Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2016, 03:52 PM   #1
DemonicReefer
Registered Member

90 gallon plumbing with no valves loud. Need some Suggestions

Ok I'll start by telling you what I have. 90 gallon reef ready tank. Emerald 34 trigger sump. Rodi 3500 dc pump and a standard overflow kit. 1 1/4 drain and 3/4" return. This is my first time running a saltwater tank with a sump I decided against putting and valves in my plumbing. And I had to put a 90" at the bottom of the drain into the sump even though I wanted a 45. Once it got running I found it to be very loud where the drain enters the sump I notice the water almost cavitating inside the hose at the 90 and the water in the overflow go up and down a bit. Not sure if I put a 45 where the 90 is if that would help or do I need a valve... Or to plumb into the second drain of the sump so it flows better and not backing up at the 90 any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.7 KB, 45 views)
DemonicReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 04:12 PM   #2
heathlindner25
Moved On

I would remove the 90 and try to plumb directly to the sump without it.... I would also remove the metal fastener you have attached to the return pump and replace it with some zip ties

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 04:38 PM   #3
DemonicReefer
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice I will definitely remove those from the return pump. And not sure how I would plumb it directly in with out a 45 or 90 that hose is so stiff it would just kink I think. And to put a 45 and a barb on the sump than the hose would kink up top...

DemonicReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 04:49 PM   #4
heathlindner25
Moved On

Get better hose.... and you generally don't want your hose to be clear, you want it to be black so it won't grow stuff inside of it

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, loud, overflow, plumbing