Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2019, 07:46 PM   #1
djryan2000
Registered Member

Sustaining a dragonet

I really would love to add a dragonet in my 20-gallon tank.. except there's the obvious issue of feeding it in a tank that small.

If I were to take a 10 gal tank, add cheato / a refugium light and seed that tank with pods, add phytoplankton habitually and have marine pure block in it could I generate the pod population to habitually add the pods to my 20-gallon tank?

I would purchase a captive bred one and try to get it to accept frozen if that affects anything - I've heard captive bred ones are a lot easier.

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2019, 05:29 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/no

Unread 12/12/2019, 11:20 AM   #3
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

i'm not going to say it can't be done in a tank that small, but it would be very difficult and it cuts your margin of error down to nothing.

to me, one of the best parts of the dragonets is that in an appropriately sized tank, they're hands off. i've had mine for about 7 years now, and she's never needed additional feeding.

really the smallest tank i would be comfortable with them being easily kept in is about the 55g size, with a fuge. a 40b with a large fuge, maybe if it had good rockwork, and no competition. but a 20 gallon with only a 10 gallon fuge? nah, that's not a good recipe for long term success.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2019, 03:53 PM   #4
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I saw someone on Youtube claim it would work.. as they say if it sounds too good to be true it probably ishttps://reefcentral.com/forums/image...ies/jester.gif

Unread 12/12/2019, 03:55 PM   #5
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
i'm not going to say it can't be done in a tank that small, but it would be very difficult and it cuts your margin of error down to nothing.

to me, one of the best parts of the dragonets is that in an appropriately sized tank, they're hands off. i've had mine for about 7 years now, and she's never needed additional feeding.

really the smallest tank i would be comfortable with them being easily kept in is about the 55g size, with a fuge. a 40b with a large fuge, maybe if it had good rockwork, and no competition. but a 20 gallon with only a 10 gallon fuge? nah, that's not a good recipe for long term success.
Thank you. I saw a YT video claiming that worked and was hoping it was correct. Looks like I'll have to hold off on my manderin

Unread 12/15/2019, 09:51 AM   #6
tomreefer
Registered Member

They need a lot of pods and in that small tank would be impossible to keep up pod population.

tomreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2019, 10:10 AM   #7
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

I would look for one that is available through Divers Den since you know it will be eating prepared foods. My tank is exploding with pods but I would worry about the mandarin starving to death eventually

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote