Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2018, 03:35 PM   #1
SonoranReefer
Registered Member

AP700 switch for better coverage?

Hello all, I currently have one AP700 over a 48”x19”x21” 85g tank. I have it mounted quote high off the water to get the most coverage I can since it’s covering 48”. To compensate it peaks at 70% and I have been getting ok growth.

I am currently able to get 3 Radion XR30 Gen 2’s. Would this be a better lighting solution for my tank if I pretty much come out even on the trade? I assume I’d get much better coverage and be able to mount the three lights lower so I’d have less light spill in the room as well.

SonoranReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 04:49 PM   #2
mfaso24
Registered Member

Easily yes. The radions wil give you better coverage over that size tank. I also run 1 ap700 on a standard 4 ft 75 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfaso24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 08:15 AM   #3
SonoranReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaso24 View Post
Easily yes. The radions wil give you better coverage over that size tank. I also run 1 ap700 on a standard 4 ft 75 gallon tank.

Yes for sure, I just wasn’t sure what the technology is like in the older Radions. I’m sure it’s still fine just am a little more curious about it!

What are you growing in your 75 with one AP700, do you have it mounted high? Running at a higher intensity?

Unread 02/25/2018, 08:22 AM   #4
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoranReefer View Post
Yes for sure, I just wasn’t sure what the technology is like in the older Radions. I’m sure it’s still fine just am a little more curious about it!

What are you growing in your 75 with one AP700, do you have it mounted high? Running at a higher intensity?

I have a mixed reef with mainly sps. I’m mounted about 15” off the area surface. I’ve been at 85% for a very long time and have recently been increasing intensity to see if I notice any difference.

Unread 02/25/2018, 08:34 AM   #5
SonoranReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a mixed reef with mainly sps. I’m mounted about 15” off the area surface. I’ve been at 85% for a very long time and have recently been increasing intensity to see if I notice any difference.

Wow nice, maybe I need to slow down/rethink this and give the AP700 credit. It looks like you are growing SPS just fine with the single AP700 mounted similarly to mine!

Unread 02/25/2018, 08:36 AM   #6
SonoranReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow nice, maybe I need to slow down/rethink this and give the AP700 credit. It looks like you are growing SPS just fine with the single AP700 mounted similarly to mine!

I mean I’m sure it could be better with maybe two AP700s or Two Radion XR30’s but not sure that’s 100% needed at the moment is what I’m saying. Maybe if I get more SPS dominant and need it to fill in for shading down the road I should lol at a 2nd AP700 or go with two - three XR30’s

Unread 02/25/2018, 08:38 AM   #7
mfaso24
Registered Member

AP700 switch for better coverage?

Quote:

Yeah it can definitely be done. You just have to be more aware of what pieces you put where. I definitely can not successfully grow and color acropora anywhere on the tank. If money wasn’t a question I would have a second fixture. But like I said, 3 radions, or even 2 for that matter, will probably make your life a little easier with sps, in that you’ll have more flexibility with where you can place pieces. Hope this helped

Unread 02/25/2018, 08:41 AM   #8
SonoranReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah it can definitely be done. You just have to be more aware of what pieces you put where. I definitely can not successfully grow and color acropora anywhere on the tank. If money wasn’t a question I would have a second fixture. But like I said, 2 radions will probably make your life a little easier with sps, in that you’ll have more flexibility with where you can place pieces. Hope this helped

Yes for sure it did! I’m also thinking about the future, and I’d like that future to hold a 6ft 180g or 225g. So in the back of my mind I’m also thinking about the best options for salvaging equipment, specifically the lights from this build over to that build. But that is likely a ways off at this point

Unread 02/25/2018, 09:20 AM   #9
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes for sure it did! I’m also thinking about the future, and I’d like that future to hold a 6ft 180g or 225g. So in the back of my mind I’m also thinking about the best options for salvaging equipment, specifically the lights from this build over to that build. But that is likely a ways off at this point

Just remember, if your new build is a ways away, technology is changing fast so we will have newer lights on the market at that point. Also these lights don’t last forever. They say 10 years but that may be a bit on the conservative side. If you want to repurpose other equipment, that’s fine. But I’d probably just focus on the lights for your current build because of the 2 reason I mentioned. That’s just me though

Unread 02/25/2018, 09:30 AM   #10
SonoranReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Just remember, if your new build is a ways away, technology is changing fast so we will have newer lights on the market at that point. Also these lights don’t last forever. They say 10 years but that may be a bit on the conservative side. If you want to repurpose other equipment, that’s fine. But I’d probably just focus on the lights for your current build because of the 2 reason I mentioned. That’s just me though

I just noticed you also have Bartlett’s Anthias! Beautiful Anthias imo, and hardier too from what I understand.

Unread 02/25/2018, 09:32 AM   #11
mfaso24
Registered Member

Quote:
I just noticed you also have Bartlett’s Anthias! Beautiful Anthias imo, and hardier too from what I understand.

Yeah I have 4. Love them. Also have 2 caryberri. They all get along great!