Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2018, 04:15 PM   #1
McCune
Registered Member

Double trouble 2 tanks

So I started my Cadlights 50 long at the beginning of the year. I had a large 210 in the garage that was taking up to much space. Sold that and was able to find a Cadlights 100. Both tanks are on piano white stands. I am trying to decide if I should keep these two tanks separate or plumb them both together. If I do that I can run one large skimmer instead of two smaller ones, and it would be the same with all the other equipment. I have never plumbed two tanks together before. Let me know what you think.

McCune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 04:41 PM   #2
outssider
Registered Member

would cut down on testing, dosing lots of stuff but on the minus side if something goes a stray.....it hits both tanks......I think if both are close together I'd go for it

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 04:47 PM   #3
McCune
Registered Member

They will be close and the laundry room is behind it so I can do my mixing station in there with all the tank controllers

Unread 02/25/2018, 04:43 AM   #4
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

The 125g is a Cadlight tank & stand. The 50g cube is homemade and the stand is a reinforced kitchen cabinet for under a sink. They are plumbed together to the sump of the Cadlight.

You can see how I did it in my build thread here at RC.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2593017

Unread 02/25/2018, 07:28 AM   #5
McCune
Registered Member

Thank you for the info. Setup looks great by the way.

Unread 02/25/2018, 07:17 PM   #6
BrettDS
Registered Member

Double trouble 2 tanks

There are advantages and disadvantages to each. If you’re putting something in the second tank that requires different water parameters, such as seahorses that need a lower temperature then plumbing then together wouldn’t be possible. If you were doing a fish only tank for the second tank then you wouldn’t really need as high of alkalinity and calcium in that tank and it might cost a little extra in supplements to keep high levels in a larger volume of water. Feeding a fish only tank may produce more nitrates and phosphates than you want in your reef.

But plumbing them together gives you a larger water capacity, which can help keep things stable. It also allows for less maintenance as you only need to do water changes and water parameter tests once and maintain one skimmer and other equipment.

If you do plumb them together you might need a little larger sump because in a power failure it would need to be able to contain all the water that back flows from both tanks.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 07:37 PM   #7
Ruu
Registered Member

Definitely possible. I had 2 93 gallon cubes right next to one another so that I could have a 180 with different fish on either side. I plumbed them together to a single remote sump 15 feet away and it worked as well as any tank I've had for the last 15 years. I even had a 4" pvc u that I sucked the air out of to form a water bridge between the two main tanks - my flame angel used to move between the two tanks all day.

Unfortunately photobucket decided to mess with all of the images on that build thread, otherwise I would link to it.

Dave

Ruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 07:55 PM   #8
McCune
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice I’m definitely going to go for it. One tank all anemones the other tank will be a mixed reef

Unread 02/27/2018, 07:56 PM   #9
McCune
Registered Member

I like the idea of have two tanks two sets of nice clowns an other fish that May not be able to coexist.

Unread 02/27/2018, 08:20 PM   #10
Daddi0
Registered Member

I have 2 tanks plumbed into the same sump and a 30 cryptic refugium plumbed into the system as well. I love it, If I need to move a coral for a bit, i just pop it in the other tank. Less testing with one system and I dose into the sump so all the tanks eventually even out.
Cheers! Mark
I am curious about the water bridge RUU mentioned