Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/10/2013, 11:31 PM   #26
acesq
Registered Member

The sump room is a work in progress. I still need to set up the frag tank, QT, DaStaCo, ATO, water change station, and, of course the APEX to control it all.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 12/10/2013, 11:33 PM   #27
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRThompson View Post
love that flexible pvc pipe, use it in my tank also. Tank is coming along GREAT, are those DC pumps in the closed loop?
Thanks Doc. Yes, they are BlueEco 240W marine pumps. Incredibly powerful and quiet to boot (unless, like me, you accidentally run one with the output closed for 5 minutes, then it creates an annoying clicking noise. I'm going to have to get a new impeller for that one)

Unread 12/11/2013, 10:26 AM   #28
tredreef
Registered Member

I LOVE the CeramEco rock. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind?

1. How long did it take for you to receive the rock after ordering it?
2. How are you liking the way it looks up close? it looks great from afar.
3. Other than the DC pumps (waveline?) what are you doing for flow management? ie. oceanmotions?

Ok, that's it, everything is looking really good, keep it up.

tredreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2013, 11:14 PM   #29
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredreef View Post
I LOVE the CeramEco rock. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind?

1. How long did it take for you to receive the rock after ordering it?
2. How are you liking the way it looks up close? it looks great from afar.
3. Other than the DC pumps (waveline?) what are you doing for flow management? ie. oceanmotions?

Ok, that's it, everything is looking really good, keep it up.
I bought the structure at Reefapalooza so no wait at all. I did order some other pieces, including the ones under the arch and to either side, from Aquarium Specialty. They had them in stock so I got them in a few days.

The rock looks every bit as good up close. I hope to have it covered in corals one day though.

The DC pumps are BlueEco and are controllable through my Apex. I plan to alternate the flow from the three pumps to create a pulsing gyre, this way I can go without an oceanmotions. One pump outputs to three of the bottom omniflex fitting, one to the other three and the third through the Mocean at the top of the waterline. The two bottom outputs will ramp up opposite each other and the Mocean will sweep across the top toward the overflow. Each pump can put out over 6000 gallons per hour at full power, the return is on another Mocean and is putting out about 1500 GPH. I'm hoping this implementation is enough to keep SPS happy.

Unread 01/14/2014, 11:13 PM   #30
acesq
Registered Member

Time for an update

I thought I would update the thread with pictures of the progress of the build so far.

I set up the DaStaCo calcium reactor and so far so good. It went together pretty easily other than a small leak from one of the fittings.

[IMG][/IMG]

I also set up the dual head Stenner peristaltic pump for daily automatic water changes. I still need to connect it to the Apex to program it to do 5 gal. per day water changes. Until then, I manually turn in on for an hour or so a day. I absolutely love this thing.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the entire sump room, the frag tank is to the left and the refugium to the right. I have quite a bit of wire management to do...

[IMG][/IMG]

Close ups of the frag tank and refugium. Over the frag tank I have an AI Hydra.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally, a few pics of the DT cabinetry. Still need knobs for the doors, but I'm quite happy with the finished product.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 01/14/2014, 11:24 PM   #31
EJPLV
Registered Member

Amazing work, I absolutely love the motorized light rack. Thanks for the update!

EJPLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2014, 11:40 PM   #32
DRThompson
2018 FMAS President

great update, tank looks AMAZING!

PS - love your automated water change system

Current Tank Info: 180gal mixed reef, asm g4xx, LED lights, apex, 65gal sump, 2x mp40's, methanol denitrator
DRThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2014, 01:07 PM   #33
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRThompson View Post
PS - love your automated water change system
Credit where due Dave! Thank you for the idea. I love it.

Unread 01/15/2014, 02:52 PM   #34
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Great looking tank.

I have always wondered how the tankmakers can properly seal a PVC bottom into a glass tank. Cannot imagine silicone adheres well to PVC, but clearly it works!

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2014, 05:01 PM   #35
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Great looking tank.

I have always wondered how the tankmakers can properly seal a PVC bottom into a glass tank. Cannot imagine silicone adheres well to PVC, but clearly it works!
So far so good. I don't think the same adhesion issues are present with PVC as with Acrylic (although the eurobrace is acrylic and is adhered with silicone!), but for additional strength, the edge of the PVC is routed to accept the glass panel. This creates almost double the surface area for adhesion.

Unread 01/15/2014, 06:47 PM   #36
nikunjpatel
Registered Member

very cool. Where you able to score the calcium reactor? is there a north american supplier?

thanks

nik

nikunjpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2014, 07:17 PM   #37
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikunjpatel View Post
very cool. Where you able to score the calcium reactor? is there a north american supplier?

thanks

nik
I bought it directly from the manufacturer in Belgium. I wish there were a north American supplier, the shipping costs were almost as much as the unit.

Unread 01/15/2014, 09:26 PM   #38
Reef or Die
Registered Member

One word- awesome!!
Great build. Love the stand, , sump room and everything else. Real nice job!

Reef or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2014, 08:05 AM   #39
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJPLV View Post
Amazing work, I absolutely love the motorized light rack. Thanks for the update!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef or Die View Post
One word- awesome!!
Great build. Love the stand, , sump room and everything else. Real nice job!
Thanks!

Unread 01/16/2014, 08:36 AM   #40
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
So far so good. I don't think the same adhesion issues are present with PVC as with Acrylic (although the eurobrace is acrylic and is adhered with silicone!), but for additional strength, the edge of the PVC is routed to accept the glass panel. This creates almost double the surface area for adhesion.
Ah, OK, I see that now from some of your earlier pictures. Did you just silicone the bulkheads in the bottom PVC panel or actually solvent weld them? AGE makes some really nice tanks.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2014, 09:42 AM   #41
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Ah, OK, I see that now from some of your earlier pictures. Did you just silicone the bulkheads in the bottom PVC panel or actually solvent weld them? AGE makes some really nice tanks.
I did put a bead of silicone around each bulkhead for additional security. Probably not necessary, but its priceless for peace of mind.

Unread 01/16/2014, 07:45 PM   #42
TankWater
Registered Member

Very NICE! I like the way your external overflow is on the end and the cabinet design allows easy access to it. I see one problem tho, I'm guessing that in time you will wish you had made the tank longer and carried it out to the end of the wall. hahaha I had debated for months about 8' or 10' length. I went 8 because I just could not justify paying twice the price on the tank (acrylic) for the extra 2'. Now I wish I had!

Also, I'm still on the fence about the DC pumps and look forward to reading your opinion on the pumps after you fire them up.

TankWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2014, 11:47 PM   #43
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankWater View Post
Very NICE! I like the way your external overflow is on the end and the cabinet design allows easy access to it. I see one problem tho, I'm guessing that in time you will wish you had made the tank longer and carried it out to the end of the wall. hahaha I had debated for months about 8' or 10' length. I went 8 because I just could not justify paying twice the price on the tank (acrylic) for the extra 2'. Now I wish I had!

Also, I'm still on the fence about the DC pumps and look forward to reading your opinion on the pumps after you fire them up.
Haha! Fortunately, I did not have the choice. I was maxed out at that length, the roof is held up by the column at the end of the tank. Actually, I'm finding the length difficult to deal with as far as flow goes. As things stand, the rockwork is leveling out the flow about 3/4 the way down the tank in the upper quarter of the water column so that its pretty laminar by the time it gets to the last foot or two before the overflow. I will either move the upper CL Mocean return to the middle of the tank pointing toward the overflow or re-position a couple of the bottom CL returns. I'll play with it this weekend. I have no doubt that with the 3 DC CL pumps and the Mocean I can create chaotic flow throughout the water column, but the design was to create a gyre across the bottom and over the top. I'd hate to abandon that, but the most important thing is to keep the SPS happy. I haven't yet hooked the pumps up to the APEX. I'll see what kind of water movement I can create by ramping them up and down.

As for the DC pumps, they are pretty great, a bit of a high pitched whine, but not bad at all. The CL Pumps and overflow generate on 48 dB of noise and I can still quiet the overflow a bit more. They put out TONS of flow. I am at about 75% and they are really moving the water. So far so good. The next test is durability.

Unread 01/17/2014, 12:52 AM   #44
Arkayology
Registered Member

Awesome build so far. It sucks that you lost your house, but you are right that the tank/sump room is the silver lining!

in between tanks
Arkayology is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2014, 07:39 AM   #45
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

Well done build truly enjoy seeing builds of quality installs Would you mind PMing me where you picked up your calcium reactor set up?

Aquatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2014, 08:04 AM   #46
Pife
Registered Member

Your build looks great. I was wondering if you would mind sharing where you got your lifting winch at and who the manufacturer is? Happy reefing.

Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2014, 10:18 AM   #47
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatron View Post
Well done build truly enjoy seeing builds of quality installs Would you mind PMing me where you picked up your calcium reactor set up?
Check your PM.

Aquamarinesupply"dot"be will get you to the manufacturer's website for anybody else interested

Unread 01/17/2014, 10:27 AM   #48
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Your build looks great. I was wondering if you would mind sharing where you got your lifting winch at and who the manufacturer is? Happy reefing.
I'm using the FA-200-TR-24-20 linear actuator from Firgelli automations. They offer a ton of different options. I wanted the 20" travel and 200lbs lifting force.

Unread 01/17/2014, 10:30 AM   #49
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
Awesome build so far. It sucks that you lost your house, but you are right that the tank/sump room is the silver lining!
True that! I've almost forgotten the fire. (Except when I'm looking for some little item that I kept in that place over there, whoops, no, its gone...)

Unread 01/17/2014, 10:40 AM   #50
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
I'm using the FA-200-TR-24-20 linear actuator from Firgelli automations. They offer a ton of different options. I wanted the 20" travel and 200lbs lifting force.

Thanks. They have a ton of options and look first class.

Pife is offline   Reply With Quote