Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/12/2014, 05:10 PM   #1
xkon
Registered Member

CUC for aggressive tank?

I have a 60gallon tank cycling right now. I plan on a jeweled moray eel and dwarf lion fish. So I have a few questions:

Can I get a clean up crew with this stocking list? If so what should I specifically look at getting?

If not, should I start stocking with the lion and eel when ammonia and nitrites reach zero? The ammonia is almost at zero but the nitrites are still rising.

So once there are only nitrates, do a water change and add the CUC if you guys say it is okay then wait a few weeks to stock the others?

Thanks for all the help guys

xkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2014, 12:37 AM   #2
arashsheikhpoor
Registered Member

Maybe a long spine sea urchin? My dwarf never touched my hermits or snails.

arashsheikhpoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2014, 02:40 AM   #3
kw22
Registered Member

I would get some kind of urchin and see how a couple snails and hermits get on.

Current Tank Info: All freshwater at the moment.Hoping to set up a marine tank in the future.
kw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2014, 04:02 PM   #4
xkon
Registered Member

I was thinking about an urchin of some sort. So you guys would recommend getting the urchin before the eel and lion fish then correct? What kind of species snails would you suggest? any thoughts on a cowrie?

Unread 09/14/2014, 02:47 AM   #5
kw22
Registered Member

Urchins need established tanks.I would add in the lionfish first,then the long spine urchin and lastly the eel.But that's just my opinion.

For snails,the cowrie can be a hit and miss as far as I know.

I think nassarius snails would be good option.I would get a small group

Netrite snails are another good option,throw in a few of them and 4-6 blue legged hermits

That's what I would do,but others may disagree.I would wait for some other opinions too

I had to edit due to spelling mistakes - sent from iphone.

Current Tank Info: All freshwater at the moment.Hoping to set up a marine tank in the future.
Unread 09/14/2014, 08:55 PM   #6
xkon
Registered Member

Cool appreciate it. With the CUC should I add some additional food such as sinking pellets to the tank as there would be no other fish that would have left over food for them to eat or what is in the tank would be enough(if there is anything)?

Unread 09/15/2014, 12:50 AM   #7
kw22
Registered Member

Good question

I am not sure on others opinions,but I would personally add in as little algae wafer and maybe some meaty sinking foods every week or two.This will increase your ammonia and nitrates.

Unread 09/15/2014, 09:40 AM   #8
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

We don't feed our algae-eating snails, but I do target feed the hermits and Nassarius every so often.

HTH

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
namxas is offline   Reply With Quote