drains with 90s couldn't handle the flow.

jphayes921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 12:19 PM   #18
Careful_jake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphayes921 View Post
You will want to be careful with the 90s on the overflow. This may not flow enough and cause water to overflow out of the overflow box. You would be better off with 45s. I learned the hard way when I turned up my DC pump for more flow. My drains with 90s couldn't handle the flow.
It handles it. I actually have the gate valve closed a bit to prevent gurgling, and there is always the backup. I think having them sloped the way I do helped.

Unread 01/04/2018, 12:22 PM   #19
Careful_jake
Registered Member

Oh and I'm just running two aqueon 700s for powerheads right now. I already had one and it was quiet so I picked up another. I finished filling the tank this morning. My new lights should be here tonight.

Unread 01/04/2018, 03:43 PM   #20
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

put child lock on the cabinet doors

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 10:21 PM   #21
fishdip22
Registered Member

Dont throw the baby out with the tank water

Unread 01/04/2018, 11:15 PM   #22
Careful_jake
Registered Member

Haha seeing her watch the fish in the waiting room at the doctor is what inspired me to get into this hobby. Honestly I thought I was going to go to the store and pick up a reef ready nano tank and be up and running. That was 3+ months ago end this is where I ended up.

Anyway, my lights came today. I made a wall to keep the lights for the fuge from spilling over into the sump too much. I really just need to make a top for the fuge portion of the stand and the easy part is done.

Unread 01/04/2018, 11:38 PM   #23
fishdip22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful_jake View Post
Haha seeing her watch the fish in the waiting room at the doctor is what inspired me to get into this hobby. Honestly I thought I was going to go to the store and pick up a reef ready nano tank and be up and running. That was 3+ months ago end this is where I ended up.

Anyway, my lights came today. I made a wall to keep the lights for the fuge from spilling over into the sump too much. I really just need to make a top for the fuge portion of the stand and the easy part is done.

What made you decide on not doing a background on the tank?

Unread 01/04/2018, 11:48 PM   #24
Careful_jake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip22 View Post
What made you decide on not doing a background on the tank?
I don't really mind seeing the plumbing through the tank. It's something I put effort into, just as anything else in the setup. Ultimately, I hope for the back of the tank to be covered in coralline algae.

Unread 01/04/2018, 11:56 PM   #25
fishdip22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful_jake View Post
I don't really mind seeing the plumbing through the tank. It's something I put effort into, just as anything else in the setup. Ultimately, I hope for the back of the tank to be covered in coralline algae.

Well you did some nice work. Get your self a fresh bottle and pore the little one another 2 fingers of Johnny walker red on the rocks?