Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/20/2006, 07:43 PM   #1
yarrumretep
Premium Member

HELP : tank overflow / salinity way down

This is the first major incident I've had in my 2 years of reefkeeping. I'd greatly appreciate any input from experience folks on how to best recover.

I was out of town for a long weekend - during that time there were a couple of scheduled visits to feed and check on things. Apparently during the second visit, the skimmer (which was cleaned) was left leaning against the side of the sump, thus slowly exporting the water from it's exhaust gradually to my floor.

While this was happening my auto-top-off was working hard to keep up with the perceived higher evaporation rate - importing fresh RO/DI water. Thus, when I arrived home, the specific gravity of my water was down to 1.014 (or a little below that, even).

I have a 72G tank with a 20G (a bit less) sump.

The swimming critters all seem OK (ate when fed and are swimming actively)- but all corals / anenomae are completely retracted and my two tough-as-nails sea-stars appear to be in tough shape (lying limp not responding to light - but they do react to a poke).

So far, I've mixed a batch (5g) of slightly extra salty water (~1.028) and gotten the tank back to it's operating level of water. I'm currently adding salt directly to the sump in small doses to gradually increase the overall SG - it's now up to 1.016.

1) Is this the appropriate protocol to gradually bring the salinity back up? How slowly should I proceed with adding the salt?

2) Is there something additional I shoudl be doing to try to ease this trauma on my critters?

Any advice or perspective would be greatly appreciated.

-pete

yarrumretep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2006, 07:58 PM   #2
2crazyreefers
Registered Member

IMO it would be best to take 5 gallons out and add salt to it and after mixing put it back in doing so in small doses till you get it back correct.

Unread 03/20/2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Anemonebuff
Registered Member

Slow is good. But you may want to up it a knotch this time. A SG that low may take the corals and serpent stars. I would at least get it up to 1.021 before bed.

Anemonebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2006, 08:10 PM   #4
yarrumretep
Premium Member

Thanks for the input - how fast do you think I can take it up safely?

Unread 03/20/2006, 08:13 PM   #5
Scuba_Dave
EMERTXE YID

I've never been that low, but had a low of maybe 1.020
I brought it up to 1.025 over 4 hours
An immediate water change of 30g brought to almost up 1.024
I cycled it to my fuge 1st to dilute it, then switched on the pump to the main tank.
Waited 2+ hours, then did another water change

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Anemonebuff
Registered Member

Get it up to a 1.021 by the night's end. Raise it to a 1.023-1.025 by tomorrow.

Unread 03/20/2006, 08:31 PM   #7
yarrumretep
Premium Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm just under 1.017 at the moment. Will get it up into the 1.021 range tonight via addition of super-salty disolved mix. A bit more tomorrow morning and a bit more tomorrow evening.

The stars still have a bit of movement in them, but it's not clear they'll make it. The corals appear (maybe wishful thinking) to be a bit more relaxed than before. There's also a shrimp in there - saw him staggering around earlier - I"ve got my fingers crossed for him, but... Fish continue to be active and perky.

Thanks, again!

Unread 03/20/2006, 08:41 PM   #8
Anemonebuff
Registered Member

Good luck

Unread 03/20/2006, 09:36 PM   #9
yarrumretep
Premium Member

Update: Crossing 1.019... Sea star showed some movement, but still pretty listless. Other sea-star remains on his back - doesn't look good for him. Haven't seen the shrimp. Corals are still retracted (but it's dark now). Fish appear OK. They must be thinking "That was one heck of a rain storm"

Unread 04/10/2006, 05:46 PM   #10
yarrumretep
Premium Member

Low Salinity Resolved - everyone's OK

Thanks to ReefCentral folks for calming advice. I got the salinity back up to normal over an 18 hour period. Despite having looked quite sad (laying perfectly still on his back) the sea-star has recovered 100% and there were NO deaths in the tank. The corals are still getting back to their previous state, but all of the swimming critters are up and running at full-speed.

Thanks again, for the good advice. All of the tank life turned out OK in the end. Now, the hardwood flooring is another matter...

Cheers,

pete

Unread 04/10/2006, 07:47 PM   #11
jacksonsmom25
Registered Member

thanks for the update Pete! glad everything worked out ok, well except for your floors.

Current Tank Info: 55g SW, 15g Fowlr and 55g FW w/ pair of angelfish and misc tetras.
jacksonsmom25 is offline   Reply With Quote