Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Connecticut Area Regional Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/05/2012, 10:23 AM   #1
kjwcpm
Registered Member

Basics of mixing saltwater

Good morning to all.

Obviously, the practice of buying premixed saltwater can get pretty pricey. I'm at the stage where I need to think about "mixing my own". I've got some Instant Ocean salt, and the instructions are very straightforward. I do have a few basic questions for the group.

1. How long should water sit after mixing for the O2/CO2 to settle?
2. What parameters should be tested in home mixed water to ensure it is tank safe?
3. We have a whole home water softener installed. Is RO/DI really required on top of that, or is the household water fine as long as the softener does it's job and the Ph is stable?
4. The water softener is being used with solar salt, not potassium. Is it likely this will have an impact on the base salinity of the water before adding sea salt?

kjwcpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 10:29 AM   #2
mtc1966
Registered Member

water softener is not a filter so you still should get a ro/di unit . i mix my salt overnight then use it.the only thing i may check is salinity but thats just me.

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Current Tank Info: 58g main with 20g sump
mtc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 11:12 AM   #3
norrin_radd
Registered Member

+1 on filtration. and as far as params.. IO regular salt? i am pretty sure that stuff isn't "reef ready" if you don't have corals that will be fine but if you have a reef tank you should consider different salt or dosing 2 part. I mix up my salt let it sit for a day. or a few hours, if i get really lazy a day more, lol, bring it to tank temp, check sal and change. test after 5 hours if i feel i need to. but def get an ro unit...

Current Tank Info: 29g JBJ
norrin_radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Zalman
Registered Member

Io regular salt works fine. i used it for quite awhile and still use it to adjust salinity when i mix too low with reef crystals. supposedly alk is a bit high in io regular but i have never tested it.

you would absolutely need an rodi unit to make your water... i let my salt mix for 24 hours minimum. but i make 50+ gallons at a time and have a tiny powerhead. I know some people just wait for the water to clear up. in my set up i only check salinity before adding it. you could check ph and alk... i havent had an issue yet so i personally dont... once salinity and temp are good i just dump it in

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon tank
Zalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 12:05 PM   #5
billryan
Registered Member

You need to check your water with a TDS meter (total dissolved solids) the aim is 0 TDS, but that won't happen unless you have an ro/di unit. Many people use tap water but it needs to be treated before mixing. Also, a tank using tap water may all of a sudden start crashing after a year or so, & you will be so baffled as to the cause. You can buy the RO watercatvyour LFS and mix it yourself instead of buying premade.

Current Tank Info: 120 DT
billryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 12:06 PM   #6
kjwcpm
Registered Member

This is why I love coming to this group so much! RODI it is then. As for quantity, it's a Pico tank so I'm only looking at making water in small amounts (< 5 gallons).

Unread 06/05/2012, 12:07 PM   #7
billryan
Registered Member

BTW mixed saltwater can stay in a barrel with a power head indefinitely. I keep a heater in it too.

Current Tank Info: 120 DT
billryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 12:21 PM   #8
EllieSuz
Premium Member

Mixing saltwater in a five gallon bucket is a breeze. Always add salt to the water, not water to the salt. I add an approximate amount to the water; with Instant Ocean, a heaping half cup per gallon gets you close to ideal. I have a long handled spoon to stir it at this point. Always use a refractometer to measure specific gravity once the mix has been brought to temperature and mixed well. The temperature of the water affects the salinity. You may have to add a little salt or a little water to the mix to reach your desired salinity. When the temperature and salinity match your tank, let it sit until you're ready to do your water change, at least overnight. The bucket should contain a small heater and a small powerhead. Instant Ocean salt mix has improved much over the years and I've used it without complaint for years.

Eileen

Current Tank Info: I'm out of the hobby, but used to have a60 gal. reef, refugium in sump, Internal Mag 9 return, SC 302 skimmer, two Maxi-Jet 1200's modded, four bulb T5 Lighting, Reefkeeper Lite Controller with three PC4's, Little Fishes GFO reactor.
EllieSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 12:39 PM   #9
kjwcpm
Registered Member

@ norrin

Quote:
if you don't have corals that will be fine
I'm just cycling right now. There are a few CUC critters (which I've been told either shouldn't be in there, or no problem that they're in there depending on the person) and started with live rock and live sand. Until this thing cycles properly, no livestock will touch the water.

@bill

Quote:
but it needs to be treated before mixing
Meaning adding buffers? Or additional treatments?

Unread 06/05/2012, 01:00 PM   #10
Zalman
Registered Member

Mixed saltwater can stay in a barrel without heat just would need to be warmed prior to adding to a tank. a small powerhead would be a good idea

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon tank
Zalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 08:37 PM   #11
charleneatkins
Registered Member

Hi Kevin,
I am not sure the cost would be warranted for a 4 gallon tank but it probably wont be long before you upgrade My husband found a unit and tester online very reasonable but you may find 1 on the forum as well.

I probably spill more in a week than your water change. For now you are welcome to stop by and get ro water or some mix, I am using IO reef,if needed for free.

Just as there are so many members so are there methods. You just have to find the 1 that works for you.

welcome to both a rewarding and frustrating hobby Charlene

Current Tank Info: 28,55 & 90g mixed reef,10G FW

Last edited by charleneatkins; 06/05/2012 at 09:28 PM.
charleneatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 08:57 PM   #12
shecter
Registered Member

I use well water unfiltered and have for the past 2 years. It all depends on the source. I'm sure rodi water is better for the tank but you can be successful without it. I do plan on buying an rodi in the future but for now I'm going all natural. I don't use buffers or treatments either. But I do use red sea coral pro salt. Not sure if that would matter. I also know of someone that uses unfiltered city water that's full of clorine. They have great growth and color. Just wanted to add something from the unfiltered side of the hobby :-)

shecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 09:07 PM   #13
mtc1966
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecter View Post
. I also know of someone that uses unfiltered city water that's full of clorine. They have great growth and color. Just wanted to add something from the unfiltered side of the hobby :-)
doe he /she treat the water? i have ro/di but i still use a chlorine remover before i use it.

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Unread 06/05/2012, 09:14 PM   #14
shecter
Registered Member

I believe they use a dechlorinator type treatment but I'm not sure. I know chlorine will disapate in 24 hours if left to sit in a bucket or whatever you use to mix in :-)

shecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 10:02 PM   #15
Joshz400_03
Registered Member

Only use RO/DI water. Make your water and let it sit overnight with an airstone in it to up the ph. Add salt/heater/powerhead and let it mix for a few hours. I usually let it go for about 4 hours which by then it's up to temperature. I usually mix 10 gallons at a time for water changes.

Unread 06/06/2012, 07:36 AM   #16
md4958
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwcpm View Post
This is why I love coming to this group so much! RODI it is then. As for quantity, it's a Pico tank so I'm only looking at making water in small amounts (< 5 gallons).
If its just a pico tank it might not be cost effective for you to spend the money on a RODI unit if your only going to be performing .5 to 1 gallon water changes. You can purchase RO water from Walmart in gallon jugs for about $.89 per gallon (it has the lime green cap and is labeled "Great Value Drinking").

I use Reef Crystals as it is formulated with extra "stuff" for reefs (including calcium). Get yourself 2- 5gallon buckets from HomeDepot, one to mix the saltwater, one to use for your water removal. Just follow the instructions on the package for the proper dosage of salt to water.

Ideally I like to throw a powerhead in the bucket along with a heater and thermometer and let it go overnight. I say ideally because it doesnt always happen that way, sometimes I just let it mix up for a couple hours. Test your salinity after its been mixing for a while, as it can change (this is why overnight mixing is preferred). If youre doing a 1 gallon waterchange, it would probably benefit you to mix up two gallons, and have 1 gallon on hand in case of an emergency.

Another tip- The first time I mixed up my salt water I used the gallon RO water jugs from Walmart. After every gallon I marked the side of the bucket in permanent marker all the way to the top. I then transferred that water into the other bucket and used the "marked" bucket for my discarded water. Now I can see when I have 1 gallon, 2, 3 etc of removed water in the bucket with no guessing.

md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 08:56 AM   #17
kjwcpm
Registered Member

Thanks to all for some awesome tips. Charlene - I may take you up on your offer considering how little water will be changed.

Still at a frustrating ammonia 1, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0 stage. May need to think about introducing some bacteria into the system another way....

Unread 06/06/2012, 10:08 AM   #18
charleneatkins
Registered Member

sent pm

Current Tank Info: 28,55 & 90g mixed reef,10G FW
charleneatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 02:13 PM   #19
mtc1966
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwcpm View Post
Thanks to all for some awesome tips. Charlene - I may take you up on your offer considering how little water will be changed.

Still at a frustrating ammonia 1, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0 stage. May need to think about introducing some bacteria into the system another way....
small piece of raw shrimp will kick it into gear or just adding some fish food will also do the trick .

Unread 06/06/2012, 07:23 PM   #20
OK
Registered Member

If your going to buy water don't use the green cap... you might as well use well water. You'd be surprised where bottled drinking water comes from and how it is allowed to be marketed. Although the green cap water could be distilled and not just "spring", it usually involves copper coils. Chance are it is highly treated well water.

Check this out:
http://www.theledger.com/article/200...NEWS/803220380

The Purple cap water at Walmart is filtered by reverse osmosis and would be a better choice.

OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 07:34 PM   #21
ClemQuat
Registered Member

Welcome to the hobby kjwcpm! My best advice to you is to find something that works and stick with it and improve it as you see fit. We just bought a TDS meter a few months ago and have had a RO/DI unit for over a year. We didn't see it as a necessity but decided to get it out of curiosity. We don't buffer our water and use the standard IO salt.

I think everyone has different experiences with different products and methods and it's finding what fits your budget, time constraints, and space. There is no set rule in this hobby (which as an engineer I severely struggle with). I've learned to go with the flow and let your tank's behavior guide you.

Jenn

Unread 06/06/2012, 07:35 PM   #22
mtc1966
Registered Member

yes i used to use purple cap

Unread 06/06/2012, 08:50 PM   #23
md4958
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK View Post
If your going to buy water don't use the green cap... you might as well use well water. You'd be surprised where bottled drinking water comes from and how it is allowed to be marketed. Although the green cap water could be distilled and not just "spring", it usually involves copper coils. Chance are it is highly treated well water.

Check this out:
http://www.theledger.com/article/200...NEWS/803220380

The Purple cap water at Walmart is filtered by reverse osmosis and would be a better choice.

Ive been using this "well water" for over 18 months and its worked "well" enough for me.

md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 09:24 PM   #24
laxb0rder
Registered Member

I use the green cap water that says processed by reverse osmosis and tested it with a cheep tds meter and it read 004 ppm tds. way better then my well water which is around 250/60 with the same meter.

laxb0rder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 10:12 PM   #25
arteaction
Registered Member

For the amount of water you need to make I suggest ...Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter
It's a DI unit that hooks to your faucet. It removes everything you need... Sedimate chlorine etc. I used one for 2 years before investing into a good ro/DI in which I needed do to upgrading and volume. The filter will last you a while since your noty making tons of water. Dr fosters has it for 40 right now and the extra filters are 20. It's perfect for nano tanks. The facet attachment screws on and off and if it doesn't fit homedepot will have one that will .

Current Tank Info: 29 gal Bio with fuge/29g w 10g sump&T5/20g long frag tank HOB sump/26 Bow HOB sump/T5 future seahorse tank/90 in the works...Can't get a fill of watching my Blue Spot Jawfish "Muppet" Jim Henson creation come to life... RIP :(
arteaction is offline   Reply With Quote