Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/14/2010, 12:49 PM   #201
delphinus
Registered Member

Been watching this thread for a while. I am somewhat undecided on whether this is an epic build, or epic insanity. Perhaps a little bit of both! ... Enjoy the ride as you go with this, good luck. You have planned out in exquisite detail every imaginable facet, yet, and I suppose you realize this already, but there will always be surprises (both pleasant and unpleasant). My sense of wonderment here is in anticipation of what those surprises will play out to be, over time.

One caution: You should know that people who start out in reefing, end up thinking "Boy, I wish I had gone bigger right away" or start dreaming up their upgrades after 6 months or so. I have not seen too many exceptions to this rule. So, um .. yah. Keep that upgrade box nearby at all times.

Current Tank Info: 280g Reef, 65g FOWLR
Unread 03/14/2010, 01:07 PM   #202
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1977 View Post
very very impressive, so impressive i joined this site and subscribed
DNB, to say I am honoured would be sincere. Thank you and ReefCentral thanks you as well I'm sure. Welcome to our community.

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 01:11 PM   #203
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphinus View Post
Been watching this thread for a while. I am somewhat undecided on whether this is an epic build, or epic insanity. Perhaps a little bit of both! ... Enjoy the ride as you go with this, good luck. You have planned out in exquisite detail every imaginable facet, yet, and I suppose you realize this already, but there will always be surprises (both pleasant and unpleasant). My sense of wonderment here is in anticipation of what those surprises will play out to be, over time.

One caution: You should know that people who start out in reefing, end up thinking "Boy, I wish I had gone bigger right away" or start dreaming up their upgrades after 6 months or so. I have not seen too many exceptions to this rule. So, um .. yah. Keep that upgrade box nearby at all times.
Washrooms on the right, drugs on the left.........Keep the line moving please!!!I seem to recall this ticket was for the roller coaster at the outset but senility keeps me from remembering how long. more later.....welcome aboard.

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 02:37 PM   #204
Rascalson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Perhaps we could hide a second RO/DI unit and storage tank under the stairs for one end of the tank......

Additional RO/DI unit..

Quote:
I have enough other tanks planned that will provide for a long and uneventful life 'if they do their work'........
Other tanks....

Sounds like foretellings of additional large containers of salt water

Unread 03/14/2010, 06:09 PM   #205
the_rider
Registered Member

Wow !! A really nice build !

Thank you for sharing that with us and taking time to answer all the questions and document the process as well

Which RO/DI unit are you going to use ? Is it an industrial one ? It probably already bought but you could take a look into the Aquaticlife power, which has an electronic device to auto-flush, and tell you went the cartouches need to be change, and a booster pump. I think the unit with two membranes is running around 600 gpd.

I'm looking at your thread a couple of time a day in case there is an update

Alex B

Marinetech 3200 GPH
Deltec SC2560
Tunze 2x6105, 2x6055
2xKoralia 4 (In sump)
Profilux III
ATI Sunpower 6x54W + BLAU 6x54W

FRAG :
Miracles Custom Rimless (24x24x12)
Illumagic M-60S
Koralia 4

Live:
Fish :One Spot Foxface, CBB, Trio of Royal Gramma, Borbonius Anthias, Multicolor Angel, Multifasciatus Angel, Semi-Picasso Pair
Unread 03/14/2010, 07:14 PM   #206
salty55
Registered Member

suscribed

Unread 03/14/2010, 07:15 PM   #207
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascalson View Post
Additional RO/DI unit..

Other tanks....

Sounds like foretellings of additional large containers of salt water
yeah, but lets make that our secret ok??

don't tell anyone.

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 07:31 PM   #208
solareclisped
Registered Member

Well thanks for recommending Chingchai's thread. I just finished it and it was totally worth the read. It is absolutely amazing. I am sure if you are following his principles yours will be amazing also and I cant wait to see more. I will be around.

Unread 03/14/2010, 07:37 PM   #209
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rider View Post
Wow !! A really nice build !

Thank you for sharing that with us and taking time to answer all the questions and document the process as well

Which RO/DI unit are you going to use ? Is it an industrial one ? It probably already bought but you could take a look into the Aquaticlife power, which has an electronic device to auto-flush, and tell you went the cartouches need to be change, and a booster pump. I think the unit with two membranes is running around 600 gpd.

I'm looking at your thread a couple of time a day in case there is an update

Alex B
Thanks Alex, The RO/DI archetecture is still in debate. There are two units currently planned that produce 75gpd for a total of 150. They are split into two units one for sw production and one for top off. However, I think I am severely underpowered for the inevitable peak requirements so a commercial unit is probably in my future. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it.

Peter

Its good to have La Belle Province represented!

Unread 03/14/2010, 07:51 PM   #210
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solareclisped View Post
Well thanks for recommending Chingchai's thread. I just finished it and it was totally worth the read. It is absolutely amazing. I am sure if you are following his principles yours will be amazing also and I cant wait to see more. I will be around.
Thank you for taking the time to do that. It was the most incredible experience for me to follow it every day while it was happening......I still do. I'm hoping others do as well because it will be easier to identify the other grand masters when its time to do so. I also recommend David Saxby's journey as well. There is also a number of fascinating interviews on utube with David well worth seeing if you get a chance. Finding two other candidates and discussing the relative merits in the same league as Chingchai and David is a worthwhile aspiration for all of us.

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 08:06 PM   #211
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty55 View Post
suscribed
welcome to the group.

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 09:38 PM   #212
Elliott
Registered Member

here is a website for a 1700g reef, he includes a section of what he would do differently...

http://energyreef.com/index.html

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Unread 03/14/2010, 10:33 PM   #213
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
here is a website for a 1700g reef, he includes a section of what he would do differently...

http://energyreef.com/index.html
Thank you Elliott, although I was familiar with the tank the summary was extremely helpful. I did not know that RO/DI units loose 50% effeciency at temp less than 70 degrees. That's very helpful for someone who has to generate enough salt water to float the Titanic.

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 10:42 PM   #214
palmer373
Registered Member

I just skimmed over chings thread and wow i wish i had time to read it! i hop eyour tank will look like his some day!

Unread 03/14/2010, 10:49 PM   #215
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer373 View Post
I just skimmed over chings thread and wow i wish i had time to read it! i hop eyour tank will look like his some day!
Palmer Thank you. I do know that at least one quarter of the tank will for sure!!!

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 10:52 PM   #216
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
That's very helpful for someone who has to generate enough salt water to float the Titanic.

Peter
lol

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Unread 03/15/2010, 08:13 AM   #217
nineball
Registered Member

OK Time to go to the bear pit!!!!

right, I forgot it's fish, again!!!

Wrong door, the fish room is definately not ready for prime time yet......

Moving thing around doesn't seem to help either

I have gotta clean this up before my wife sees this!!!

This is where Chinchai's Island will be......it's eight feet wide and I just have to figure out how to capture the same rock formations with half the height. My wife still thinks this is a bookcase.

as long as I can keep her from turning the corner.........

Opps I forgot this side........

I think I better rethink this.......I'm ready for a rest......back upstairs!!!

Unread 03/15/2010, 08:36 AM   #218
nineball
Registered Member

I thought at one point I would have this in my tank. It's at least two hundred years old and would blend in with the rustic ambiance...........But then I started to wonder.......that was before the internet.........how could the boatmaker know all the details? There are no plans in existance for this boat, so how did this guy know? Nope, no tank for you my friend......nothing artificial. Too bad really, I kinda like the idea.......

Unread 03/15/2010, 08:52 AM   #219
Bax
Premium Member

Quote:
My wife still thinks this is a bookcase.
Classic!

The staircase is a spectacular element and then to end with a view of this tank! WOW!

Current Tank Info: 150 DT/ 40B fuge/ 75g frag/ 40 g sump/ SRO XP 3000 Ext/ TUNZEs & VorTechs circulation/Dart return/ MTC Pro Cal/ UV & Oz
Unread 03/15/2010, 09:42 AM   #220
cloakerpoked
Registered Member

I was thrilled to see the last batch of pictures. Kudos to your architect for sure!

I'm sure you have considered this, and again it is probably pre-mature to ask, but do you have a plan to deal with the massive humidity that your tank(s) will be throwing into your air in your newly drywalled basement.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon cube SPS/LPS reef
Unread 03/15/2010, 09:48 AM   #221
TheMikey
Registered Member

Subscribed to this thread a while back (on page 2!), but just had the time to go through it this morning between my break at school. Looks like an absolutely fantastic build.

But more than that, can I add that I love your philosophy on Reefkeeping?

Big or small (tank size and/or budget ) we all have the ability to take a disciplined and intensive approach to create the natural wonder of the ocean. I'm looking forward to following this build as close as possible. Keep up the exceptional work!

Unread 03/15/2010, 10:59 AM   #222
Tonyzoo
Premium Member

Quote:
I thought at one point I would have this in my tank. It's at least two hundred years old and would blend in with the rustic ambiance...........But then I started to wonder.......that was before the internet.........how could the boatmaker know all the details? There are no plans in existance for this boat, so how did this guy know? Nope, no tank for you my friend......nothing artificial. Too bad really, I kinda like the idea.......

Wow, that ship is amazing. I bet that painting above it is pretty sweet too. Is it my imagination or is that painting a coat rack?

Unread 03/15/2010, 11:39 AM   #223
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
Classic!

The staircase is a spectacular element and then to end with a view of this tank! WOW!
Thank you, at some point I plan to start a thread with the heading.......

"things I told my wife about this thing before I had to tell her it was an aquarium" .

Peter

Unread 03/15/2010, 11:52 AM   #224
Untamed12
Registered Member

Quote:

as long as I can keep her from turning the corner.........

Wow...I didn't realize how you'll have viewing from both sides of that enormous tank. I like that part of the plan.

It is unfortunate that that supporting post is just not in the best spot, eh?

Keep the updates coming!

Current Tank Info: 400gal Envision Acrylic reef started 04/07
Unread 03/15/2010, 12:16 PM   #225
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakerpoked View Post
I was thrilled to see the last batch of pictures. Kudos to your architect for sure!

I'm sure you have considered this, and again it is probably pre-mature to ask, but do you have a plan to deal with the massive humidity that your tank(s) will be throwing into your air in your newly drywalled basement.
You know Cloakerpoked, I can't believe this either but you are the first to raise the issue in this thread. It certainly was/is/and will continue to be the dominant issue that accompanied me from the birth of this idea. There's allot of stuff yet to come before you will see the first cup of water or candle light go near the tank. I do have a very extensive suite of measures to ensure that the humidity and remote possibility of creeping mold long after I personally and without any aid solve the algorithm for the rubics cube. I believe thats more than 42 quintillion permutations. I will be covering that issue under the chapter "ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROLS" or why not build a house and just drop it on the great barrier reef!!!

Peter

Closed Thread