Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/15/2010, 12:22 AM   #1
mikeintosh
Mikeintosh

Chiller tripping GFCI issue

I have been running all of my equipment from one wall GFCI outlet for years and hadn't run into any issues since today. I just finished pulling out my skimmer and skimmer pump to clean it, and when I fired everything up again, the outlet tripped and wouldn't reset back on. Through process of elimination, I discovered that when the chiller was plugged in, the reset button wouldn't work.

Can anyone help with narrowing down the issue as to why the chiller would be overloading the outlet all of a sudden? I tried plugging the chiller into a nearby (non-gfci) outlet and the system tripped again. There doesn't seem to be any water leaks or anything. Will a bad chiller fuse cause the tripping?

Is there anything else I should troubleshoot?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

mikeintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Chris27
Registered Member

Did the fuse pop on the chiller?

Chris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2010, 10:33 AM   #3
psteeleb
Registered Member

you may be borderline overloading your breaker

try plugging the chiller into another circuit and if the breaker trips there is likely something wrong with the chiller

if it does not trip you may need to add up all the users on the system and see if you are pushing the breakers limit ( I suspect this is the case) with summer on us the chiller is probably kicking in more and more stressing the circuit to it's limits

breakers will wear out, even if not overloaded sometimes they need to be replaced

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2010, 10:57 AM   #4
mikeintosh
Mikeintosh

I checked the chiller fuse and it doesn't look popped. It's solid white.

I didn't think breakers wore out. If the only thing getting tripped is the wall breaker, then that should be the one that needs replacing, right? Not necessarily the fuse box outside?

I'll try plugging the chiller into another outlet on the other side of the house and see what happens.

Thanks

Unread 06/15/2010, 11:14 AM   #5
BrokeColoReefer
Hermit

Chillers have a pretty big draw. If the GFCI is on the same circuit that you tested the non GFCI outlet on then it will still trip. Take a extension cord and make sure you test it on a completely different circuit. What else is on the GFCI circuit?

BrokeColoReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2010, 01:55 PM   #6
BrokeColoReefer
Hermit

Actually, now that i think about it, doesnt GFCI only protect you from ground faults? I dont think overloading them would trip it. You must have something going on with your chiller. Did it get wet?

BrokeColoReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2010, 09:45 AM   #7
mikeintosh
Mikeintosh

I don't think it got wet. But this whole thing happened after I did a major cleanup and skimmer switched. Not a big space to work in either. So I can't say for sure.

I still have to get around to routing an extension cord maybe from the kitchen and testing the chiller again.

Unread 06/19/2010, 12:18 AM   #8
mikeintosh
Mikeintosh

The chiller turns on without tripping the wall gfci in the kitchen. The LED display works, but the chiller doesn't turn on now. Based on my reading, I wouldn't be able to visually see if the ceramic fuse is blown.

My question is now... would the LED display still light up even with a blown fuse?--I'm really hoping its "yes" so it can be a simple fix... AND can you swap out a glass one (where you can see if it's blown or not) with the existing ceramic one? Don't know if ceramics are supposed to be more heavy-duty.

Thanks

Unread 06/19/2010, 11:37 AM   #9
wickedfish
Moved On

I just went through what your describing and my house is like 3 months old. You have to put your chiller on a seperate circuit than the rest of your things mine was drawing 7 amps and therefore borderline close to the max with the other crap and tripping every time the chiller and halides were powered up. Run a seperate line to where your gonna hook it up with new gfci. I have an uncle who is awesome pm if your interested he might be available he pulled my electric from the 2nd floor to the first under the stairs and it looks like no one even entered the walls at all.

wickedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2010, 03:03 PM   #10
mikeintosh
Mikeintosh

Thanks for the offer, but the problem looks like it might be worse than just a bad fuse or separate power source. Went to HD to replace the fuse and they were able to test it and it seemed to work fine so there may be something busted in the chiller. Really was hoping it was a simple fix.

Unread 09/22/2011, 10:40 AM   #11
ebacon
Registered Member

Exclamation chiller popping GFI

I am having a identical problem. I changed some of my plumbing over the weekend and suddenly my chiller is popping the gfi. I tried a CFI on a diffrent circut and it still pops immidiatly after it is plugged in. This suggests some sort of ground fault...Any suggestions?

Tags
chiller, gfci, tripping