Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/17/2010, 10:06 AM   #351
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amore169 View Post
Wow there's no words to describe how beautiful this house and tank are going to be!!
Thanks amore, I really hope so.

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 10:12 AM   #352
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudio D View Post
Hi

amazing build

regarding your chiller question

I would use for your size a CHiller barrel with 2 independent titanium coils with individual compressors unit, but only one "water" connection, you could run your compressors units out of your house , avoiding noise and heat, and run them compressors independently.

I personally have my 660 gal sistem In Venezuela, A very hot country with a 2 ton barrel.

Your main concern is maintenance of the compressor units, and your controler will use them alternatively, if there is a malfunction, you will have plenty of time to fix one unit while the other keeps the load

tha is my opinion for such a beautifull set up

regards and thanks for inspiring us

you may check tis link http://www.swwilson.com/cooling_system, I bought mine from them and I think they could custom build a double coil unit

Claudio

Caracas Venezuela
Claudio, excellent resource for this question. Thank you very much. If I keep learning at this rate my head is going to burst!!!!! Thanks also for your support.

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 10:26 AM   #353
delphinus
Registered Member

Heh, I'm in software too and something of a fast typer (I would have liked to believe anyhow). Dang it, so THAT's where I've gone wrong!! Ok, from now on, only SLOW typing for me. Well, after this post. I've got a question for you, please and thank you, Peter:

Is the rim lighting on a switch like the room lighting, or a timer, or do you plan to keep it on 24x7?

Many thanks. Cheers!

Current Tank Info: 280g Reef, 65g FOWLR
Unread 03/17/2010, 10:35 AM   #354
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyD91 View Post
Peter is the tank on your main living area. I got thrown off by the kitchen in that room. I was under the assumption that its was in the basement, due to the staircase going up 2 levels.
The design goal for the entire project was to eliminate the sense of 'basement' as we know it. I had one advantage going into this and it was that the basement, before we started was a walk out.

The 'kitchen' is really a bar. Its for entertaining the aquarium guests!!!! My intention is to house some photography equipment with the correct lenses so that a guest can take their own pictures and even print some with the carefully disguised photo printer(didn't see it did ya) to take with them as a memento. There's nothing worse than running into something like this and all you have is a camera phone........so I fixed that!

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 10:41 AM   #355
JonnyD91
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
The design goal for the entire project was to eliminate the sense of 'basement' as we know it. I had one advantage going into this and it was that the basement, before we started was a walk out.

The 'kitchen' is really a bar. Its for entertaining the aquarium guests!!!! My intention is to house some photography equipment with the correct lenses so that a guest can take their own pictures and even print some with the carefully disguised photo printer(didn't see it did ya) to take with them as a memento. There's nothing worse than running into something like this and all you have is a camera phone........so I fixed that!

Peter
so then you must have something up your sleeve for realtime video feeds too

Current Tank Info: 90G Reef - 2 MP40's - Apex Controlled - Reef Octopus PRO-SSS-DC1 Skimmer - 6 Bulb ATI Sunpower
Unread 03/17/2010, 11:18 AM   #356
ezcompany
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
Anybody knows how to vote
" Thread of the month " ???
It is already in consideration

Current Tank Info: IM40
Unread 03/17/2010, 11:25 AM   #357
plyr58
Registered Member

Chiller Question

FWIW, I have some experience in dealing with chillers in large aquariums (>400 gallons). Over the years we have tried several configurations of redundancy in the chiller department for large tanks with intense lighting. The Following were our discoveries:

1. Dual in-line chillers w/ one strictly as a pass through backup.

The problem we ran into in this configuration was accumulation of gunk within the chiller. Over time, some amount of debris built up inside of the chiller andf then we we ran it once every other month or so to ensure its operation in the case of an emergency, the chiller was less effective because of the build up. We eventually abandoned this configuration.

2. Dual chillers running at 50% capacity

The problem here was the increased level of power consumption and maintenance. Two chillers are twice as much to maintain. One more than one occasion we had both chillers fail roughly at the same time, thus defeating the redundancy principle. These types of failures seem to happen at 3AM too, which meant my cell phone was going crazy with controller updates in the middle of the night.

The final solution we settled on was to have a second chiller essentially in standby. We place one chiller inline, with a second identical chiller nearby fed by a mag drive pump placed in the sump. This chiller and pump would only be turned on by the controller in an emergency situation. The controller would alert us of the temperature condition and the activation of the second chiller and we would then go over and swap out the inline chiller with the backup. We would service/ replace the failing chiller and then reinstall it in the backup configuration. Granted, adding a submersible pump to an aquarium adds heat to water you are trying to cool, but the solution was simple and it worked as a stop gap until we could address the situation.

Unread 03/17/2010, 11:25 AM   #358
timdam
Registered Member

builds like these are why i would never post a pic of my tank up here. i would be ashamed of my measely tank.

beautiful house!

Unread 03/17/2010, 12:03 PM   #359
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphinus View Post
Heh, I'm in software too and something of a fast typer (I would have liked to believe anyhow). Dang it, so THAT's where I've gone wrong!! Ok, from now on, only SLOW typing for me. Well, after this post. I've got a question for you, please and thank you, Peter:

Is the rim lighting on a switch like the room lighting, or a timer, or do you plan to keep it on 24x7?

Many thanks. Cheers!
Yeah, its the slowest that.......never mind.

The lighting system which is the Phillips high intensity LED is an extremely high end system that has an intelligent controller that talks to intelligent hubs via Ethernet. The wall switch is controlled by POE and has buttons for eight user selectable programs. The system can be controlled by a variety of intelligent devices including a PC or as in my case the lutron radio RA II system so that the various lighting programs will sync to the activity in the room. One clear design goal was to be able to create the colour frequency and intensity of the coral sea on a 24hr basis. I want my coral to feel at home!!!!

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 12:10 PM   #360
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyD91 View Post
so then you must have something up your sleeve for realtime video feeds too
See I'm right, once your attitude is adjusted in the right direction the process is driven by inevitable discovery. Yes there will be two HD web cams, I'm just waiting for James Cameron to get back to me on the state of 3D technology for this purpose. I want everyone here to be able to project this into their living rooms and totally share the enjoyment with me.

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 12:19 PM   #361
crvz
Team RC Member

Quote:
In many respects it looks better esthetically than the space station.
Having been involved with its development and implementation for years, I can assure you there is nothing aesthetical about the space station.

Quote:
Yes there will be two HD web cams, I'm just waiting for James Cameron to get back to me on the state of 3D technology for this purpose. I want everyone here to be able to project this into their living rooms and totally share the enjoyment with me.
Sounds like a treat, to be sure. Thanks for sharing all this with us, it's benchmarks like these that truly push the advancement of the hobby.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
Unread 03/17/2010, 12:59 PM   #362
iluzhun
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a number of chillers but so far only one dedicated to the main display tank. Without starting a debate if possible and as I begin to plan around various single points of failure..........

How should I place the second chiller:

On the shelf as a ready spare?

In line with the spare passively standing on standby?

Run the two of them together at 50% all the time?

Run the two of them together at 100%?

Before anyone asks brand names etc. I am very interested in the rational for the positioning before we get into discussions about which brands are best. We'll get there but lets deal with the science first. I'm sort of hoping the answer is logical and endorsed as an obvious best practice by most in this community.................but that isn't gonna happen is it?

Peter

Being as I work in a hospital as an engineer and have faced the same questions I feel I may be able to help here. I would recomend having 2 chillers both capable of cooling the entire system individually running at apx 80-85%, with 2 pumps. I would always have 1 set at apx 2 degrees higher than the one online (this could be done through your controler). That would facilitate 2 things. First you would have completely automatic redundancy. and allow you to run your chillers at a reasonable efficiency as chillers like to run loaded. I would switch the lead chiller once a month. This would ensure even run time and allow you to make sure both systems work.

There are times when the only choices you have left are bad ones

That's not a unicorn.. It's a donkey with a plunger stuck to it's face

Current Tank Info: filled with salt water
Unread 03/17/2010, 01:04 PM   #363
Penguintheory
Registered Member

You have an amazing house and aquarium I will be following this build for sure!

Unread 03/17/2010, 04:37 PM   #364
Posidion
Coral Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyr58 View Post

The final solution we settled on was to have a second chiller essentially in standby. We place one chiller inline, with a second identical chiller nearby fed by a mag drive pump placed in the sump. This chiller and pump would only be turned on by the controller in an emergency situation. The controller would alert us of the temperature condition and the activation of the second chiller and we would then go over and swap out the inline chiller with the backup. We would service/ replace the failing chiller and then reinstall it in the backup configuration. Granted, adding a submersible pump to an aquarium adds heat to water you are trying to cool, but the solution was simple and it worked as a stop gap until we could address the situation.
this one has my vote, it seems to be the best solution as chillers do not like to run idle or at low rates effiency curves definatly dont follow the work smarter not harder philosiphy. they simply are work horses.

Unread 03/17/2010, 04:51 PM   #365
Givatcho
Registered Member

Why not run your intake ro water through a refugium so that it will cool your tank and increase the water temp of your ro to a closer temp of around 70 degrees so that you maximize your ro membranes? This would help to not utilize your chillers as much.

Unread 03/17/2010, 05:24 PM   #366
J.P.Reef
Registered Member

WOW i've never seem so many posts in such a short time. Amazing build. Tagging along

Unread 03/17/2010, 05:45 PM   #367
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcompany View Post
It is already in consideration
Way, waaaaaaay too early guys but thanks. Again, not false modesty its just at this stage far too many folks are going to think this is all about money and its not. Only time and patience will give me a chance to make that point with any integrity.

Fact is, I'm just coming to terms with the understanding that this tank really does belong to everyone here. No CRVZ this does not mean you can move in, unless you are a tall blond female who believes deep down that Tiger is a good person. By the time the dust settles on this project there will be a number of attributes that have come from members on this forum partly because I'm a good student and mostly that there are a disproportionate number of excellent coaches on this thread.

But thanks guys........

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 05:49 PM   #368
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdam View Post
builds like these are why i would never post a pic of my tank up here. i would be ashamed of my measely tank.

beautiful house!
Tim, If its a small tank that's poorly managed then you might have a point but if its a small tank that has been managed with good practices and intentions then its criminal not to share!!!!!!

Thanks for the support......

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 05:49 PM   #369
davidchmaus
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Way, waaaaaaay too early guys but thanks. Again, not false modesty its just at this stage far too many folks are going to think this is all about money and its not. Only time and patience will give me a chance to make that point with any integrity.

Fact is, I'm just coming to terms with the understanding that this tank really does belong to everyone here. No CRVZ this does not mean you can move in, unless you are a tall blond female who believes deep down that Tiger is a good person. By the time the dust settles on this project there will be a number of attributes that have come from members on this forum partly because I'm a good student and mostly that there are a disproportionate number of excellent coaches on this thread.

But thanks guys........

Peter

Speaking of Tiger. I am soooo fired up that he is playing the Masters and I think deep down he is a good guy.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Fowlr 24 Gallon Cube Rimless Reef
Unread 03/17/2010, 05:53 PM   #370
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluzhun View Post
Being as I work in a hospital as an engineer and have faced the same questions I feel I may be able to help here. I would recomend having 2 chillers both capable of cooling the entire system individually running at apx 80-85%, with 2 pumps. I would always have 1 set at apx 2 degrees higher than the one online (this could be done through your controler). That would facilitate 2 things. First you would have completely automatic redundancy. and allow you to run your chillers at a reasonable efficiency as chillers like to run loaded. I would switch the lead chiller once a month. This would ensure even run time and allow you to make sure both systems work.
Thanks iluzhun, I can't bekieve the excellent quality of advice I have been getting...........This is an option that just might be considered as the physical layout of my fish room is materializing.

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 06:00 PM   #371
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyr58 View Post
FWIW, I have some experience in dealing with chillers in large aquariums (>400 gallons). Over the years we have tried several configurations of redundancy in the chiller department for large tanks with intense lighting. The Following were our discoveries:

1. Dual in-line chillers w/ one strictly as a pass through backup.

The problem we ran into in this configuration was accumulation of gunk within the chiller. Over time, some amount of debris built up inside of the chiller andf then we we ran it once every other month or so to ensure its operation in the case of an emergency, the chiller was less effective because of the build up. We eventually abandoned this configuration.

2. Dual chillers running at 50% capacity

The problem here was the increased level of power consumption and maintenance. Two chillers are twice as much to maintain. One more than one occasion we had both chillers fail roughly at the same time, thus defeating the redundancy principle. These types of failures seem to happen at 3AM too, which meant my cell phone was going crazy with controller updates in the middle of the night.

Again, this is great stuff. You also raise a good point that has increasingly become a topic of conversation around here.........and that, believe it or not is about GUNK. How much of an issue is it for the drains......and is it an issue that is easily identified in an open system, if so where? What do I do to minimize it and can it actually be avoided?

Thanks for taking the time, its hugely valuable.

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 06:04 PM   #372
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguintheory View Post
You have an amazing house and aquarium I will be following this build for sure!
Thanks Penguintheory (you guys need shorter handles), welcome to our commmunity.

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 06:06 PM   #373
erics3000
Registered Member

I also deal with medical equipment. Iluzhun has given you great advice. The fact that you have both online and switch the master back and forth every month or so, is really the best solution. If you have a NEW one sitting on the shelf it is not really tested. NEW= Never Ever Worked. How long will it take you to connect and install. In the medical field with equipment that is run hard long hours of the day there really is no other solution. With equipment going down for clinics hospitals or whatever hours can mean tens of thousands of dollars.

Evan if it both are installed wired and plumbed with valves you can always switch some valves and depending on your controller. As long as this happens when some one is around if your not. You might also want to someone you can trust who is familar with your system to watch things while you are away.

Do you have a link to your media room build???hahhah

(Red House for my 300 display 600 system)

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon system with 300 display
Unread 03/17/2010, 06:09 PM   #374
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givatcho View Post
Why not run your intake ro water through a refugium so that it will cool your tank and increase the water temp of your ro to a closer temp of around 70 degrees so that you maximize your ro membranes? This would help to not utilize your chillers as much.
Actually Givatcho that advice came up earlier and I had a discussion with John on how we might do this. I think it makes a ton of sense on every level. So if we keep this between me and you and don't tell anybody else, you can claim credit for this one.......unless the original poster is still lurking around.

But your initiative is exactly how we make a better overall result. Thanks.

Peter

Unread 03/17/2010, 06:12 PM   #375
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pereira View Post
WOW i've never seem so many posts in such a short time. Amazing build. Tagging along
Me neither, I'm exhausted. I feel like I'm at the two finger Olympics and at this rate I'm never getting in the medal lineup for sure.

Peter

Last edited by nineball; 03/17/2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Closed Thread